Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats your favourite walk in Greystones

Options
  • 18-02-2010 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭

My favourite walk in Greystone would be down by the Harbour and then along the beach, under the archers up the main st ( optional stop for hot chocolate in the happy pear )..or for a longer walk head towards killincarrig turn in to Burnaby heights walk through the golf course head down through the burnaby, then on to the beach and walk to the harbour

so what anyone else's favourite walk in Greystones

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

when you say through the golf course, is there actually a path for walkers there, and where does it come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I think what is meant is the public walkway between Burnaby Heights and the Whitshed road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Down the South Beach, past Kilcoole to the Breeches. Can't discount the Cliff Walk either. Amazing to realise how popular it was in the late 19th Century, Cable Car and all

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

All those walks are lovely. Coast walk to the harbour from the playground and council offices has become a game of dog**** hopscotsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Mine would be Kindlestown wood. I know it's more Delgany but it's lovely all the same. Glen of the downs is nice too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

For a bit of exercise, you could do well worse than a walk up the spine past Charlesland and eden gate all the way to the N11 and back. Farmland on both sides, good path and great sea views.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Is there any way through the fields from Charlesland to the seafront?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

my favourite walk is to the pub!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

The little sugar loaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

dr ro wrote: »
    when you say through the golf course, is there actually a path for walkers there, and where does it come out.
    yes there is - not sure what the name where it comes out though

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

Mullie wrote: »
    Is there any way through the fields from Charlesland to the seafront?
    There is but it's not a well worn path and it's very marshy. Be prepard to get your feet soaked if you do it. Brings you out right by the sewage treatment place. Better off going the long way round methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Mine would be Kindlestown wood. I know it's more Delgany but it's lovely all the same. Glen of the downs is nice too.

Never knew it existed - went up there this morning with the kids, it's a lovely walk.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 coolhandd

How do you get to Kindlestown wood?

As you pass the old Delgany Inn take the hill on the right instead of heading for N11. Travel for approx 5Km til you see entrance on righthand side. Lovely views of Sugarloaf from entrance to Kindlestown Wood. As you reach the eastern end of Kindlestown Wood there is a viewing point overlooking Greystones. We are spoiled for lovely places to go within a 10 Km radius really.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

Have these woods been cleaned up now? Used to be a major drugs and drinks den.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Have been up there plenty of times with the kids and no sign of it being drink and drugs den :rolleyes:

Thats good to hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

I like all the walks mentioned too - another nice one is from Kilcoole beach down by the bird sanctuary towards Wicklow Head, very nice scenery and you never know what you might spot in the sanctuary :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭dreamingoak

The Octagon! Its a lovely woodland walk near delgany. The walk through burnaby heights to the burnaby is called the Pigs' Hollow, it's an ancient right of way, i walked there as a child. Although it's pretty short, the walk there is really about walking through the burnaby.

• Advertisement

The Octagon! Its a lovely woodland walk near delgany. The walk through burnaby heights to the burnaby is called the Pigs' Hollow, it's an ancient right of way, i walked there as a child. Although it's pretty short, the walk there is really about walking through the burnaby.

4327386683_da3cb634e5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Have these woods been cleaned up now? Used to be a major drugs and drinks den.

Thats a bit harsh, a few cans lying around, but its close to a couple of big towns, its hardly den of inequity.

On Topic, there is a walk above the other side of the glen o the downs.
    (across the glen from the la touche house and the octagon)

You have to go through willow grove and take a left at the the house with the big wall.
    Then head up that road right at the farm and you should see the entrance on the left. Nice walk that.

Can't discount the Cliff Walk either. Amazing to realise how popular it was in the late 19th Century, Cable Car and all

Say what?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Say what?

At the Bray end there was a cable car that brought you part way up Bray head to a tea shop. Closed in the 60's

Another good variant is to walk half way to Bray on the cliff walk and then climb the face of Bray Head. The views of Greystones from there are stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clodagh84

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    At the Bray end there was a cable car that brought you part way up Bray head to a tea shop. Closed in the 60's

Another good variant is to walk half way to Bray on the cliff walk and then climb the face of Bray Head. The views of Greystones from there are stunning.

Yes, the chair-lift brought you up to "The Eagle`s Nest" coffee shop!

My favourite walk in Greystones is along the sea-front.

Fiachra2 wrote: »

Is that what the structures there are?

Never knew that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭I Drink It Up!

Cliff Walk.

Burnaby up through the golf club and into Kilincarrig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jim Ryan

Joliegood wrote: »
    There is but it's not a well worn path and it's very marshy. Be prepard to get your feet soaked if you do it. Brings you out right by the sewage treatment place. Better off going the long way round methinks.

There was a driveway to charlesland, the original farmhouse still there, from the Kilcoole road, the R762. This ran parallel to the new dual carriageway access road. But it also ran past the house at least as far as the new hotel / colf club... then there was a stream that when onto the shore...

It is many years since I was there... hard to think where lane is between the hotel and charlesland now... I think superquinn is in the way!!

As for the walk through the golf course.... it runs from the bottom of the hill on the way into Burnaby Hights between what was once separate golf 'links', behing Killincarrig Manor (greystones golf club) to the Burnaby, emerging at the top of Whitshed road, which will take you straight into the village.

there is now a heritage sign in delgany opposite the off licence which details walks around that village...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jim Ryan

Just remembered the short cut from Burnaby Heights to the Burnaby was called the Pigs Hollow...before burnaby heights of course... no slur on colonel hyde or major denbolton etc

QUOTE=Jim Ryan;64728741]There was a driveway to charlesland, the original farmhouse still there, from the Kilcoole road, the R762. This ran parallel to the new dual carriageway access road. But it also ran past the house at least as far as the new hotel / colf club... then there was a stream that when onto the shore...

It is many years since I was there... hard to think where lane is between the hotel and charlesland now... I think superquinn is in the way!!

As for the walk through the golf course.... it runs from the bottom of the hill on the way into Burnaby Hights between what was once separate golf 'links', behing Killincarrig Manor (greystones golf club) to the Burnaby, emerging at the top of Whitshed road, which will take you straight into the village.

there is now a heritage sign in delgany opposite the off licence which details walks around that village...[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Maisy wrote: »
    I like all the walks mentioned too - another nice one is from Kilcoole beach down by the bird sanctuary towards Wicklow Head, very nice scenery and you never know what you might spot in the sanctuary :)
    To walk this do you just follow the train tracks?

Advertisement