Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goodbye Willie (O'Dea resigns as Minister)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Jackie Healy Ray for MoD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

tech77 wrote: »
    Michael Martin looks under pressure on Prime Time.

That's because he's trying to spout waffle and Richard whathisname is having none of it.

O'Dea took the decision to resign, eh ?

So basically FF made no demands for ethics ?

Why am I not surprised ?

"The real issues".......does this twit not realise that ETHICS and HONESTY are PRECISELY "the real issues" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Michael Martin looks under pressure on Prime Time.

Yes, really close to breaking point. And did I hear him correctly near the beginning of the interview? Did he ask the presenter if he was taking the piss??!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Any chance that this may lead to the government collapsing? Personally, I don't see how a viable Gov. can continue after its Minister of Defence is forced to resign in disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

johngalway wrote: »
    Far from a non story, it's had pressure on FF for the past two days to the point one of their best known minister has had to resign.

Now the questions point to the Greens, why oh why did they do a dumb thing like vote yesterday instead of going AWOL....

It's all good for people who want to see an election. He may well be back at some time in the future, right now I want them all out. Gotta start somewhere and Willie O'Dea is as good a place as any.

Sorry.
    Let me be clear, it's a non-story in terms of FF losing their majority.
    That's what i meant when I referred to this as a non-story.

Yes, it is a serious story when a TD, a minister no less, lies in an affidavit
    to the court.
    O'Dea is a barrister and as an officer of the court he should know that lying in an affidavit is a very serious issue.

I agree with you, O'Dea is a very popular politician in Limerick and he is a big name to force out of office.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

johngalway wrote: »
    I'm a farmer.

We don't bloody want her (again).

Joe Walsh we'd take. Is he still a TD?

I thought you guys loved her?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭deanswift

Willie O' DOH !!!!!!
    dilli o'wee has been fired1!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moonpurple banned from the forum for a month for trolling idiocy (posts also deleted as adding nothing to the universe). Please be aware (sane forum members) that responding to trolling remarks is precisely what a troll wants. Reporting them without on-thread reply is the best course of action you can take.

On an unrelated note, for everyone posting on this and other threads, if you can remember that the Politics forum is for serious to serious-ish political discussion rather than waaaah chat that'd be great as a small number of you have forgotten that:). Thanking you...

/mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

drBill wrote: »
    Yes, really close to breaking point. And did I hear him correctly near the beginning of the interview? Did he ask the presenter if he was taking the piss??!

No, i heard that bit as well- he said "taking place" IIRC. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭InisMor

Ann Doyle did seem to enjoy Gormley squirming about. Came close to giggling like a schoolgirl at one stage.

Willie will be back and going strong long after that Quinlivan is forgotten.

He got his apology and his money last year. If he was a real man that would have been the end of it.

A bit of advice to him for future TV or radio appearances would be to practice what he is going to say - came across as a bit of a half wit on the news.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

So he just resigned as Minister? Shouldn't he beout on his ear completely with no pension etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

InisMor wrote: »
    He got his apology and his money last year. If he was a real man that would have been the end of it.
    Meow. It was the media and some FG senators who kept this ticking over not Quinlavan. In fact he had to be coaxed into saying O'Dea should resign when I heard him on the radio the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

The presenter rattled his cage, sooner FF are out the better.

hinault wrote: »
    Sorry.

to the court.
    O'Dea is a barrister and as an officer of the court he should know that lying in an affidavit is a very serious issue.

I agree with you, O'Dea is a very popular politician in Limerick and he is a big name to force out of office.

He altered the affidavit, thus avoiding perjury - or so I'm told by somebody qualified in the field. Kenny was wrong to claim that yesterday. That is why there was no mention of perjury in the news today.

Besides, perjury wasn't the issue here. He really came down to what he said in the tape itself and how he handled the issue yesterday and on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

If O'Dea had of been a real man, he would not have reduced himself to this gutter level during the campaign level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

No, i heard that bit as well- he said "taking place" IIRC. :)

Can we get the tape from RTE and maybe get rid of one more of these FFailures ? ;)

One at a time, folks....one at a time.....we'll get there yet! :)

KerranJast wrote: »
    Meow. It was the media and some FG senators who kept this ticking over not Quinlavan. In fact he had to be coaxed into saying O'Dea should resign when I heard him on the radio the other day.

Yes, FG, etc, raised the whole issue, but Quinlivan should have been enough of a man to say the whole case was settled. Instead say a chance to get some attention. He seems a right twank.

It is is obvious that FG were looking to distract people from the whole George Lee thing. WThe case ended minths ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Sorry.

to the court.

True @ majority. But if they're not in office.... An election, by whatever means is the best way to get them out rather than whittling away at numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Yes, FG, etc, raised the whole issue, but Quinlivan should have been enough of a man to say the whole case was settled. Instead say a chance to get some attention. He seems a right twank.

It is is obvious that FG were looking to distract people from the whole George Lee thing. WThe case ended minths ago.

Just heard the O'Dea tape a short while ago, and 'real man' are certainly not the words I would use to describe what I heard. And to claim he didn't recollect saying what he did is an insult to our intelligence and to his office. This wasn't a throwaway comment, it was him very deliberately making a series of points. I'd say a lot of people eyes have been opened this week. After hearing those weasel words on the tape I find it hard to have any sympathy for him. Let alone the fact that he (a solicitor) then went on to make an untrue sworn statement about it.

He altered the affidavit, thus avoiding perjury - or so I'm told by somebody qualified in the field. Kenny was wrong to claim that yesterday. That is why there was no mention of perjury in the news today.

Besides, perjury wasn't the issue here. He really came down to what he said in the tape itself and how he handled the issue yesterday and on the radio.

As I understand it, the essence of what was said on the tape, was recorded in the affidavit.

However, none of us are party to seeing the affidavit so I suggest that
    we avoid discussing the affidavit.

What is not in doubt is the contents of the tape and the fact that he makes false allegations against the SF councillor and what was allegedly going on in that apartment.

I would be very anti-SF but I would not condone politicians have to make up stories about them,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

efb wrote: »
    I thought you guys loved her?

Jesus no, she was almost worse than Brendan Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

ok the case was settled,but when odea shelled out he did not buy quinlivans silence,

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

Well maybe there is a glimmer of hope for Irish democracy after all.I know he,ll be safely ensconced in the backbenchs for the next 15 years( probably topping the poll in the next election).I know after that he,ll be given some handy number getting paid a fortune.I know that he,ll never have to answer any questions from the DPP/Gardai like Roy Behan or any other sean citizen would have to.But at least we dont have to stomach him as minister.That really would have been unbearable.

If O'Dea had of been a real man, he would not have reduced himself to this gutter level during the campaign level.

Beyond question, O'Dea shouldn't have made the comments, true or not. Sean O'Rourke (and I don't usually like listening to him as he never seems able to to interview without making his own opinions obvious - a reporter should be able argue for and against everything) spoke a rare piece of wisdom when he raised the point that O'Dea consistantly tops the polls and had no need to concern himself with a small fry like Quinlivan trying to wind him up.

This does not alter the fact that Quinlivan is less than a man - he got his apology. He got his money. Now he was wanting his fifteen minutes.

But O'Dea is fiery, not stupid. He knew he was being taped, so I believe that was a Garda source, whether the info was correct or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

As I understand it, the essence of what was said on the tape, was recorded in the affidavit.

What is not in doubt is the contents of the tape and the fact that he makes false allegations against the SF councillor and what was allegedly going on in that apartment.

I would be very anti-SF but I would not condone politicians have to make up stories about them,

here you go

http://twitpic.com/photos/theaffidavit2

True, we do not know the contents of any of the affidavits. But if perjury was the issue then it would have been said today. It wasn't. Even when Sean O'Rourke was roasting O'Dea on the radio, O'Dea pointed out that no perjury was committed and O'Rourke did not contradict him - which he would have.

The issue at hand was O'Dea's behaviour in the original interview and how he handled himself yesterday and today - plus both the FG and the Green's recent embarrassments.

IrishTonyO wrote: »

I'm getting a dead link there. Those the "2" mean this is the altered document?

Anyway, as I was saying - the affidavits aren't really the issue as no perjury was committed.

It is O'Dea's behaviour that is the issue - even Quinlivan made no mention of the affidavits - the issue is actually what he said in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

was hoping he would have resigned as a TD completely, but probably a bit too optimistic
    will be interesting to see who gets to defend him on Vincent O'Brien show, whoever it is will be torn to shreds

IrishTonyO wrote: »

Thanks for that link Tony.

Makes for interesting reading actually!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Thanks for that link Tony.

Makes for interesting reading actually!

Yeah found em online last night, was actually surprised they were on line

Advertisement