Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fluke dose/ injection

• 18-02-2010 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

i do all milkers at drying off with flukiver , was just talking to vet in vet college and he said all flukicides except zanil are being withdrawn for lactating cow use , what do you use ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

only have suckler cattle..
    used closamectin last year--1st time..
    or inject all cattle over a year with trodax...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

did you see some guy had put an add in donedeal about closamectin saying he lost cows after using it and stuff like that..think he just wanted to put info out there..used it myself without issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

seen that..a bit of scare mongering!
    i found nothing wrong with it..cattle have been find

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I did all suckler cows with Trodax, I know it doesen't do early stages of fluke but injection is easier than dosing. Anyone come across rumen fluke in PMs or in the factory, just wondering how widespread the problem is? IFJ had an article earlier, said Zanil was the only effective dose for rumen fluke.:confused:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

cow i sent to ucd had rumen fluke:rolleyes: yes there is zanil and another cheaper version to deal with it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

There are Rumen Fluke around but there always have been. Until now they've been considered non-pathogenic. Immatures in the gut, prior to migration to the rumen, are the normal cause of problems.
    Most livestock have only light stomach fluke infections. They show no signs of disease due to either adult fluke or small numbers of immature fluke.
    When the vegetation is grazed by ruminants, the immature fluke ex-cysts and attaches itself to the walls of the small intestine. It later migrates to the rumen and reticulum to become an egg-producing adult. In light infections, young flukes migrate to the rumen within 4–6 weeks and normally no clinical symptoms occur. Egg production begins soon after the fluke enter the rumen.
    In heavy infections, development of the young flukes is retarded and they can stay in the small intestine for more than four months and cause severe disease associated with destruction of the lining of the small intestine. In a severe outbreak, up to 72,000 immature flukes may be present in the small intestine.

The lab results indicate the presence of eggs confirming the presence of adults but it's hard to pin down the significance.

Presence plus associated signs of infestation hardens certainty.

Response to the, then justifiable, treatment will give a final answer.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Levafas and Pharmazan also contain the active ingredient of Zanil, in combination with levamisole.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

more new regulations for the dairy herd

sorry about poor quality of scan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭theroad

We grazed the heifers in a wet field this summer (couldn't find a dry one), and one of them was persistently dirty & scoury. Dung tests showed rumen fluke so we dosed the lot and the problem went away. I think it depends in part on how wet the summer is.

Advertisement