Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coughing after quitting smoking

Options
  • 18-02-2010 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is in right forum, apologies if its not.

am asking this on behalf of work collague as she is not member of this.

she has quit smoking and will be 1 month of them this coming Monday (22nd) she has read on some sites that after you quit smoking you develop a strong cough, lots of mucus ect - but she hasnt had this at all, not coughing at all and she is worried. she was on one forum and it said "coughing a lot is normal and would be more worrying if you didnt cough at all", so now this has freaked her out.
    anyone quit smoking and not cough afterwards? or know anything a bout it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm sure it varies from person to person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Maybe she's sleep-smoking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Is she hot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

6 years for me. Just went back on them cause I thought I may as well be damned if I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

thought this thread said 'coughlan after quitting smoking' - had me thinking that it might explain a thing or two.

I agree with url - it's going to vary person to person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The short simple version...

Depends on her average smoking ability before she gave up.
    On the inner lining of her lungs there are hairs (for want of a better medical description).
    These become enclosed/surrounded with the tar of the cigs constantly and the level of this increases with the more frequency of a smokers daily habit.

As one gives up smoking, eventually as the body tries to cleanse itself, the tar on these "hairs" breaks down and within days/weeks emerges from the body in a number of ways.
    One of these is orally. I wouldn't worry if she is not coughing too much otr at all.
    Only if she is noticing any adverse body effects should she be concerned - that said, if she has any worries at all, she should see a doctor or try any of the help areas/services/people for smokers wishing to give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

She's worried because there's nothing wrong with her...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Moved to Giving Up Smoking forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I certainly wouldn't say that I developed a horrible cough.
    I can't remember it being worse than any cough that I had while smoking.
    If she isn't developing a cough it could mean that she is healthier than others, or that she wasn't smoking 60 a day, like some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Tell her to stay away from forums. And if she's really worried about something tell her to go to her GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

WindSock wrote: »
    6 years for me. Just went back on them cause I thought I may as well be damned if I do.
    Thats a really sh1tty attitude.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Even being in the same room as my brother smoking meant that when I moved out it was like I was quitting smoking, coughed for ages like that.

Advertisement