Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a central vacuum system?

• 18-02-2010 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hey,

Four months into a build and I have to decide now on a central vacuum system which I wish to put into the house. Trouble is there are so many different makes and models that I haven't a clue which to go for! The house is a 2500ft.² dormer bungalow located in Dublin and I need as little maintenance as possible with a system. Can anyone recommend a good brand, model and company to go with? pm me if it's seen as advertising!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Beam came fitted in our house, its very good, no idea what price they are fitted...

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭clusk007

I got a decent quote from vacuflo today. Anyone have any opinion on these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

Hi
    I have a cyclovac put in 3+ years ago, it has been great only empty it every 6mts, it came with 5 years warrenty but I think they have increased this now to 7.

Cc

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭clusk007

that's great to hear, thanks. was 50-50 on whether to get one of these but everyone I have spoken to says they would not build a house now without one! any recommendations would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

Was considering these too but do ye not think that the hose on these central vac's is as nearly as long and heavy as a standard vacuum cleaner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭youtheman

I've no experience of a central vacuum myself, just an observation.

A few weeks ago I went to lock the front door on my way to bed for the night. I head a loud noise from outside, and when I opened the door I heard what I can only describe as a 'jet engine'. I said to myself 'what bloody contractor is working at this time of night'. I walked up and down the estate looking for the offending party, but couldn't identify the equipment. I followed the howl, and then it dawned on me, it's my neighbour and his new 'fancy' central vacuum system (located externally is a specially fabricated brick built room). To be fair to him/her, they don't use it that often. But when they do, it's 'ear defenders on' for anyone with 1/2 mile radius. I'm not sure what the noise limit is supposed to be, but I reckon this one is way over the limit.

So my advice is to pay particular attention to the noise during the procurement and installation phase of the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gorwanvfr

Here's my two cents. You will still end up having a normal vacuum cleaner. What about when you want to hover the car etc? Or somewhere the hose from the central vac will not reach? A central vac sounds great but to me just as much hassle as a normal vacuum. Just purchased a new upright vacum cleaner won't mention the name (lets just say an English bloke invented it ;) ) Best money ever spent on a vacuum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

gorwanvfr wrote: »
    Here's my two cents. You will still end up having a normal vacuum cleaner. What about when you want to hover the car etc? Or somewhere the hose from the central vac will not reach? A central vac sounds great but to me just as much hassle as a normal vacuum. Just purchased a new upright vacum cleaner won't mention the name (lets just say an English bloke invented it ;) ) Best money ever spent on a vacuum.

you may still buy a regular vacuum but not for any of the above reasons,
    a well placed outlet at the back door services the car, the unit also has an outlet on it, and place your outlets within the reach of the 8mts hose (i think you can now get a 10mt version) mine is a beam and cost 1000 euros diy kit to include 6 outlets and one for the kickspace, it was the second biggest in motor strength, highly recommended and hassle free.
    just my 2 cents..............

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gorwanvfr

Every one to their own but €1000 for a kit thats me out of the game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

youtheman wrote: »
    I've no experience of a central vacuum myself, just an observation.

A few weeks ago I went to lock the front door on my way to bed for the night. I head a loud noise from outside, and when I opened the door I heard what I can only describe as a 'jet engine'. I said to myself 'what bloody contractor is working at this time of night'. I walked up and down the estate looking for the offending party, but couldn't identify the equipment. I followed the howl, and then it dawned on me, it's my neighbour and his new 'fancy' central vacuum system (located externally is a specially fabricated brick built room). To be fair to him/her, they don't use it that often. But when they do, it's 'ear defenders on' for anyone with 1/2 mile radius. I'm not sure what the noise limit is supposed to be, but I reckon this one is way over the limit.

So my advice is to pay particular attention to the noise during the procurement and installation phase of the project.

Hi Youtheman
    The exhaust is missing from your neighbours central vacuum, some contractors cannot be bothered to fit the exhaust when it is fitted in the garage or shed.
    I have 1 fitten in the house and there is very little noise out of this system and they are great if you have to hoover the stairs.

Cc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

Have just moved into new build gaff.
    Was very suspect about the central vac idea initially. Must say that it's one of the best things we have now. The hose is not that heavy and the suction is unbelievable. Got 2 hoses - one for each floor. Had one of the 'english inventor' brands in a previous house and there is no comparison.
    Our vac is in the garage. There is absolutely no need for another vacuum - the system/outlets were designed so that it reaches every bit of the house. Outlet in garage for car etc.
    We have a Husky. Cost was €1950. Got quotes of 6/7 suppliers and was cheapest by a long way. Guy who installed it was probably the best/nicest/soundest subbie who worked on the house. He had to come 4/5 times during the build and all it took was one phone call every time and he turned up the next day. PM for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 newbie4

JuniorB wrote: »
    Have just moved into new build gaff.
    Was very suspect about the central vac idea initially. Must say that it's one of the best things we have now. The hose is not that heavy and the suction is unbelievable. Got 2 hoses - one for each floor. Had one of the 'english inventor' brands in a previous house and there is no comparison.
    Our vac is in the garage. There is absolutely no need for another vacuum - the system/outlets were designed so that it reaches every bit of the house. Outlet in garage for car etc.
    We have a Husky. Cost was €1950. Got quotes of 6/7 suppliers and was cheapest by a long way. Guy who installed it was probably the best/nicest/soundest subbie who worked on the house. He had to come 4/5 times during the build and all it took was one phone call every time and he turned up the next day. PM for details.

can you pm me the details of the vac supplier am in the proces of installing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MajorMac

Hey JuniorB could you also PM me those details

Advertisement