Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

any of you with loud amps for home use

• 18-02-2010 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭

if you have an amp with 6l6 power tubes , that are waay to loud to play at home .

I got a set of TONEBONES which are adapters that let you put in EL84 tubes in triode mode .

this reduces the power down to about 8 watts ( for my mesa boogie f 50 )

and you get lovely cross between mesa and ac 30 sounds.

you can play at wayy more reasonalbe volumes and have loads of nice power tube overdrive .

its great .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

DaDumTish wrote: »
    if you have an amp with 6l6 power tubes , that are waay to loud to play at home .

I got a set of TONEBONES which are adapters that let you put in EL84 tubes in triode mode .

this reduces the power down to about 8 watts ( for my mesa boogie f 50 )

and you get lovely cross between mesa and ac 30 sounds.

you can play at wayy more reasonalbe volumes and have loads of nice power tube overdrive .

its great .

Ooh! You get 'em in a shop or online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

But the different tubes would change the sound of the amp, wouldn't they? Wouldn't a power attenuator be a much better option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Interesting! I've a Fender Blues deluxe that never get's used to it's full potential, this sounds great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

El Pr0n wrote: »
    But the different tubes would change the sound of the amp, wouldn't they? Wouldn't a power attenuator be a much better option?

PA will compress and remove some dynamics of the tone ,

this setup allows you to get the full tone and feel at a much lower volume - yes it changes the valve tone - but I wanted a more ac 30 tone in my case.

you can get them here

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/product_info.php?products_id=668

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Murphyt

I use a blues Deville and recently bought a THD hotplate attenuator, I have to say it is great, it does alter the sound slightly but the low and bright switch really compensates for most of it. Plus you can just change your settings, I mean as you turn an amp up the tone will change anyway so if you were to play the amp loud you would probably have to change your tone settings. Definitely less tone alteration than changing your tubes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

thats great , but for any of you with ears ,

trust me on this , its far better than a hotplate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Murphyt

DaDumTish wrote: »
    thats great , but for any of you with ears ,

woohoo jesus put your panties back on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Its EL34s in the JCM800, so I'm outta luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Ive a 40 watt DSL combo with EL84's , my neighbours despise me .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

LpPepper wrote: »
    Ive a 40 watt DSL combo with EL84's , my neighbours despise me .

Isn't the JCM2000 fine at lower volumes since it doesn't really get any power tube saturation?

• Advertisement

Sandvich wrote: »
    Isn't the JCM2000 fine at lower volumes since it doesn't really get any power tube saturation?

If you have the master cranked it does (Thats what i do) . I use the channel volume to adjust my volume level . You dont get much power tube saturation when the channel volume is cranked and the master is used to adjust volume levels .

And tube saturation has to do with your tone not volume level ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Has anyone tried one of those 'powerbrake' gadgets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

I recently bought the new series one 200 head from Blackstar and it has a feature call DPR (dynamic power reduction)where you turn the amps wattage down to 20w from 200watts with no loss of tone from the valves and output stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Paolo_M

If you have the master cranked it does (Thats what i do) . I use the channel volume to adjust my volume level . You dont get much power tube saturation when the channel volume is cranked and the master is used to adjust volume levels .

Em, no.
    None of this is true at all.
    But whatever makes you happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I have a 69 marshall super bass that on 0 would wake hell. as you can imagine i cant use it in my house.

i dimed it in a rehearsal studio with a les paul once. it was like the voice of god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

The Master being cranked and the channel volume being down doesn't really add to the tube saturation. The Tube saturation isn't coming from the position of the Master Volume knob, it's how much signal is actually going through the power tubes. If a very small signal is going into the power tubes, it's not going to break up. You'll possibly get a "different" sound doing what you're doing but you won't get more tube saturation.

Sandvich wrote: »
    The Master being cranked and the channel volume being down doesn't really add to the tube saturation. The Tube saturation isn't coming from the position of the Master Volume knob, it's how much signal is actually going through the power tubes. If a very small signal is going into the power tubes, it's not going to break up. You'll possibly get a "different" sound doing what you're doing but you won't get more tube saturation.

My mistake , i meant the other way around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Paolo_M

My mistake , i meant the other way around

As stated earlier, it's neither way around.

You do not get power valve distortion a low volumes with a DSL.

Not sure who told you this but it is incorrect.

A PPIMV (post phase inverter master volume) will allow you distort your phase inverter and low volumes (the phase inverter is part of the power amp) but this is a mod and not a standard on any Marshall that I'm aware of, and I'm aware of most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Has anyone tried one of those 'powerbrake' gadgets?

The word on the street is that the Marshall Powerbrake is the suckiest attenuator on the market.

I have a THD Hotplate. It's... okay. It'll certainly change your tone less than putting in a different type of valve, and it works very well knocked down only 4-8db (which is more or less the power reduction you'll get by changing a quad of 6L6 or EL34 for 6V6 or EL84). But at low level it makes the 4x12 sound... frustrated.

I may buy a Weber MASS attenuator at some stage in the near future. Apparently they rock the low volume etc.

Advertisement