Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamb decapitated

Options
  • 18-02-2010 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭

I heard on 'Drive Time' on Radio 1 this evening that a lamb which was out in a field was killed. Moreover, whoever killed the lamb decapitated it and removed its tail.

The farmer, who was understandably very upset, said that whoever committed the act picked the particular lamb because it was younger than the other lambs in the field, and so was much easier to catch.

It's such a disgusting thing to do. Why would somebody do something so awful? Moreover, it just goes to show that no matter where you are or how well fenced the field/yard/garden is, the animals are always at risk. It's scary and depressing. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

That is very gross indeed. How horrible!

I don't think I'll ever in my life understand how some people are cruel towards animals that way.
    Our first dog (pts years ago bless her) was horribly abused and beated, she was a matted scared mess when we rescued her and my goodness you couldn't have had a softer, kinder more loving pet than she was. So so gentle and sweet.
    I will just never get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Stuff like this isn't taken seriously enough by the Gardai.
    Many many child abusers start "honing their skills" on animals.
    The fact is, it takes a certain kind of person to do something like that to a defenceless living creature. Unfortunately the culprit will probably never be found and even if they were, would get a slap on the wrist and that's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Dee_animallover

Totally agree Magenta - if they can do that to an animal I dont think they would see a human any different or worse a small child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

Its pretty horrific to think that somebody would do this to an animal for the sheer pleasure of it. Yes we condemn many animals to comparable suffering and death ourselves but we do it not because we want to see them suffer but because animal products well... taste good, and that must make it o.k., right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Its pretty horrific to think that somebody would do this to an animal for the sheer pleasure of it. Yes we condemn many animals to comparable suffering and death ourselves but we do it not because we want to see them suffer but because animal products well... taste good, and that must make it o.k., right?

I'm a little confused by your post. I get that you're saying what was done was deplorable, especially if it was for pleasure. But are you also saying that animals shouldn't be slaughterd 'properly' or humanely for food? And that it's the same as someone carrying out a 'sacrifice' on a lamb?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

The link between cruelty to animals and certain antisocial psychiatric disorders is well documented.

Some religions do seem to encourage cruel killing of animals, but perhaps that just further reinforces the thesis that some religious beliefs are akin to mental illnesses (as Freud thought, for example).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

I have to say reading about animal cruelty really upsets me so I try to avoid reading about it. I remember not too long ago the picture in the paper of the donkey that a gang forced out onto a lake to see if it would stay on the ice. :(

I really hope the Gardai someday soon take animal cruelty more seriously.

Advertisement