Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"An Smaoineamh Mor": For Sligo

Options
  • 18-02-2010 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭

Hi there

Heard on the news last night about An Smaoineamh mor: the ideas thing started by the presidents husband to promote ideas for helping Ireland. Had alook at some of the ideas HERE

Some good ones and some daft ones like relocating the Vatican to Cavan.

Why dont we have it here with ideas to improve things is Sligo? These could be passed on to the powers that be or to people we think might be willing and able to action them.

One idea I have for tourism is that every tourist office has current and good flyers and info for Sligo, every tourist facility the same (e.g Sligo airport has full tourist info for county Sligo) and any website also. Im willing to send info to the appropriate sites and even put flyers in the Dublin Tourist Office in Suffolk street.

Any ideas?

(Please make any negative/ironic ideas/comments very, very funny or else leave them out):)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

an idea i seen on another forum, make all social welfare recepiants have random drug tests, failure=no more monies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Getting kids out looking after green areas.

(it might encourage some of their lazy-assed parents to look after their surroundings.)

/seeths at neighbours...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

gino85 wrote: »
    an idea i seen on another forum, make all social welfare recepiants have random drug tests, failure=no more monies

Very good idea if they class alcohol as a drugs too. Don't rule out one drug and allow the other.

That way only working people are allowed to drink and get stoned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

T runner wrote: »
    Heard on the news last night about An Smaoineamh mor: the ideas thing started by the presidents husband to promote ideas for helping Ireland.

Reading that, the first two things to be done to help Ireland should be to (A) Reduce the billion or so of borrow money spent on promoting the Irish language and duplicating translating government publications in to Irish which nobody reads
    (B) Reduce the pay and pensions of our Presidents, past and present, and their perks and foreign junkets and privilidges and hangers on. Our country is only the population size of a medium size city on the world scale, and cannot afford all our politicians, junkets, embassies , you name it.
    Let the presidents husband do some good for the country - and the environment - by occassionally turning off unwanted lights + radiators in unoccupied rooms at night in his palace, instead of ridiculing someone who tried to do that ( as he did on the late late last night). His tv appearance was a self promoting publicity exercise for him to get the Presidents job when his missus retires on her big fat pension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

I thought the tax exemptions for artists film makers etc was a good move for Ireland to build our International profile. I think having creativity about is a good thing and it certainly helped in Galways developement and peoples perception of it as a great place to live and work.

Wondering is there any way we could encourage more Art/Culture/Music etc in Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Getting kids out looking after green areas.

(it might encourage some of their lazy-assed parents to look after their surroundings.)

/seeths at neighbours...

I agree completely. Id say the poor tidy towns people in Sligo have it very tough.

Im sure if they had a few armies of youngsters a lot of the litter could be cleared quickly enough.

And ofcourse it might encourage a dose of responsibility from said parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I defiantly think that the tourism potential in Sligo is not being fully developed but I think unfortunately weather has a lot to do with it, for example not too many people can go surfing 365 days a year.
    jimmmy wrote: »
    Reduce the billion or so of borrow money spent on promoting the Irish language and duplicating translating government publications in to Irish which nobody reads

Billion or so! Where did you get that figure from?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 livinginlucan

gino85 wrote: »

And what sort of drug tests do you mean? Alcohol? Cigarettes? Coffee? ( All drugs) Who would do the testing? Where? How often? Why not have booths at the dole office so that all the brilliant talented out of work people who have recently lost their jobs can be tested..... Brilliant idea.... Yeah !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 blackhawkdown

DROP THE DRUGS TESTING ARGUEMENTS GUYS! there's two side to this and neither are going to meet. stop hogging boardwidth for a cliched side conversation.

HERE'S AN IDEA FOR SLIGO INSTEAD...

its clear to me that prices on the east coast and other areas are higher than sligo. i reckon this is coz sligo is competing with enniskillen. that is never going to change. but complaining about it and trying to shame shoppers is the wrong approach. (ha ha nice try fat tee-shock)

sligo must advertise itself from mayo to maynooth as a cheaper shopping destination. its time to compete with the midlands, not the north.

radio ads, press, etc. combined efforts from sligo chamber etc. the other counties will hate us for it, but its about competition, and survival of the fittest.

why should we shoulder the impact of lower cross border prices alone? lets compete with counties in the catchment area. its about competition.

some people dont want to go north as its (1) disloyal and (2) a scary place for some. this is an alternative.

in sligo u can get 68 pampers size 5 nappies for 11.98 in the chemist on holborn street - that must be THE LOWEST PRICE IN THE COUNTRY. same products in Super Valu and Tescos seem more expensive the further from the border you go, etc...

wot u think?:)

Advertisement