Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audio workstation build

Options
  • 18-02-2010 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I'm putting together my first PC build. I just want to check that I havent missed anything that I'll need to finish building it in one go, ie cables, thermal paste etc...
    I'm getting the components below from E-buyer, delivered for around 1275 euro.
    Is there wnything additional that I'll need?
    Thanks!

Samsung SM2243SW 22" LCD Monitor Widescreen Full HD 1920x1080 300cd/m2 15000:1 5ms VGA/DVI Height Adjustable3 Year Warranty - Black

Antec 900 Nine Hundred - Gaming Case with 200mm Top Fan - No PSU

Antec TruePower New 550W Modular PSU - 80plus Bronze and SLI Certified 3x SATA

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R iX58 Socket 1366 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz Socket 1366 D0 stepping 8MB Cache OEM Processor

Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Memory CL9(9-9-9-24) for i7 motherboards

Asus HD 4350 512MB DDR2 DVI VGA HDMI Out PCI-E Low Profile Graphics Card

OCZ 30GB 2.5" SATAII Solid II Series Solid State Drive

2X Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache - OEM

LG GH22LS50 22x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer & RAM Burner + LightScribe Black Bare Drive OEM

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-bit - English

2X Plexus Serial ATA 2.0 (SATA) 7-pin Cable (Red) 46cm / 18"

Belkin Anti-Static Wrist Band

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Looks fine to me,the i7's come with thermal paste pre-applied to the CPU cooler,although if your doing something which is particularly CPU intensive,I would look into an aftermarket CPU cooler.

The stock one will work fine,just ain't the best when the i7 is running at full throttle for a long period of time.

Other than that,solid build :)

Edit : I don't know what you do in audio production but I would recommend a 3rd party sound card that will support a lot of different standards and also improve the quality of your sound greatly.Asus' Xonar range has models for all budgets

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Jibbs

Thanks Deano.
    Any recomendations on a CPU cooler?
    I'll be using outboard sound cards so thats not an issue.
    Thanks.

Jibbs wrote: »
    Thanks Deano.
    Any recomendations on a CPU cooler?
    I'll be using outboard sound cards so thats not an issue.
    Thanks.

Depends on your budget.Xigmatek's Dark Knight preforms well,comes with its own fan and is cheap enough at €40

More expensive would be something like I have (Mine was nearly €100 for HS + fans).Other more expensive coolers include the Noctua D-14 (comes with 1x140mm and 1x120mm fans),Prolimatech MegaHalems (Comes with no fan)
    Corsair H50 (Sealed Water cooling unit) and the Thermalright Venomous-X (not sure if this is bundled with a fan or not)

All those coolers will cost about €70.I would personally go for the H50 as it will give the best performance at a low noise level,it also includes a 120mm fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

A cheap yet seemingly decent CPU cooler for those not interested in serious overclocking is the Coolermaster Hyper 212+.

A cheap yet seemingly decent CPU cooler for those not interested in serious overclocking is the Coolermaster Hyper 212+.

I completely forgot about that,solid cooler for sure :)

Image0003.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Jibbs

Thanks for the info lads.
    I'll probably go with the cooler master 212.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

maybe look at this psu much better http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135514

massy086 wrote: »
    maybe look at this psu much better http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135514

May have been true when compared against the previous generation of Antec PSU's but is no longer true. The new truepower range holds its own when you consider price to performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

david7536 wrote: »
    May have been true when compared against the previous generation of Antec PSU's but is no longer true. The new true power range holds its own when you consider price to performance.
    hmm maybe true now not up on antec because iv always went with corsair for quality and there warranty of 5 years also there,s a lot more connector,s on the corsair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

massy086 wrote: »
    hmm maybe true now not up on antec because iv always went with corsair for quality and there warranty of 5 years also there,s a lot more connector,s on the corsair

Seasonic pretty much make most of the new line of antec and most of the corsair psus.....
    Much of as muchness as regards quality.

Warranty and connectors are always nice though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement