Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 Road Manners!!! (Galway City)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    That speeding car behind you could be a Kidney on its way to a childs transplant in Dublin. Who are you to decide why someone is in a hurry.

And a liver for someone else, and lungs for two people, and a heart for someone... provided it's all in good nick after they crash.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Xiney wrote: »
    And a liver for someone else, and lungs for two people, and a heart for someone... provided it's all in good nick after they crash.

Entirely their problem, yours is learning to stay out of other drivers way if they are going faster than you whether inside or outside the limit.

I see none of you were ever trained in Autobahn driving , links stehen rechts gehen to paraphrase the golden rule :D

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Entirely their problem, yours is learning to stay out of other drivers way if they are going faster than you whether inside or outside the limit.

This doesn't alter the fact that all too frequently some assh*le will roar up behind you in the overtaking lane while you are overtaking. In which case, you are perfectly right to complete your manoeuvre safely before moving back to the left-hand lane, and he is quite wrong to try to bully or intimidate you by aggressively driving up close behind you. I would imagine that the German autobahns have three lanes, which would make it less of an issue. In any case, there is no excuse for aggressive driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I dunno.

Someone going faster than they can handle, losing control (maybe the surface is slick?) and crashing into the barrier, thus flipping over through lanes of traffic...

I could see how that MIGHT be my problem. Especially if he happens to land on me.

Not much you can do to stay out of their way in the case I've described.

padraig71 wrote: »
    In any case, there is no excuse for aggressive driving.

There is no excuse for tailgating and there is no excuse for closing in on somebody who is clearly overtaking and does not have somewhere to pull into.

Then again there is nothing wrong with indicating left when you see them coming up behind ....to show you saw them and intend to pull in once you complete your overtaking manoever in your own time.

If they continue to close thereafter I find that a dab with the left foot on the brake pedal....while keeping the right where it was on the accelerator focuses their little minds for them and especially Volvo drivers for some reason :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Motorways are by far the safest roads to drive on with very few accidents. You never have a news piece about 2 people dieing in a car crash on the motorway (unless it is very foggy/icy etc. but thats a different issue, I assume we are on about reasonable driving conditions).

If you google the amount of accidents on motorways it is tiny. The roads are built for speed and there is no oncoming traffic.
    padraig71 wrote: »
    This doesn't alter the fact that all too frequently some assh*le will roar up behind you in the overtaking lane while you are overtaking. In which case, you are perfectly right to complete your manoeuvre safely before moving back to the left-hand lane, and he is quite wrong to try to bully or intimidate you by aggressively driving up close behind you.

Agreed. There is nothing more annoying than seeing that happen. There is no excuse for it, everybody is entitled to overtake slower moving traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

The motorway is a heck of a lot safer than any of the roundabouts in Galway, considering the amount of morons who cannot grasp the basics of using the correct lane and indicators.:mad::mad::mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

There are countless threads on here relating to irish drivers and I often wonder why are people surprised.
    Drivers here do the minimal amount of driver training necessary before being allowed out on the roads, many will have already picked up countless bad habits because they were told by 'ma and da' that that was the correct thing to do even though ma and da were more than likely never taught correctly either and passed their test back in the 50's.

The Irish are a nation of bad drivers, plain and simple.

The best we can hope for as has been alluded to is that someday the government finally take responsibility for the number of annual road deaths and serious injuries causedd by motor crashes and ensure there is a full time garda presence on at least the main road networks around the country which would immediately ensure people at least became a bit more civil and sensible when they get into their cars.
    Until then everyone should try and drive as safely and courteously as possible, it's easy to fall into the bad habits of others and play 'follow the leader' because you see some other muppet deems it perfectly okay to stay in the overtaking lane whilst talking on his mobile phone and going 150kph or driving up your arse before making a dangerous manouevre, I've never made a complaint to the traffic corps as I have my doubts after being told first hand from the horses mouth that unless extremely serious that you are most likely wasting your time but that's just my opinion, has anyone on here actually made a complaint about a fellow motorist and seen it followed up to the point where the driver was cautioned or taken off the road etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

As far as I know all calls get logged on Pulse whether serious or not. I have heard of people getting visits after a serious report or if they have received a few reports for different issues.

The botttom line is the number is there to use and the guards want us to use it and do act on your input. Take no heed of idiotic posts like below, this poster is probably one of these drivers who may fall foul of getting reported
    Such a petty little argument oooh he's speeding. I suppose you ring the council if someone has overstayed on their parking ticket by 1 minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

If they continue to close thereafter I find that a dab with the left foot on the brake pedal....while keeping the right where it was on the accelerator focuses their little minds for them and especially Volvo drivers for some reason :D

...and you come on here preaching about how good a driver you are? Please nobody take the statement above as a legitimate means of getting rid of a tailgater, it's a way of deliberately causing an accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gugsy

You get them everywhere its the same across the water and in europe. The Gaurds and police alike cant be everywhere. Those people will get caught eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭geem

Ah wondered why there was so much speeding and tailgating etc on Galway's roads... Galwegians must be among Ireland's most generous organ donators.
    Maybe there should be a law introduced - Galway organs only go to Galway recipients, that would calm the roads down.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

I love the passive-aggressive tone in this thread.

What gets to more than anything else are people doing anything from 40-60-90 on 100 roads or blocking the passing lane on the motorway. Tailgaiting is pain as well but not as much, I actually use the brake light technique as well, it is what you should do unless you cannot get out of the way. The brake light is a universally understood sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gugsy

I do it too and it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Michael Angelo.

kodute wrote: »
    Do you happen to be in the overtaking lane when this happens?
    If so move left and allow them to pass. Its none of your business what speed they are doing unless you are a member of the traffic corps.

No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

swe_fi wrote: »
    I love the passive-aggressive tone in this thread.

What gets to more than anything else are people doing anything from 40-60-90 on 100 roads or blocking the passing lane on the motorway. Tailgaiting is pain as well but not as much, I actually use the brake light technique as well, it is what you should do unless you cannot get out of the way. The brake light is a universally understood sign.

Tailgating is far more of a pain and far more dangerous. The person is deliberatly putting pressure on the car in front possibly causing that person to make an irrational decision, there is no time for either party particularly the tailgater to react to an unforseen incident. There is never any justification to tailgate.

I find that indicating well in advance (300-400m) of overtaking is wise on a motorway, if you do see someone coming up from behind at speed you can always indicate IN to SHOW you saw them and let them through. Indicating at the last minute is very stupid driving on a motorway.

Then once you are legitimately in the fast lane , overtaking , people behind can feck off until you complete the manoever.

If they think that tailgating will get them anywhere they are very much mistaken :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

There is no excuse for tailgating and there is no excuse for closing in on somebody who is clearly overtaking and does not have somewhere to pull into.

Then again there is nothing wrong with indicating left when you see them coming up behind ....to show you saw them and intend to pull in once you complete your overtaking manoever in your own time.

Also very stupid driving. Just as bad as the gobshite behind ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Robbo wrote: »
    The problem comes when you get the jackeens-in-exile merging at Maynooth and Kilcock...
    Try calling someone that to their face instead of from the comfort of your home over the
    Internet. Have you any concept of how insulting that word is to a dubliner? Do you understand what it means?

Sorry for threadjacking. Yeah, drivers can be dicks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

dafunk wrote: »
    Try calling someone that to their face instead of from the comfort of your home over the
    Internet. Have you any concept of how insulting that word is to a dubliner? Do you understand what it means?

Same as calling people boggers or culchie or from outside the pale. Build a bridge, so is life

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

dafunk wrote: »

I'm quite the internet tough guy. I can't imagine how offensive it must be to be marooned in Kilcock or a similar provincial bolthole.

Advertisement