Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottle bank in Athenry?

Options
  • 18-02-2010 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I moved here last August and I spotted a clothes bank near the train station but no bottle bank. I have a full box of jars/bottles that I don't really want to take on a trip all the way to Galway so I'd appreciate if someone could let me know where I can find a bottle bank in Athenry.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭DD67

You won`t find one it was removed last year as some of the good people of Athenry just could not stop dumping there rubbish there, use the one beside the ruby pitch in Monivea, at least the people down there take some civic pride in there bottle bank it always well maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

I use the one in cregmore, beside the school.
    there is also one in claregalway and in oranmore in supervalu, but that one is always full.
    and for some reason i think there is one in craughwell too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sophielc

I guess it will have to be Oranmore as I don't get to go to any of the other places; I really think there should be one in Athenry, maybe wth a CCTV close by to discourage illegal dumping.
    There is plenty of room in the Joyce's shopping centre, if anyone from Athenry is looking at this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭DD67

sophielc wrote: »
    I guess it will have to be Oranmore as I don't get to go to any of the other places; I really think there should be one in Athenry, maybe wth a CCTV close by to discourage illegal dumping.
    There is plenty of room in the Joyce's shopping centre, if anyone from Athenry is looking at this.

As i said in my pervious post there was a bottle bank it was located beside the clothes bank and it is covered by CCTV more than one actually, but people continued to dump there rubbish there and the place was an eye sore and i dont blame the council for taking it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,244 ✭✭✭✭km79

yeah its mad isnt it i usually end up going into galway! joyces would be ideal but dont think it will happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

DD67 wrote: »
    As i said in my pervious post there was a bottle bank it was located beside the clothes bank and it is covered by CCTV more than one actually, but people continued to dump there rubbish there and the place was an eye sore and i dont blame the council for taking it away.

I think the real problem was that, like most of the busy areas, the bottle banks are never emptied on time. People load up the bottles, into the car, down the bottle bank and....#@## it's full again! So the people with a little less respect for the area just leave it there rather than bring it back home or, like me, drive around with in the car for a week!
    Dougiska bottle bank was always a dump too, but that one is still there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

It's the cardboard boxes that people leave behind that I don't understand.

Pity the 'charity' clothing collections don't do a line in cardboard.

We have 'er tidied up in no time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PaulDolan

Sorry to Hijack this post but i'm moving to Athenry very soon and am looking for the best/cheapest Refuse collection provider.

I live in Athlone at the moment and have 2 Large wheelie bins (one black, one green)
    When i want them collected I leave them outside and attach a pre bought tag to them €10 for black bin €6 for recycle bin.it works out very cheap.
    Bags don't really suit as I have some dogs

I'm looking for a similar type service.
    Any Ideas.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

WERS Waste do a similar tagged bin service. It has cost me feck all in the three months I am living here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

+ 1 for wers, you want the electronic bin tag which you can top online or at a payzone with a swipe card they give you.
    You only pay a lift charge when you leave the bin out so if you dont put it out that often then it works out relatively cheap.

There is a bottle bank at the new Supervalu / ALDI centre in loughrea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 JDcycle

Hi guys,

I just moved in to Athenry, do you have any recommendations for refuse collection companies?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

There was talk about the bottle banks coming back and being situated in the new car park by the 'stadium' at swan gate

Advertisement