Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL & NUIG to form an alliance

Options
  • 18-02-2010 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0215/education.html

So if you haven't heard, Galway and ourselves are getting into an academic alliance. Now, apart from the above article which basically says "let's be friends and pool resources" - what exactly will this alliance entail?

How will the lives of the ordinary student change?

Will there be the possibility of interversity academic oppurtunities?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Its a curious one; how exactly will it benefit students of both institutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

im 50 50 on this what i really want to know is the apparent 'prestigious' university in the states we will be creating 'close ties' with.

the phd the president talks about in his email would be directly to me and is good to know about but i cant really see how undergrads will benefit specifically form this but we all know that a a college isnt made by its undergrads anyway so maybe that isnt the point of this

look out for the announcement of the american school and pray its a top 50 school

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

PeakOutput wrote: »
    im 50 50 on this what i really want to know is the apparent 'prestigious' university in the states we will be creating 'close ties' with.

<snip>

look out for the announcement of the american school and pray its a top 50 school

Georgia Tech in Atlanta (wiki page for general info). Have they not announced that yet so that the actual students will know? Scallywags. Well, you probably heard it here first then.

Quick check by me says it's rated 35th in the US by the most-used US News & World Report rankings. 86th in the international Times/QS listing for 2009 by my check (where in the same listing TCD got 43rd and UCD got 89th with NUIG getting 243rd and UL ranked an undefined somewhere between 401 and 500).

The Princeton Review rated Georgia Tech 2nd in its list of colleges with the least happy students in 2002. It has a glee club though if that helps, they're probably bouncy and happy, though I haven't seen that TV show yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

For the student:

You can take modules in NUIG or spend a semester at NUIG, ditto for NUIG students vice versa etc...etc...

If there's a specific module that you want to take that will alos be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

ninty9er wrote: »
    You can take modules in NUIG or spend a semester at NUIG, ditto for NUIG students vice versa etc...etc...

That sounds great, it'll give students the chance to live in Galway without any hassle. Kinda wish I wasn't in 4th year now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Sounds promising, and both Universities should benefit.

Plus, we get the chance to go on erasmus to Galway...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Definite sign the recession is biting; 2 for the price of 1 degrees/colleges :p

Or 2 for the price of 10 if Batt has his way, eh Ninty? :pac:

Advertisement