Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintenance grants cut if you qualify for BTEA in budget 2009 !!!

Options
  • 18-02-2010 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Ok, i have been thinking about going back to college, i have been putting it off because i wanted to work, and really try before i tried another avenue. Cant get a job, as with many other people, i went to fas first, i can do any course i want but i have to wait months to do it, the waiting lists are full to capacity, so my only option is going back to college.i do want to do it but its a scary thought, and i have bills to pay still since i was employed, i need a constant income....

So i googled grants and found information on citizens information website:

Since budget 2009, students entering study in 2010, if student qualifies for btea they are disqualified from being eligible for a grant!!

What about registration? that is meant to almost double.
    How are adults meant to survive ? ( If someone says get a job i'll scream), btea is the dole, adults have rent bills and lots of other responsibilities....i can barely survive on what i have because my mother took me in and i dont have to pay rent.

The way i see it, they cut grants for us and yet added more college places :confused:

I hate the government, i hope they choke on champagne on their way to their exotic holidays...:mad:

:o Sorry, i am just very frustrated, about how i am meant to get out of this circle of defeat, and there are so many people in this situation with me. Trying to improve their lives and being stopped by how the government are running our country.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

The registration fee is still payed by your VEC, you just don't get any grant money on top of it. Not great, but doable if you're determined.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I hear ya.

I was told last week in my local welfare office that I was entitled to recieve btea when I go to do my masters in sep. I was in with them today and they have said that I am now not entitled to it as the only masters covered by the btea are those that will lead to a hDip and wish to end up teaching. Some what discriminatory eh!!

As i explained to the guy it the office it would make more sense to give me the btea to help me financially while studying for one yr as there will be less chance of me being on the dole in a few yrs time!! In the long run it will save them money. If i cant get it I will not be able to return to study and will more than likely be on the dole for a long time yet. And yes I have been applying for loads of jobs and getting nowhere!!

frAg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Frag, you should check out the maintenance grant instead of the BTEA instead then. The special mature rate is 6.5K, which is the same as the BTEA and if you've been unemployed for most of last year, you should easily qualify. I'm pretty sure it's available for Masters and as it's a grant it's less restrictive than the dole. Mind you, you'd probably lose the rent allowance, but maybe not, as you'd still have no income?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Is that 6.5k on top of the fees?? The fees for my masters are 6.5k for the year and so while having the fees paid would be good I would still not have anything to live of for the yr. I do intend to get a pt job but this can only take me so far and when it comes to the end of the yr and having a dissertation to write, final projects etc pt work would have to stop!!

frAg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 MrsMiaWallace

Im in the same boat except i have 2 children and have to move from County Wexford to Dublin (x3 higher rent) to do my course.
    Iv really no idea how i will make ends meet but i figure if i just move things will fall into place financially with child care ,bills ,rent etc.. if not im fecked! :eek:
    If i think about it too much i just wont go, so im hoping no department will see me struggle financially when i have 2 children..surely someone somewhere has worked this thing out for people like us they wouldnt give me a place at Uni knowing im on single parent only to see me getting in a mess financially :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

they wouldnt give me a place at Uni knowing im on single parent only to see me getting in a mess financially :confused:

normally during the interview process you are asked about just that: how you intend to fund yourself to sustain yourself while studying. Of course if you just presume that you will get grants/aids then how are they to know. its up to you to find out what you are and are not entitled to (you/us all that is!)

I refer to 'they' being the social welfare NOT the university (typo confusion), social welfare provide the back to education scheme for single parents and are obviously fully aware that parents have no job ,no funding for child care etc.. so i think as said before they can and will make it possible for me to survive should i get a place on the course :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I refer to 'they' being the social welfare NOT the university (typo confusion), social welfare provide the back to education scheme for single parents and are obviously fully aware that parents have no job ,no funding for child care etc.. so i think as said before they can and will make it possible for me to survive should i get a place on the course :rolleyes:

you would think so wouldnt you :rolleyes:
    have a look around someother threads to get a better idea of what they will or wont do, ill tell you this now they wont listen to your whinging about getting a place that you want that ticks all the boxes, being so close to uni, in the catchment area of a nice school, and...you know what I should know better than replying to someone with a posting history similar to yours with 25 posts and joined this month.

Lady you need to figure out the difference between NEED and WANT, theres a big difference and the SW will be concentrating on arrangements you need morso than want ;)

well maybe you might stop posting on nearly every thread i post on!!! I find all your responses to me very negative!
    I live by the motto..'always aim higher' and i almost always do and succeed where others fail..so if your trying to bring me down a peg you can do one because quite frankly I think you have something against single parents, wonder why..
    Infact dont bother telling me i dont want to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭EskimoJack

me@ucd wrote: »
    you would think so wouldnt you :rolleyes:
    have a look around someother threads to get a better idea of what they will or wont do, ill tell you this now they wont listen to your whinging about getting a place that you want that ticks all the boxes, being so close to uni, in the catchment area of a nice school, and...you know what I should know better than replying to someone with a posting history similar to yours with 25 posts and joined this month.

Lady you need to figure out the difference between NEED and WANT, theres a big difference and the SW will be concentrating on arrangements you need morso than want ;)

Good one you lady for getting your priorities right and trying to better yourself. As for the other gob s hite who calls himself @ ucd i find it incredible that such ignorance is alive and well in this country.

Take no notice and best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nextdoor

Can i ask another question. I'm qualifying for the btea this year 2009/2010 but im not getting the grant cos i can't prove my independent address (long story). i heard if you are getting both the btea and grant this year that you will get them until you finish your course. so my question is will i b able to get both next year, cos i hav plenty of independent residency proof. by the way im nearly 26 and they stil expect me 2live off my parents.

nextdoor wrote: »
    Can i ask another question. I'm qualifying for the btea this year 2009/2010 but im not getting the grant cos i can't prove my independent address (long story). i heard if you are getting both the btea and grant this year that you will get them until you finish your course. so my question is will i b able to get both next year, cos i hav plenty of independent residency proof. by the way im nearly 26 and they stil expect me 2live off my parents.

To my knowledge they are continuing the BTEA grant to those who qualified 2009/2010 academic year however no one will get any grants from BTEA from 2010/2011 academic year onwards. I suspect we will have to go somewhere else eg university hardship fund or apply for a grant if your course is accredited by an institution. So the independent address thing is irrelevant for the next academic year i'm afraid!
    Like myself i hope you find a solution, just keep on top of the budget news to see what alternatives the government are suggesting.

Advertisement