Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart customer, thinking of changing to O2 broadband

• 18-02-2010 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I currently have Smart broadband (according to my bill its 5Mb/384kb (STD) ). It's costing me €34.30 (+ VAT) per month - with line rental being free.

I'm thinking of moving to O2 wireless, purely because my phone is O2, because from what I can tell I can get it for around €20 per month.

Is it worth the move? Would the O2 wireless stand up to the 5Mb/384kb service I'm getting at the moment?

I'm a regular internet user really - I download some songs here and there, but no huge regular downloads.

Advice would be appreciated! Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Is the the mobile one? If so, it won't be a patch on Smart. Can you downgrade your Smart package to save money?

Mobile isn't really broadband, you'll never get near the advertised speed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If its the so called O2 Broadband that you use using a USB dongle then this wouldn't be very good compared to what smart are providing you, I'd suggest downgrading your smart package to something cheaper instead

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭King Ian

Thanks for the advice! I had suspected as much about the mobile broadband.

Speaking of downgrading my Smart package - I just noticed that even if I was to downgrade to the slowest service available (3Mb) I would actually be paying MORE than what I'm paying now (€42 ex VAT, compared to €32 now)

Smart Home Broadband

That seems faintly ridiculous? Maybe it's me that's screwing them, and not the other way around?

Does anyone know of any other providers who's service is as good at a 5Mb level, but who might be operating at a reduced cost to myself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Did you sign up when there was free line rental? That could be why.

I'd stick on that or maybe UPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I wouldnt budge, I'm paying more than you for the exact same service on smart, its a great reliable service. maybe ring and try a haggle with them, might get an upgrade on speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

King Ian wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice! I had suspected as much about the mobile broadband.

Speaking of downgrading my Smart package - I just noticed that even if I was to downgrade to the slowest service available (3Mb) I would actually be paying MORE than what I'm paying now (€42 ex VAT, compared to €32 now)

Smart Home Broadband

That seems faintly ridiculous? Maybe it's me that's screwing them, and not the other way around?

Does anyone know of any other providers who's service is as good at a 5Mb level, but who might be operating at a reduced cost to myself?

Youy are looking at the wrong page on Smart's site -that page is for what they call "off Net" which is the resold Eircom packages

If you currently have 5Mb then you must be an "on net" customer ie on the LLU package, in which case you should refer to http://www.smarttelecom.ie/home_broadband.aspx

In which case you could downgarde to the 2MB package at €8.50 pm plus line rental

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭King Ian

Yes I have to say, the Smart service is excellent.

In 3 years, I can only recall having one outage. Compare that to my friends who have Eircom and have probems on a fortnightly basis

Maybe I should quit complaining!

Advertisement