Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selling a Digital Copy?

• 18-02-2010 8:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

hey guys, i wonder if any of you can offer me advice here.

i have a little photography shop on etsy where i sell a couple of prints (not many sales yet, but i'm enjoying it!).

a buyer from the states just got in contact with me to say that she liked one of my shots so much that she'd like to have it as a big wall piece in her house, she didn't mention what size. i'm currently selling it in a 5 x 7 print.

i think what she was suggesting was if she would be allowed to buy the 5 x 7 print and then blow it up herself, but i'm not certain how that would actually work. it seems more feasible that i would send her the digital file to have printed whatever size she wanted.

my big worry about doing this is that she would then have a digital copy that she could just print and use whenever she wanted. i've no reason to believe that she would do anything bad with it, but i'm a bit wary of it nonetheless. it's one of my favourite shots and has gotten quite a good reaction, so i'm not willing to really sell digital copies of it.

obviously the cost of blowing it up here and sending it to the states would be offputting and i'd imagine it'd be tough to get it to her! but i could look into it.

do any of you guys have any thoughts on this? i'd appreciate some advice! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

not sure what way to advise but one thought - is it possible to utilise a third party that does this kinda thing all the time. I'm thinking here somewhere like fotomoto.com That way you won't let go of the high res, and your potential client will get whatever size they are looking for - payment through the fotomoto site.

Redbubble would be another site and there are probably lots of them about that will do the same thing.

That was just a thought - good luck with it, however it turns out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

*eadaoin wrote: »
    hey guys, i wonder if any of you can offer me advice here.

i have a little photography shop on etsy where i sell a couple of prints (not many sales yet, but i'm enjoying it!).

a buyer from the states just got in contact with me to say that she liked one of my shots so much that she'd like to have it as a big wall piece in her house, she didn't mention what size. i'm currently selling it in a 5 x 7 print.

i think what she was suggesting was if she would be allowed to buy the 5 x 7 print and then blow it up herself, but i'm not certain how that would actually work. it seems more feasible that i would send her the digital file to have printed whatever size she wanted.

my big worry about doing this is that she would then have a digital copy that she could just print and use whenever she wanted. i've no reason to believe that she would do anything bad with it, but i'm a bit wary of it nonetheless. it's one of my favourite shots and has gotten quite a good reaction, so i'm not willing to really sell digital copies of it.

obviously the cost of blowing it up here and sending it to the states would be offputting and i'd imagine it'd be tough to get it to her! but i could look into it.

do any of you guys have any thoughts on this? i'd appreciate some advice! :)

don't give her the digital copy, simply use an online printer who does delivery to the USA.

get her to pay you via paypal or something

try somewhere like snapfish maybe. or get it printed here in somewhere like: http://360-dpi.com/ and then post it in a poster tube, shouldn't cost more than €10-€15 to post to the usa

Advertisement