Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New TV - LCD or Plasma

• 18-02-2010 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi
    I am planning to buy a large screen TV - up to 50 inch. The viewing distance is up to 16 ft - is 50" too big?

However, my living room is quite bright during the day with lots of large windows in direct sunlight for the afternoon. I heard that Plasma isn't great for bright room due to the glass screen and lots of reflections, so supposedly LCD are better.
    Is this correct? Anyone any similar experiences?
    tks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

size wise you would want a plasma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

50 inch will not IME and IMO be too big. After a while it may even seem a bit small - if 16 feet away I'd even look at something bigger maybe a 58 inch plasma.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I am 9' away from a 50" plasma and it is not remotely too big, so I think you should consider even larger. You might like to look at Panasonics offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Paschcom

Thanks guys - that's helpful. Thought as much re size.
    Any thoughts on my brightness issue? Does it affect the picture quality much on a plasma?
    There's certainly better choice and price out there on the big plasma screens, so it would make life easier if I could avoid having to go for a LCD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Brightness not a major issue and a blind or two would solve same.

There is no denying that 50in plasmas atm offer exceptional value for money with full 1080p ones available for sub £700.00 up north.

I will next buy a 58 or even 60 but for similar spec expect to pay 2-3 times the price - kind of makes you think 3 x 50in or 1 x 60in - a lot extra for not a lot more in inches!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Hi guys,

OP asked Plasma or LCD and that question wasn't really answered - except for the issue of size :)

As someone who is clueless in this area, could you please explain the pros and cons of each, or direct somewhere that does?

I'm told that LCD is less tiring to watch too - most of us spend hours in front of computer LCDs, so that makes some sense.

Also told that plasma not as good from an angle.

Opinions?

Many thanks.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Isaacunt

Plasma`s are a dying breed, there only good if you want a big size, like 50" and up, mainly in shop fronts and so.

LCD at the moment is the biz, there fairly cheap and the life span is long.
    Go for a Samsung one and dont be shy, pay a little more than less, it`ll be worth it in the end. For the adverage sized room I think a 40" is good, try and get as high a contrast ratio as you can, there nearly all 100Hz, even if they say more, there`s only so much you Sky box and any other devices you use can go.
    They have so many picture setting for normal tv,dvd,digital,blu-ray that if you look online you`ll find the best for each, hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

Dinarius wrote: »
    I'm told that LCD is less tiring to watch too - most of us spend hours in front of computer LCDs, so that makes some sense.

Also told that plasma not as good from an angle.

im afraid you've got your facts mixed up there mate! plasma is easier to watch for longer periods and lcd is not as good from an angle.

whats Isaacunt says about plasma plasma being a dying breed is partially true. its a dying breed because only a few companies are still doing plasma, most are turning to lcd. but the fact is plasma is better. the best tv ever made - the Pioneer PDP-LX5090 - a plasma! panasonic are the most popular brand for plasma and are very good quality and good value for what you're getting. i watch tvs ll day long in work and plasmas far superior. lcds are great if you want them for mainly gaming, but the best for live action gear (tv, blu ray etc) is plasma by far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Isaacunt

Nuts...I can watch my LCD at any angle, even all the way from the side and still see it, no problem..:) Death to plasma:mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

@Dinarius,

There's an older thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055432706 comparing LCD and Plasma which might be useful.

Ritz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I just got a 47" LCD and I'm very happy. Didn't really like the plasmas at that size.

Advertisement