Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDF

Options
  • 18-02-2010 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

I am working on a .NET application that requires creating and outputting PDF files. Did quite a bit of googling but the free ones are too basic and I don't want to pay for one that is no good.

Can anybody recommend one? Free or otherwise?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

I haven't used it myself but I have heard that iTextSharp isn't bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

PDFLIB is good, but pricey. You can download a eval version to try it out.

http://www.pdflib.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 paul.mcguinness

http://www.pdfsharp.net/wiki/HelloWorld-sample.ashx

its open source so its free, although it is crude it works. If you are logical you should be able to create a template(through .net) and use it to parse your data into the API and just render it. Other wise the best thing to do is generate a jpeg or bmp with the data and just place the image into the pdf object.

Dont ask me though i only used it once.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭ViperMAN

Thanks everyone,

I will have a look at the resources provided and decide which one best suits.

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 paul.mcguinness

iTextSharp was by far the most flexible free api i have come across. It is a bit complicated but works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭ViperMAN

iTextSharp was by far the most flexible free api i have come across. It is a bit complicated but works

I have to agree, I looked at all the options and I decided to go with iTextSharp. Considering its free it is spot on for my needs.

As some may know PDFs can have from fields, so users can enter data and print a copy. With iTextSharp you can programatically enter data into these fields and output as a 'sealed' PDF. This is especially good if the majority of a document is the same for users with only a few minor dynamic bits. This reduces the need to create a new document from scratch everytime- just open an existing one, enter your data in the fields and output. (Only problem is creating PDFs with form fields in them in the first place, Acrobat Pro is 450 dollars and the free ones aren't great....thank god for the free trial!).

Anyway, I definetly recommend it. I don't even think its a bit complicated, was quite easy with plenty of tutorials and samples..... and I am by no means a great programmer :D

Advertisement