Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Barking - Advice

Options
  • 18-02-2010 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

Ok, so since just before Christmas, a dog beside us has been barking constantly. Day and Night. It's left outside all the time, even during the 'Big Freeze' (which it's lucky to have survived outside) and even when the owners at at home. The barking is literally 24/7 with few breaks and it's beginning to get on everyones nerves around here. Last night it continued barking until the sun came up, no joke. And then kicked off again at about 9am.

I'm dreading having to start my thesis because i know that i'll be continuously annoyed by the noise. I love dogs, and i pity this dog, but something really needs to be done about this.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? I'm grateful for any advice on the matter at this point.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Call into them and tell them that the dog is barking all day when they are away. They might not be aware.
    I know you say it barks 24/7 but say it's barking all day and they might do something about it.
    If they don't, report them.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

hi

do not hesitate to report it to the animal cruelty. it is barking because it is the only way it can make itself known. it is not been cared for and should be rehomed. i did this before about someone who left their dog out and was not even home alot of the time. The animal was taken off them. animals should not be treated like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

It's just been barking since before Christmas, but have they had it for longer than that? It's kinda weird that it didn't bark before and now is barking all the time. Some dogs just love to bark alot, but that kinda makes me feel like it's hungry or something is wrong there. Can you see the dog and see what kinda condition it is in? Does it have a dog house and water and do they feed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

crally wrote: »
    hi

do not hesitate to report it to the animal cruelty. it is barking because it is the only way it can make itself known. it is not been cared for and should be rehomed. i did this before about someone who left their dog out and was not even home alot of the time. The animal was taken off them. animals should not be treated like that.

Animal welfare groups will normally only take the dog from the owners in extreme cases. If at all possible, they will tend to leave the dog with the owner, but will educate the owner as to the best way to care for their dog.

Perhaps the first course of action should be to have a chat with your neighbour, explain the situation and see how they react. However, it's important that you should go about it nicely rather than being forceful or argumentative about it. Then if the owner reacts badly, you'll have to take a decision as to where you go from there.

As somebody mentioned above, has the dog got access to adequate fresh water during the day as well as food? Is it tied up all the time? Are there toys for it to play with? Adequate space to run around in? A warm sheltered bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

kildara wrote: »
    Call into them and tell them that the dog is barking all day when they are away. They might not be aware.
    I know you say it barks 24/7 but say it's barking all day and they might do something about it.
    If they don't, report them.

Yea I agree with that approach, call in after tea time just tell them your worried for the dog's safety and he might be missing their company.

If there away all day they can't know the dog's barking. The other thing might be the dog only arrived before Christmas and now they are all tired of their little puppy.

They need to be told...........:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We had this up here at the start of the Big Freeze. I managed to lt it be known locally by someone I knew would tell the owner that clearly there was something wrong at the house and that it would be checked up on..

Discodog was great.

And silence came and has lasted since. It barks a little sometimes, then silence.

Often the "threat" is all that is needed so good luck and yes, do make a complaint. m Often it is easier and more effective if it comes from an official source too.

That dog here was clearly tied up in all the ice.

Advertisement