Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

With Vodafone, moving house and eircom expect me to pay connection fee??

• 18-02-2010 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭

I'm livid, currently on voda at home, happy with the service, in contract till sept.

moving house in two weeks and the new house has a broadband enabled line, but its disconnected.

called eircom this morning, and they said they'll reconnect the line but i'll be in contract with them for 6 months. (not a chance!!)

called voda and told them what eircom said, the voda cc gave the correct info, if i want to stay with voda, eircom will charge me €130 to reconnect the line before i can resume my service with voda on it, otherwise i can get it reconnected for little or nothing provided i go with eircom for six months (meaning i'll have to pay cancellation fees with voda)

I've never liked eircom, and i never want to be their customer.

how can those crooks get away with this? €130 just to flip a switch/press a button???

It boggles the mind

I'm not expecting voda to be able to help, just wanted to rant here.

I'm half thinking of getting the line connected and as soon as it is getting my voda switch done and ignoring the 130 bill.....they dont deserve it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

eircom have imposed a minimum 6 month term on all new connections now, or you can pay to get out of it. They started this in December, and there's no way around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

I got caught with this as well.

Have fun trying to get them to put in an order for anything above 1meg at the new address.

:rolleyes:

I eventually did get it sorted after some persuasion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Well i got back onto vodafone and the girl i spoke to has just told me the opposite if what i heard earlier. providing theres a line in the new house (there is) and its BB enabled (it is) they can move my service over to it, no eircom involved, no fee, i just have to email vodafone requesting it (i just did) and it can take between 10-30 working days.

eircom can shove it up their hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

AFAIK eircom only brought in that 6 month contract after other companies are able to order installs.

When it is a full install there can be problems getting the info right but when there is a line in-situ Vodafone or others can put in the order to have it reactivated.

People say that eircom will be slower getting these lines re-connected but people say a lot of things,

so basically and generally if there is an eircom phone point in a house not active you dont have to go to eircom to get service on it, you dont need to ever see an eircom bill

• Registered Users Posts: 27 bogfire

I am with Vodafone - moving house - Vodafone agreed to move the account to the new house - but it would take max 40 working days. After 10 days I called to see if there was any progress - but they had no record of the call or email I sent them requesting the move. Eircom have warned me that they will block me from getting a separate new contract from Eircom into the new location - and they can do it legally.

They are curs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Davag

I am in the middle of this right now. Wanted bb with UK calls from vodafone package €45, eircom can do this but no package and cost of approx €70+. anyway i digress.

Rang eircom to put in line. "special" promo running where there is no cost. had to wait 5 days for engr. not bad i guess considering 10 years ago had to wait 6 weeks.... ended up i didn't need an engr. at all as the line was already in the house and just needed a switch at the exchange.

eircom are the infrastructure suppliers. from day line is activiated they provide you with a 7 day or so cooling off period before you enter into the 6 month contract. This is supposed to allow you to select the supplier of choice. However my friends at voda have a 10 day turn around time to transfer the line from eircom to them. Once the line is transfered you have to wait for a 21 day turn around time to get broadband turned on. I must add that these are SLA times and they possibly do it much quicker.

the cooling off period is something you must confirm with eircom as i guess this is in their T&Cs. I got very mixed information when i discussed this with them.

Anyway once the line is switched to voda or any other supplier within the cooling off period then you don't have to contract with eircom.

bottom line is - on new line installations its a mess - comreg get your finger out and provide clarity to the consumer. In most situations this is exactly the same in the UK where BT manage the infrastructure and you can change suppliers easy. Here in my beloved efficient Ireland - you get scewed with little information and guidence.

My opinion with the current way its worked you should have room to move between suppliers with ease. Why can i not order a line from the infrastructure supplier and be offered which service provider I would like to work with ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 NJR

Hi,
    Hoping someone can give me some advice?
    Took our a broadband and phone line contract with Eircom in Feb 2010. Moved house in September 2010 so cancelled the existing account and opened new one.
    I am now wanting to move to mobile broadband with Meteor and have rung Eircom to cancel the account but they have told me that i am locked in for a year. I told them that the first years contract has expired and they said that a new one would have initated when i moved. I never signed anything but they said they would of told me over the phone!! Surely that cant be right? There is no mention of anything like that on the T&C's
    Just another reason why i hate dealing with Eircom :mad::mad:

Advertisement