Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 Road Manners!!! (Galway City)

Options
  • 18-02-2010 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Is it just me or do some people have zero manners when using the motorway in and out og Galway City?? Example being 2 cars in the left lane travelling under 120kmph.. I checked my mirrors, indicated, checked my mirrors again and moved out.. of course the hero in the second car decides to pull straight out in front of me.. On the flip side we have people who appear from no where going 5000kmph and really drive up yer arse.. that really disgusts me!!!.. How come these people never seem to be caught by the relevant authorities??? :mad:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

How come these people never seem to be caught by the relevant authorities??? :mad:

Because people like you do not bother lifting the phone to make them aware

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

snubbleste wrote: »

Have tried that, ringing traffic watch, and nothing has ever come of it.

People will drive like idiots, because they know and they do, get away with it.

Ignorance is f*ckin' bliss!!

If there was a visible traffic corps presence on the roads, people's attitude would change.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Michael Angelo.

:D

Ok, firstly I didnt say whether I do or dont report these incidents, so lets deal with facts and not assumptions.

Secondly I am certain, however cant be sure that bad road behaviour exists when I am not on the M6 to be in a position to report it. So to eleviate some of this personal responsibility on ordinary folk we have relevant authorities to detect these type of incidents.

Thank you for your eye opening post Snubbleste. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭stellarartois

Way to go tough guy! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

I actually don't find the stretch between ballinasloe and Galway as bad as other stretches of the M6/M4 where eitquite is really bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

People will do all kind of crazy things for all kinds of stupid reasons.
    The trick is to expect the unexpected.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Since the motorway was completed, I've found that the discipline this side of the Shannon to be pretty good. The problem comes when you get the jackeens-in-exile merging at Maynooth and Kilcock...

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

:D

Ok, firstly I didnt say whether I do or dont report these incidents, so lets deal with facts and not assumptions.

Secondly I am certain, however cant be sure that bad road behaviour exists when I am not on the M6 to be in a position to report it. So to eleviate some of this personal responsibility on ordinary folk we have relevant authorities to detect these type of incidents.

Thank you for your eye opening post Snubbleste. :rolleyes:

So, what you are saying is that you don't report bad or dangerous driving? There is certainly no ambiguity in that response!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

On the flip side we have people who appear from no where going 5000kmph and really drive up yer arse..
    ....Id reports that speed and driving anyway!!!......But i agree with ya 100%...Can happen alot on the motorway but just better to be on 120kmh on the left lane and if the pass you flying...flash your lights!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

dec25532 wrote: »
    So, what you are saying is that you don't report bad or dangerous driving? There is certainly no ambiguity in that response!!!!

How did you come to that conclusion from his response:confused: You could be writing for the Sun with assumptions like that!!!

Back on topic anyways, haven't found it to bad around Galway yet. i do find coming into Limerick very bad though. When your about 10-15 miles from the city people think you can then drive in the right hand lane at 50mph.

Heading to Dublin at noon so might be changing my above statement this evening but hopefully not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tony Almeida

what sad case would report something like "bad etiquette" to the guards?

Its a bit hall monitory.. pathetic imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

compared to the muppetry that used to happen on the old N6, I don't find the motorway that bad...

some people are just idiots though, wherever they drive...

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

On the flip side we have people who appear from no where going 5000kmph and really drive up yer arse.. that really disgusts me!!!..

Do you happen to be in the overtaking lane when this happens?
    If so move left and allow them to pass. Its none of your business what speed they are doing unless you are a member of the traffic corps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

kodute wrote: »
    If so move left and allow them to pass. Its none of your business what speed they are doing unless you are a member of the traffic corps.

It is your business if they are driving in an unsafe manner and are putting yourself and other road users at risk

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

As long as you are travelling faster than the vehicle you are passing in the left-hand lane, you are using the overtaking lane properly, i.e. for overtaking. Anyone who is coming up behind you should wait at a safe distance behind you until you have overtaken and had a chance to move safely back to the left-hand lane so that they can then overtake you. There is no excuse for aggressive driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Motorway would be a lot safer and more pleasurable to drive on if people stuck to one rule. If you are not overtaking, stay in the left lane. Unfortunetly people will speed nomatter what we say or do and by staying left you are putting yourself in the safest position. Once you have overtakin pull back in to left lane. There is no excuse for people driving aggressively and tailgating you while you are overtaking. These people are D**kh*ads plain and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Its none of your business what speed they are doing unless you are a member of the traffic corps.

I think you will find it is everyone's business what speed others are doing on the road.

We all share the road, and if someone crashed into you / killed your wife or child solely because of the speed they were doing, I think it would very much become your business.

That's a very Irish thing to say "it's none of your business". A lot of people fobbed off claims sexual abuse by priests under the pretence "it's not our business".

If people are doing wrong, it's everyone's business.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I use the last bit of it getting to work. I saw one fella who was driving in the left lane pull into the hard shoulder to let a tractor pass him,have seen numerous people driving constantly in the overtaking lane at about 80kph,some young fella on a moped going flat out bout 30kph, and of course the ones bombing it down the road flashing and beeping at anything that might slow them down for a millisecond.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    I think you will find it is everyone's business what speed others are doing on the road.

We all share the road, and if someone crashed into you / killed your wife or child solely because of the speed they were doing, I think it would very much become your business.

That's a very Irish thing to say "it's none of your business". A lot of people fobbed off claims sexual abuse by priests under the pretence "it's not our business".

If people are doing wrong, it's everyone's business.
    I take it you passive-agressively stood in front of priests crotches then in order to prevent them molesting children? Or slipped bromide into the altar wine?

See, we can all cheapen the terror and abuse that went on under the clergy in order to score cheap internet debating points...

Keep left unless overtaking, don't try to be the vigilante Traffic Corps and if you see dangerous driving, ring Traffic Watch. That is all a reasonable person can do without getting so wound up that they have an aneurysm.

Speeding =/= Dangerous driving

What the OP describes is dangerous driving (tailgating at speed) which as I pointed out could be avoided if he drove in the driving lane.

The tailgaters speed (5000kmph :rolleyes: ) had nothing to do with it.

Back to comparing bad driving to the systematic abuse and destruction of young childrens lives though...

• Advertisement

Robbo wrote: »
    I take it you passive-agressively stood in front of priests crotches then in order to prevent them molesting children? Or slipped bromide into the altar wine?

See, we can all cheapen the terror and abuse that went on under the clergy in order to score cheap internet debating points...

Keep left unless overtaking, don't try to be the vigilante Traffic Corps and if you see dangerous driving, ring Traffic Watch. That is all a reasonable person can do without getting so wound up that they have an aneurysm.

Where in the thread has anyone alluded to being a vigilante Traffic Corps? And where in the thread did the OP say he was in the overtaking lane when being tailgated for that matter?

I'm not trying to cheapen anything, I'm just pointing out the dangers of a "it's not your business" culture.

Roads are a shared public facility, therefore it is everyone's business what everyone else is doing.

Driving very fast doesn't explicitly imply danger but it shortens reaction times, increases stopping distances, increases the magnitude of damage if an accident does occur, and overall increases the probability of accidents.

...I checked my mirrors, indicated, checked my mirrors again and moved out.. of course the hero in the second car decides to pull straight out in front of me.. On the flip side we have people who appear from no where going 5000kmph and really drive up yer arse...

Seems to me like that all happened when he was in the overtaking lane. The OP can clarify of course...
    Where in the thread has anyone alluded to being a vigilante Traffic Corps? And where in the thread did the OP say he was in the overtaking lane when being tailgated for that matter?

I'm not trying to cheapen anything, I'm just pointing out the dangers of a "it's not your business" culture.

Roads are a shared public facility, therefore it is everyone's business what everyone else is doing.

Driving very fast doesn't explicitly imply danger but it shortens reaction times, increases stopping distances, increases the magnitude of damage if an accident does occur, and overall increases the probability of accidents.

'It's not your business' is not a culture. Common sense applies.
    Car weaving, suspected drunk driver etc; ring TC.
    Car going greater than 120kmph on a motorway engineered for speed; MYOB.
    Car tailgating you; get out of the way of the pr!ck.

'It's not your business' is not a culture. Common sense applies.
    Car weaving, suspected drunk driver etc; ring TC.
    Car going greater than 120kmph on a motorway engineered for speed; MYOB.
    Car tailgating you; get out of the way of the pr!ck.

Oh wow you're such a tough man. Do you drive around with a big hard-on with the delusion that you are a superior being on the road, and all must bow before you?

Car going greater than 120kmph, continuously, on motorway = breaking the law, not matter hoe you want to portray it. Tailgating is also an offence.

Oh wow you're such a tough man. Do you drive around with a big hard-on with the delusion that you are a superior being on the road, and all must bow before you?

Car going greater than 120kmph, continuously, on motorway = breaking the law, not matter hoe you want to portray it. Tailgating is also an offence.

Thats hilarious!! :D:D Thank you sir!! You genuinely made me laugh! :D

Ok so lock up the speeders with the paedo priests is it? Don't forget to have a Guard at every corner measuring distances between bumpers, its safer than getting out of the way.

I tip my hat to you and bid you adieu! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

galah wrote: »
    some people are just idiots though, wherever they drive...
    This is the bottom line when it comes to motoring to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

in many cases bad motorway etiquette comes from a lack of education with regard to driving on motorways. how to drive on motorways and motorway etiquette is an issue that should either be included in the theory test so new drivers learn how they should drive on motorways when qualified or when a person passes their test they should be required to pass a further test on how to drive on motorways. this is a particular problem on the m50 where there is 3 lanes, nobody seems to use the left hand lane, people seem intent on sitting in the first overtaking lane content to plod along at 50mph regardless of who is behind them. i have no problem with drivers who want to drive at this speed, just do so in the appropriate lane and try not to hold up other road users!!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tony Almeida

I actually agree with him.

Such a petty little argument oooh he's speeding. I suppose you ring the council if someone has overstayed on their parking ticket by 1 minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

Was on the motorway coming from Athenry, towards Oranmore. A woman decided to do a U turn on the Athenry bound side, then proceeded to drive up the overtaking lane, of that side of the road, against the traffic.

But she put her hazards on, so I suppose that makes it okay.

Women like that are why chicks have a bad name as drivers :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Cleeo wrote: »
    Women like that are why chicks have a bad name as drivers :mad:

She might even have been driving the tractor that was spotted near Athenry a few weeks back.

The rule on a motorway is simple.

1. Look regularly in the mirror for incoming from behind.
    2. Get right out of the feckin way by staying left.
    3. Then get on with your journey.

That speeding car behind you could be a Kidney on its way to a childs transplant in Dublin. Who are you to decide why someone is in a hurry.

You are free to report the car for speeding any time thereafter as long as you are not too blind to read the number plate like so many Galway gobdaws :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You are free to report the car for speeding any time thereafter as long as you are not too blind to read the number plate like so many Galway gobdaws :p

You gave them that number plate reading test did you. :-)

Advertisement