Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glendalough Sunrise catcher

• 18-02-2010 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

Ok

Following on from a discussion we had over coffee while on the last photowalk - it was suggested that we go to Glendalough early one morning and catch .... (wasn't really discussed what we were going to photo) ....

I would suggest Sunday the 7th of March.

That is Sunday week, the morning after the Ireland/England rugby match.

It will be an early rise, with no excuses of "I was celebrating the win" (of course we will win), to get there early - there was mention of being there an hour before sunrise ...... run off and check the sunrise app on your iPhone! :P
    - I believe being there for 7am was mentioned, possibly even earlier.... will take me an hour to get there - rough guess.

Anyway,
    Transport there! I have a car going from Drumcondra with space for three others (I believe one space was booked on the night - so 2 left)

If you are coming along and are willing to give lifts, to random strangers:p, please say so - alternatively you can arrange who is in your car behind the scenes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

I will be there for sure. 7am is a good start time, allows scouting of good locations and even some flash or light painting.

Have room for 3 people if anyone would like a lift up.
    For non-drivers who want to arrange a pick up point, the Air Coach runs hourly from the airport along the coast out to Greystones. I can pick up from Bray Town or Greystones village that morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I will hopefully make it too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

well I have this thing'ie'ma'jig to show sunrise etc and here is a screen shot.

FEDD94886D814537BD129E30F32AC591-800.jpg

clicky for larger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Just wanted to mention this site, and that 7 am could be almost too late if you first want to look for a location. Chorcai was faster.

Oh, and as mentioned on Monday I would love to join. But now have to say that I'm away just that weekend. And I suppose the weekend after is not in question. That would make the discussion more complicated and an evern earlier sunrise.

Pity. I always wanted to go there early in the morning and am sure I won't make it on my own - I'm not a morning person at all!

So enjoy and I will look at your results and be jealous:mad:

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Sunday the 7th of MARCH SUITS ME JUST FINE - NO RUGBY THAT WEEKEND -frickin caps went on, not going back to fix it, would rather type this!:p

Forgot to say - the bridge going to the monestry is gone - washed away.

So if those who have already posted have no problem moving the date then we will.

I think we all agreed we are in the same boat as Xia - pulling yourself out of bed just for your own 'enjoyment' is just not going to happen.

• Advertisement

Thanks!! If that's ok for the others: Brilliant! If not, well bad luck for me and hopefully there will be another time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Sunday March 7th. is fine for me

At the moment the 7th is fine for me. If we have to be there at 5am I'm up for it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

Well I'm up for it anyway - as I said last Moday I've been meaning to get up there for sunrise for ages but could never drag myself out of bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Chorcai, that has to be one of the best thing'ie'ma'jig's I have come across. Bloody awesome. Its incredible the detail, speed and info is amazing. Great find.

Here is link for anyone who wants it
    http://stephentrainor.com/tools

btw, the weather is not looking for the weekend of the 7th. Cant be really sure as its too far away so cant tell as the sites dont tell you that far but the days leading to the 7th are raining
    http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoforecasts/for16day_det.aspx?postcode=Dublin+Ireland&country=ei&selected=5
    http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/14days.asp?zipcode=Dublin

The best day so far is Sat the 27th of Feb which seems to have few clouds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Brilliant idea!
    Don't think I could talk myself out of bed in time for this, while the mercury is so low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Brilliant idea!
    Don't think I could talk myself out of bed in time for this, while the mercury is so low.

And your in Ireland how long ?? You should be going there with a hangover :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Chorcai wrote: »
    And your in Ireland how long ?? You should be going there with a hangover :D
    Bit over a year. I can handle the cold. The wet doesn't bother me. I can get up early if I need to.
    But, really early and COLD would take a extreme effort for me. :o
    And I will Definitely have a bad hangover on the 7th.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭eightcell

I'd love to come along if there is a lift available! Also there is a strong possibility I might actually still be drunk that early on a Sunday morning!

Can some people bring flasks of hot water? I don't have any such thing in my possession.

As I said I am going from Drumcondra:

:- into O'Connell St - up D'olier St - back down westmorland - out the quays to heuston - out the n4 to the M50 - down the m50 to wherever

:- Down dorset street - past the four courts - onto the quays - as above.

I have a habit of going to the m50 and shooting down to the end and then flowing back to Glendalough - if you know a better way please shout.... that early will have little traffic in the suburbs.

So if the weather looks better for the 27th / 28th should we revert to this date?
    I know it doesn't suit everyone, but the weather is more important. If it's raining & windy or both then your photography at Glendalough will be fairly limited.

Best route to take is to follow M50 south bound onto the N11 and then turn off at Kilmacanogue. You then follow the road up past the Sugarloaf, Roundwood, Lara & then Glendalough. It's kind of the straightest run up there and the road is in pretty good shape.

I will have my flask filled with strong white coffee :D
    If the weather is really bad you will find me sitting in the car watching a movie.

Access to the graveyard, the tower etc.. is now from the little carpark beside the Glendalough hotel. We could stop there on the way back from the top lake as there is plenty to photograph.

Damn it for missing that coffee on the Monday night!
    Anyone have a spare seat going?

Well where will you be EightCell?

eightcell wrote: »
    Damn it for missing that coffee on the Monday night!
    Anyone have a spare seat going?

If you can make your way out to Bray or Greystones early that morning then I have plenty of room.

Well where will you be EightCell?

If you have the space I can make my way to O'Connell St!

• Advertisement

DK32 wrote: »
    If you can make your way out to Bray or Greystones early that morning then I have plenty of room.

Thanks for the offer Dan but I wouldn't be able to make it out to there (Greystones) that early!

That's cool Eightcell. I would offer to drive in a collect you in town but my car is not very economical. It's costs me a small fortune just to get to Glendalough and back from my gaff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

DK32 wrote: »
    That's cool Eightcell. I would offer to drive in a collect you in town but my car is not very economical. It's costs me a small fortune just to get to Glendalough and back from my gaff.

That can mean one of two things....you've either got an old banger or something nice :D

Yep I have a space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

I'm living in Artane/coolock Anyone travelling from here? Or near by? If not anyone able to give me a lift from town?

Also, so what day we going again? lol
    Personally I vote for the 27th or 28th (27th is my preference tbh as weather looks better)

I don't believe in weather forecast - especially not in Ireland.

But then again, I definitely don't want you to come out on the 7th just because I can't make the 28th and then it's raining, overcast or whatever whereas on the 28th it would have been ideal.

Maybe a poll would help - unless it's already clear that the majority is for next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I'd love to come along too. Sinister Dexter, do you still have a space left in your car? Anywhere in the city centre or Drumcondra is fine for pick up.

If you go with 27/28 February, I'm afraid I'll have to pass!

Guys,

Sinister Dexter has changed his OP to reflect the new date.

Sunday (AM) Mar 7th

Sunrise on 7th will be just before 7:00am
    Suggest getting there for 6am start. This will give us plenty of time to get setup, scout out locations and if it's a clear morning get some long exposure shots in as well.

I will drive in as far as DunLaoghaire to collect anyone who wants a lift up.
    If you need a lift and can get to Dunlaoghaire I will pick you up at 5:30am

Cheers,

Yep I have a space.

Ok excellent, I'll go!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info about the OP, DK. I tend not to read threads from the beginning...

Ok, so I can offer a lift from Sandycove / Dun Laoghaire area. Makes things for you guys already in Greystones easier. Didn't want to say it earlier in case it's on the orginal date.

And will have flasks with tea / coffee with me.

Just realised, that will be a boards-photography weekend. Saturday taking the exhibition down, maybe a drink on Sineads birthday and Sunday Glendalough. Sounds good!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I'm not sure if I can go, but here's a suggestion:

If you're in the carpark near the upper lake, I suspect that sunrise will be obscured by the hill to the south east, so I suggest you get up onto the Spinc, a good elevation (about 600m I think). From the carpark it takes about 45 minutes in daylight, so allowing for the dark maybe an hour. From the top of the Spinc (need to be well equipped and reasonably fit, not hungover) you can see for miles. It'll be really spooky going up the steps through the forest in the dark.

2751787256_3935de77f8.jpg

Here's a view from up there looking east, not quite in the direction of sunrise that day, but not far off:

475989444_0972820ee6_b.jpg

Enjoy!

Hugh

@ Hugh, thanks for this idea. It looks great and I've personally never been up there. I think this would be great and if we do as a group it should be easier to encourage the less fit or enthusiastic (like me :D)

Found a good map outlining the walk here:
    http://www.wicklowwalks.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/glendalough-spinc_cropped.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I'm totally up for going.

Dan can I bum a lift with you. I've no problem getting to greystones that morning :D

Hi swingking, yeah thats fine with me.

So the 7th it is?

Whats the weather like?

What time do we got to get there?

Who is bringing a flask of just hot water? I'll bring the coffee and sugar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Hugh_C wrote: »
    Here's a view from up there looking east, not quite in the direction of sunrise that day, but not far off:
    And here's the view looking West ;)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/99275199@N00/4300894897/

Another pretty spot is on top of (or even half way up) Derrybawn mountain - I'm not sure however what the sun will be doing up there. You can reach this by going left over the bridge where the road to the Spink goes right and then putting on your hiking boots and walking straight up about 20 yards past the bridge - there's a reasonable path but it's off road.

So the 7th it is?
    Whats the weather like?
    What time do we got to get there?
    Who is bringing a flask of just hot water? I'll bring the coffee and sugar.

With regards the weather, we will have a better idea closer to the date. I don't hold much faith in the 10 day long range forecasts but they are saying dry, sunny spells & partly cloudy :D

Sunrise on the morning of the 7th is supposed to be at 6:57 I want to be up there for 5am. If the weather is not too bad but there is a bit of a breeze etc.. then I'd say it's worth heading further up as suggested by HughC

If it's a really nice morning we could still head up there and then see if we can get some nice shots of the lake on the way back down. I took this at 11am there a few weeks ago

4308090630_d1e3b842c2.jpg

I have a small flask and it will be full of strong coffee with a hint of slimline milk (no sugar) bring sugar and a mug if you want a cup ;)

That pic is stunning! - not on Flickr to comment/vote.

That pic is stunning! - not on Flickr to comment/vote.

Thanks. Keep meaning to upload them to pix.ie but the damn upload quota is killing me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Go pro on flickr Dan :D

• Advertisement

I have a pro account on flickr :D
    They are all under my wicklow set.
    I think Sinister is saying he is not on flickr, or maybe i didn't read it right ;)

I don't have Flickr!

So who is in my car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

So who is in my car?

I'll take a space if you don't mind!

So who is in my car?

Me please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

It can really nice if can get up there early. I took this shot at 5am 2 years in november.

OK My car

EightCell - pick-up on O'Connell St
    Micilin Mac - pick-up Royal Canal Bridge in Drumcondra.

PM me your phone numbers.

Who / how many do we have confirmed for this now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

I'll be driving up as well, I'll be coming from Marino and could pick someone up on the way through town - I'll be going along the N11 so can pick people up around the city centre/Donnybrook if needed. The only thing is that I'm not sure what my plans are for the rest of the day, but they are unlikely to include going back to Marino straight after shooting...

By the way I was up near there today on a hike, so thought I'd share a picture or two :)

4395473335_8dd396112e.jpg

4396241370_8c18fac72d.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

Count me in, looks like there's some good photos to be had :)

I'll have one spare passenger seat for someone who doesn't mind a low car and feeling every single bump in the road :rolleyes: leaving from Beaumont but I can alter my route down to accomodate anyone who's stuck for a lift

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

DutchGuy wrote: »
    By the way I was up near there today on a hike, so thought I'd share a picture or two :)

Beauties! Lough Ouler - I was up there during the previous snow and almost got lost on top of Tonelagee in the clouds. A very special place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement