Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Change in the Champions league?

• 18-02-2010 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭

Have they changed the scheduling of the last 16 fixtures this year? Will the rest of the games be played next week? Its this year the final is on a saturday isnt it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Yes. Last 16 is now over 4 weeks. I like the idea tbh. Very good idea. I think the final's on a Saturday this year too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

joe123 wrote: »
    Have they changed the scheduling of the last 16 fixtures this year? Will the rest of the games be played next week? Its this year the final is on a saturday isnt it?

The last sexteen is being played over a 2 week schedule. 2 nights this week, with two games each night, two games next week with two games each night, then the reverse fixtures over another two weeks.

It increases money available from sponsors, as UEFA can offer an extra 4 matchdays this way.

It also gives people a greater choice of match to watch, so isn't really a bad thing.

And yes, the final is on a Saturday, which is crap. I used to have to book a day and a half off work for the CL Final in previous years, which was easy. Now I have to explain to her indoors that I'm taking a weekend out for the CL Final :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Thanks for the info. Have to say I like the idea of it being spread out now but HATE the idea of the final being on a saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

joe123 wrote: »
    Yes four games played this week and four next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I think their hand was forced as well due to the fact that both Milan clubs were drawn at home for the first leg of their ties.. They didn't want Chelsea and United fans being in the same city a day apart... This happened a couple of seasons ago as well, but they had all the fixtures in one week apart from Inter's. They played the following week...

Think its a good idea the way it is split over a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

You can't please everyone. But I think it waters down the event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I think their hand was forced as well due to the fact that both Milan clubs were drawn at home for the first leg of their ties.. They didn't want Chelsea and United fans being in the same city a day apart... This happened a couple of seasons ago as well, but they had all the fixtures in one week apart from Inter's. They played the following week...

Think its a good idea the way it is split over a few weeks.

The decision to spread the games out where done before a ball was kicked. Nothing to do with the last 16 draw.

I also think that on the same Saturday as the Champions League Final is the Championship Play-off Final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

As one said cant please everyone.

It will be strange having final on Saturday but get used it.

Personally it 2 days less to take for people to take who dont work weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Ye think i remember reading somewhere it was because they wanted to make it more a family thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Final on a saturday is great in terms of getting to the bloody thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Don't mind the Saturday myself - as long as it's still an evening game I'm ok with it.
    Spreading the last 16 out is a joke though. 3 weeks to decide a tie is too long. As someone said, it waters it down for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Its good they changed it to a weekend Final, more in line with nearly all climax's to competetitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Very happy with the schedule changes, gives everyone the opportunity to watch more live games, more revenue for the sponsors, more revenue for the clubs, hope they stick with it.

Advertisement