Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What if I just walk out of the job?

Options
  • 18-02-2010 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

What could they do to me if I just collected up my personal things, handed in my keys and said I won't be coming back?

In the job just under 10 year, continuous employment. In defined contribution pension plan for 6+ years. Not a huge lot in it, but still it's something.

Other than the obvious down sides like starvation, homelessness, inability to get another job after such an irresponsible departure, etc, what can they do to me?

Can they take away their contribution to my pension plan? I'm getting along in years, so 65 isnt that far away, but not that close either.

Please skip the parts about how lucky I am to have a job in the "current climate" --it would create an opening for one of ye jobseekers (I pity you if you get the job though). I just want to know can they DO anything to me legally for not giving notice and can they take away what's in my pension or some other major thing I'm not thinking of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm not sure but I believe that if you voluntarily leave employment, you won't be eligible to claim the dole for a period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I agree, dudara. If we ARE "entitled" to dole after voluntarily, without notice, etc walking out of a job, that is ridiculous (i realise i hold a minority view on that).

My question is if anyone has any experience or hearsay knowledge of what the company itself could "do" to me: sue me? withhold my P45 ? Take back employer's contributions to my pension? etc.

I looked at the "Thinking of Resigning? here's how......." thread and the link there. Good info.

I'm half daydreaming, half serious. Seriously demoralised in a soul crushing atmosphere. They (think they) have us by the liathróidí.

Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

You will also have a 10 year hole in your CV to fill as there won't be a chance of reference if you don't serve your notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

They can sue you for any costs that they incur as a result of you walking out of the job, its unusual but not unheard of. if for example they had to pay overtime as as result then they could persue you for those costs.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

They Cant withhold your P45, However they can take their time dispatching it.

I'm pretty sure you cant claim dole for 6 weeks after you quit.

You could be sued for breach of contract, if your contract states how much notice.

No matter how bad the job is, In this climate, i'd hand in my notice and keep my head down. say its personal reasons, you'll get a referance at least. they may not want to lose you and make you a better offer. But a 10 year gap in your cv would be a very hard to fill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks very much for all perspectives, heads up etc. As all my previous employment has been just normal, no issues, no problems, nothing out of the ordinary, no bad reviews, no disciplinary stuff, just nothing but glowing reviews, great references, got along great with everyone, etc. I just never have encountered any of this sort of thing that I am now experiencing/observing, so it's uncharted waters for me. A bit of a shock to the system.

Actually, from what I've read, Agent Smith, it's at least a 9-week delay to claim JSA -though i still don't think it's right that ppl who just quit a job should be entitled at all. But then my reasons for daydreaming in extremes might justify it... but not going down that road.

Thanks, all.
    Joe

Advertisement