Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glendalough Sunrise catcher

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

People going:
    Sinister Dexter - driving own car
    EightCell - SinisterDexters Car
    Micilin Muc - SinisterDexters Car
    DutchGuy - Driving own car
    m_s_nixon - Driving own car
    DK32 - driving own car
    SwingKing - DK32's car
    Xia - driving own car

PixbyJohn.... are you still with us?

What time do we want to get there? Where abouts are we going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Car park at the top lake at 5am
    Wait till 5:30 ish and then set off from there (depending on weather situation)

Sound good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

Sounds good to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I wuldn't mind tagging along to do some dawn IR, but I'd be overnighting from Galway. A floor to lay my head on the night before would be appreciated. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

Any time is good for me :)

Sorry Fenster, I'm not in a postion to help you out on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

I know I'll regret this on Monday morning:D Ah well. Could always go back to bed afterwards.
    I'd say 5 should be it if we want to get up to Spink with enough time to stop for breathing;). Would love to take pictures of the monastery early in the morning as well, but somehow it sounds like for sunrise up the mountains would be better.

Sorry Fenster but no room at my Inn I'm afraid. There is of course the option of staying in the Youth Hostel in Glendalough on the Saturday night. We could pick you up when we pass by in the morning. Happy to give you a lift back to civilisation on Sunday when we are finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I think I am going to make it on Sunday morning, I hope I am able for the long trek up the Spinc though !! How much is it worth if I stay and mind the cars in the car park ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

People going:
    Sinister Dexter - driving own car
    EightCell - SinisterDexters Car
    Micilin Muc - SinisterDexters Car
    DutchGuy - Driving own car
    m_s_nixon - Driving own car
    DK32 - driving own car
    SwingKing - DK32's car
    Xia - driving own car

PixbyJohn.... are you still with us?

What time do we want to get there? Where abouts are we going?

I will be with you hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

has anyone checked if the car park will be open at that time ? ....I was passing glendalough earlier today and car park closed at 6pm sharp

(didnt get an opening time...but if it closes at 6pm then it must open and I doubt they'll open carpark before dawn)

Fenster - if you are stuck theres a couch in my place (and possibly a blanket) for sat night - I dont know if I'll be going on Sunday or not (most likely not - due to work) .... some other people have already mentioned they will be passing Donnybrook area (I'm in Ranelagh...which is only a small bit away)

I was there before at about 6am and the barrier was up, didn't even have to pay in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

m_s_nixon wrote: »
    I was there before at about 6am and the barrier was up, didn't even have to pay in.

oh and I forgot to mention its €4 parking ..... no matter if you stay 20mins or all day.

Last time I was there at 5am the barrier was down, so paid €4 rather than risk leaving the car parked near the entrance.

There may have been mention about free parking.... will discuss more on Sunday morning.

I just saw this. I may stay overnight in Dublin proper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I might try to get to this too :)

"So what did you do for your birthday Sinead?"

"Well I went out for a few drinks on Sat night.... and woke up in Glendalough... what a night!":p

I will be staying overnight in a hostel in the city center. Is there any kind soul who will be passing that way on their way out to Glendalough?

Sinead, you should. It would be one hell of a way to work off a hangover. :D

Fenster I will be picking up EightCell on O'Connell St if you want.

That sounds excellent. :D

• Advertisement

Hey all,

Few things to bring with you if you have them;

Warm clothing, Fleece, hat, gloves (forecast -1 for Sunday morning)
    Plastic bag or bin liner if you bring a change of shoes / hiking boots with you, might be mucky up there.
    Hot Flask, cold drink, snacks.
    Torch / Light

If you have never been up to the spinc, be warned it's a fair hike so pack your gear accordingly. Some will be faster walkers than others, I'd suggest we stay together as a group and pace ourselves. There are no prizes for being the first to the top.

It will be dark so it is easier for silly accidents or for someone to get hurt. I'd prefer if we didn't have to carry someone back down or call out the Mountain rescue guys.

Weather forecast for Sunday AM is Sunny with partial cloud cover.
    Have little faith in the weather forecasts when it comes to Glendalough. It's the kind of place has it's own micro climate.

Look forward to seeing you all there on Sunday morning.

Any idea how far away from the car park we'll be shooting? Sunrise is at 7am and I need to leave at about 8.15 to get back to Dublin for 9. I just wanna make sure I'll have time to take some pictures before running back to the car!

Not sure on timing to get back down but it's down hill and it will be daylight by then so you should make it back down a lot faster. If you can, try and arrange for a longer stay so your not under any pressure to rush off.

Thanks Dan, I can probably stay til 9 at the latest but will try to get away earlier if possible. I'll snag a thread of my jumper on a tree so i can my way back if I'm leaving before everyone else :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Woop, sign me up. I haven't been out taking landscape shots in a good while, looking forward to this!

See all you guys bright and early!!

Nice one Kyle. See you there.

Still need phone numbers:

Micilin and Fenster. PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭monkeyman

Going to try and make this also. Can't confirm just yet. If going I will be driving from around Pearse Street but will probably have to be leaving by 9am to be back in Blanchardstown by 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

ok so SinisterDexter has convinced me to go, off thread! Any chance anyone is swinging by foxrock church/deansgrange crossroads on the way? there's a chance I may have a car, depends on what the older brother has to say, but a lift would be ideal!

SLIGHT PROBLEM!

I will be going to Glendalough from Dublin City Center- with Micilin Muc / Fenster / EightCell

But I have to head to Carlow after Glendalough. Anybody willing to bring the lads back to the City Center?

Very sorry about this - unforeseen circumstances.

• Advertisement

Alexlyons - that along the N11 isn't it? If so I can swing by and pick you up.

SLIGHT PROBLEM!

I will be going to Glendalough from Dublin City Center- with Micilin Muc / Fenster / EightCell

But I have to head to Carlow after Glendalough. Anybody willing to bring the lads back to the City Center?

Very sorry about this - unforeseen circumstances.

I used to be in the scouts. A hike is a hike is a hike.

if i have the car, which tbh is looking unlikely but still possible (which means i'd need a lift), I'd be able to bring these guys back in.

DutchGuy wrote: »
    Alexlyons - that along the N11 isn't it? If so I can swing by and pick you up.

missed that before my last post, ye it is, on the way its before dunnes. that'd be great, i'll pm my number, solves my problem!! sorry to the others though

I can take some people back to Dublin (not to city centre though I think but can drop people off at a bus stop/dart station on the southside). Not sure if my car can cope with 4 passengers though so someone else might have to take some a few people too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I might be able to bring one person back, but won't know till the day I'm afraid. Looking forward to this :D

dutchguy just making sure you got that pm?

So what time should we be at the carpark by?

5am, it's a fair trek up to the Spinc so we would need to allow time to get up there without rushing. Sunrise is approx 7am so we should comfortably have time to scout out the best locations / views etc...

RE: Lifts, I can drop back two or three to the dart station in Greystones.

• Advertisement

DK32 wrote: »
    RE: Lifts, I can drop back two or three to the dart station in Greystones.

could prove a minor problem for some, just so your aware. no darts on sunday between landsdown and dún laoghaire.

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/rail/story.asp?id=4789

Not a problem, I can drop people off in DunLaoghaire if needed. Just wanted to keep my fuel bill to a minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

DK32 wrote: »
    Not a problem, I can drop people off in DunLaoghaire if needed. Just wanted to keep my fuel bill to a minimum.

Well....that doesn't really help as the interuption is between DL and Landsdowne - so direction town;)

At the moment I'm optimistic and think I'm fit enough to visit the Zoo afterwards. So have space in my car to town. And even if I don't go to the Zoo I don't mind the detour. On a Sunday that shouldn't take too long.

@ Alexlyons: In case you don't get into contact with Dutch Guy: Deansgrange is not a huge detour for me, so I offer backup if needed.

My colleagues called me mad for my weekend plans. But I'm looking forward to it!! (Ask me again on Sunday at 3.30 am or so when I'm trying to leave my bed.)
    But if the sunrise is like it was the last mornings...Well worth it!

Sorry should have said I was thinking DL for the 46a bus route into town. Sure we can play it by ear once we are done, if lifts are needed then it won't be an issue.

xia wrote: »
    @ Alexlyons: In case you don't get into contact with Dutch Guy: Deansgrange is not a huge detour for me, so I offer backup if needed.

My colleagues called me mad for my weekend plans. But I'm looking forward to it!! (Ask me again on Sunday at 3.30 am or so when I'm trying to leave my bed.)
    But if the sunrise is like it was the last mornings...Well worth it!

thanks for that, got in touch all sorted. appreciate the offer!

can't wait either, first meet up like this so I'm eager to learn! initially thinking sunrise at 7ish doesn't sound to bad, then setting up at 6ish, then in the car park at 5 to leaving at 4.15 to being up at half 3 or so... it can be so deceptive!! it should pay off though with some good photos.

alexlyons wrote: »
    initially thinking sunrise at 7ish doesn't sound to bad, then setting up at 6ish, then in the car park at 5 to leaving at 4.15 to being up at half 3 or so... it can be so deceptive!!

So true!

• Advertisement

So out with SinisterDexter and back with DK32? @Sinister: What time should I expect a bleary phone call in the morning? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

alexlyons wrote: »
    thanks for that, got in touch all sorted. appreciate the offer!

can't wait either, first meet up like this so I'm eager to learn! initially thinking sunrise at 7ish doesn't sound to bad, then setting up at 6ish, then in the car park at 5 to leaving at 4.15 to being up at half 3 or so... it can be so deceptive!! it should pay off though with some good photos.

All we need to happen tomorrow morning is for there to be a massive cloud cover blocking out the lovely sun.

swingking wrote: »
    All we need to happen tomorrow morning is for there to be a massive cloud cover blocking out the lovely sun.

Or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭eightcell

looking forward to this now... single malt whisky hip flasks to the ready!

I will be checking this forum until 9pm today and again at 3am for any last minute changes to plans. If not I'll see you all in the top car park at 5am tomorrow.
    cheers,

• Advertisement
Advertisement