Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childminder wants to do it by the book !

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

To me child minding is different to other industries. .

Sure I guess so is a work man on a building site or somebody working in a shop, if your employing somebody you should do it by the book.

If you don't do it by the book and they later report you then you deserve it tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Is your wife working part-time? If so, is there anybody else near you that works opposite days to her that could reciprocate childminding? A colleague at work does this and her childcare fees are zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭RacingSilver

Cabaal wrote: »
    Sure I guess so is a work man on a building site or somebody working in a shop, if your employing somebody you should do it by the book.

If you don't do it by the book and they later report you then you deserve it tbh

And, also to be honest, you are focussing on the strict legalites of it, and not taking into account how society currently works, and what is best for the family. I could go on and on, but suffice to say that because something is 'illegal' doesn't make it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭RacingSilver

If you like this girl etc is there any chance you could come to some kind of agreement with her where you pay tax and PRSI over for a portion of the income, so that she gets PRSI stamps etc without it being prohibitively expensive for you?

Thanks for that. That thought had crossed my mind, I need to speak to her about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭neeb

To me child minding is different to other industries. If we have to pay tax and prsi, then it is just not worth it, and my wife would give up her job to stay at home, with the resultant loss to the Revenue of the tax my wife is paying. So, who wins in that case ?
    There are loads of people who employ a childminder and pay cash. It seems to be quite acceptable in this country. These stories of 'I heard of a childminder who ratted on the parents, whcih resulted in taxes and penalties, etc' seem to be a bit over the top to be honest.

Its illegal. If you can't afford it then you have to look at other options. You also have to pay the minimum wage. Its that simple.

• Advertisement
Advertisement