Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's being built just west of Enfield on the M4?

• 18-02-2010 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

Could it be Ireland's first motorway services?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭SeanW

I think so. Not sure though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Yep, there are two being built on the M1 at the moment also. Don't know which will open first! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

This post has been deleted.
    That makes no sense as the service areas will be gold mines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

JHMEG wrote: »

And surely now would be the best time to purchase the sites, when land prices are low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

It'll be nice to finally see proper rest stops on Irish motorways, could do with one somewhere between Cork and Dublin.

Drove the M9 from Kilkenny back to the M7 last night for the first time, lovely new road, but only saw one lay-by along that stretch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I don't think so. There's no need to stop on the Dublin - Galway route anyway, just not a long enough drive to justify stopping for anything, sure you'll do it in about 2.5 hrs these days. Can't see too many people stopping for a break/ lunch etc on such a short trip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I don't know, just look at Mother Hubbards on the old N4, you were only a stones throw out of Dublin and lots of people would stop there for a break and a bit of grub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

KevR wrote: »
    And surely now would be the best time to purchase the sites, when land prices are low.

I cant see land prices increasing for the forseeable future. In fact they will decrease further in the next few years. NAMA might have something to say about that though. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Is the price tag correct? For 3 stations? Where is the value for money?

• Advertisement

I don't think so. There's no need to stop on the Dublin - Galway route anyway, just not a long enough drive to justify stopping
    If you need petrol or a slash you have no choice but to stop, or leave the motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Jip wrote: »
    I don't know, just look at Mother Hubbards on the old N4, you were only a stones throw out of Dublin and lots of people would stop there for a break and a bit of grub.

It took longer than 2 and a half hours to get from one to the other back then though.

MH is near Moyvalley. With pre-M4 Enfield/Maynooth/Leixlip traffic, youd do well to get to the city in an hour from there back in 'day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Nah, it wouldn't have been Dublin to there at 2/2.5 hours unless you got stuck in particularly bad traffic on a Friday evening, it was nowhere near that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't think so. There's no need to stop on the Dublin - Galway route anyway, just not a long enough drive to justify stopping for anything, sure you'll do it in about 2.5 hrs these days. Can't see too many people stopping for a break/ lunch etc on such a short trip

One word: FUEL

My personal car can barely do Dublin - Galway on a tank (30l, high fuel consumption hot hatch). Stations either on or clearly signed from motorways are absolutely essential.

I've done the Galway Clinic to my office in Tallaght in 91 minutes, btw - 2.5hrs is very, very pessimistic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

MYOB wrote: »
    I've done the Galway Clinic to my office in Tallaght in 91 minutes, btw - 2.5hrs is very, very pessimistic!

Absolutely, Leixlip -> Galway took me around 90mins on a Saturday, it's only around 120 miles, so about 130km/h average speed.

You must have floored it, no wonder you nearly need a refill to get down! "11 seconds, i fukin' floored it Fintan":D

One word: FUEL

My personal car can barely do Dublin - Galway on a tank (30l, high fuel consumption hot hatch). Stations either on or clearly signed from motorways are absolutely essential.

That's around 130 miles, putting your average speed at ~87 mph.

I did a test in a small hatch a while back. Fuel consumption doubled at those kind of speeds. Bigger engines will cope better with speed, small engines get hammered and lose all their economy advantages.

That's around 130 miles, putting your average speed at ~87 mph.

I did a test in a small hatch a while back. Fuel consumption doubled at those kind of speeds. Bigger engines will cope better with speed, small engines get hammered and lose all their economy advantages.

The 91 minutes is in a middle sized diesel carvan not my own car; and yes that'd be my motorway cruising speed more or less.

My own car would still be running it tight doing it at ~75mph, though. It doesn't have fuel economy advantages at any speed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

So there will be no services on the Dublin-Cork route??

baalthor wrote: »
    So there will be no services on the Dublin-Cork route??

No NRA-anointed ones yet.

There are 4 service stations Cork-bound between the M50 and the M7, and 2 Dublin-bound. There is also going to be a privately set up (Topaz/McDonalds rather than Applegreen/Burger King) one right off the M8 at Cashel.

The NRA has plans for two or possibly three along the route eventually - one at Kilworth is all I can remember right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭SeanW

Here's what I dont understand about the Motorway Service Areas.

You have to think that sometimes there won't be all that many people using them, and that it might have been a better idea, i.e. made each MSA building more viable to run, if they had just built one per site and made ramps connecting both carriageways to/from a single MSA instead of one each side.

Why was side-by-side model chosen?

• Advertisement

To cut down on the initial costs of an overbridge, I'd suspect. Single sided would make a lot more sense - you'd be able to provide a lot more services for a starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

MOST will be single sided with a bridge but the busier ones will be two sided with no bridge.

All three under construction now are dual-sided, though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Service stations are built at half way points not just outside Dublin.

Stupid planning again.:mad:

The points should be
    M6 Moate Kilbegan
    M7 Mountrath Borris in ossary
    M8 Urlingford -Johnstown
    M9 Carlow

These are the correct areas for service areas.

If I'm travelling from the West doing a long haul drive I'm not gonna stop near Dublin at ****ing Enfield and the same applies for the opposite direcdtion starting at Dublin, its utterly pointless to stop this close to Dublin aswell.

Well the M4 services will get traffic from the M4 and the M6, and I would say where they are building services sees the greatest volume of traffic on the M4/M6, and makes sense.

The west consists of far more than Galway.

mysterious wrote: »
    Service stations are built at half way points not just outside Dublin.

Stupid planning again.:mad:

The points should be
    M6 Moate Kilbegan
    M7 Mountrath Borris in ossary
    M8 Urlingford -Johnstown
    M9 Carlow

These are the correct areas for service areas.

If I'm travelling from the West doing a long haul drive I'm not gonna stop near Dublin at ****ing Enfield and the same applies for the opposite direcdtion starting at Dublin, its utterly pointless to stop this close to Dublin aswell.

One per motorway is not enough distance wise. Your suggestions are all pointless by virtue of being too *far* from Dublin.

Conventional wisdom is that you have a service area every 45-50km or so. The UK rule is 27 miles - but they often have them much closer. Enfield makes sense as the first site for the M4/M6 in this case. A little further west would be grand too but it saves having to build a further set close by on the M4 by having them before the turnoff.

I would suspect the exact site was picked for land price reasons. Also bear in mind that a lot of traffic is not coming "from Dublin", but off other routes via the M50 (and vice versa). There won't have been a services since Lusk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Their original plan for M4/6 was one every 60km. That means one at Enfield, one east of Athlone. However, with the M6/17/18 one at Rathmorrisey gone, they need one between Loughrea and Ballinasloe.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Here's a shot of the westbound work site, taken from the mainline. Some progress earth works, but overall they seem to be behind when compared with the M1 MSAs, where steel superstructure has been erected.

M4services-2.JPG

/csd

I think there's more to it that that, which you can see when coming from the opposite side.

• Advertisement

The steel superstructure for both is erected with the roof being on the westbound one! The westbound one isn't easily visible when heading west due to a pile of earth

The steel superstructure for both is erected with the roof being on the westbound one! The westbound one isn't easily visible when heading west due to a pile of earth

That's what I thought tho I wasn't sure if the primitive barn structure was part of the finished plan, or temporary storage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

Why is anyone surprised at the way or location service stations are being built ? The same NRA once thought a hedge was ok as a central crash barrier unlike rest of EU, no rest stops, no proper motorway interscections etc....

Advertisement