Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography????

Options
  • 18-02-2010 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Here's my situation i'm doing HL geography at the moment, and i'm not v. good at it. All I am looking for is a D2,D3. I'm not good at writing the essays or any of that. I'm thinking of doing pass and hopfully getting a high B or even an A2 if i'm lucky!!!!! What would you's recommend me doing??? Is pass easy to do well in????

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Look at the marking scheme for ordinary level here (from www.examinations.ie). Look at the ordinary exam papers on the same site. SRPs get 3 marks each, instead of 2 at higher level, so less SRPs would be needed to make full marks. At ordinary you also don't have to study the option.

Bare in mind that your fieldtrip will be included in your results in the real LC, so that should help bring you up if it's done well. I wouldn't make a rash decision. Have you difficulty with learning the material or answer and exam technique?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

If you really are finding it hard to do well, then consider dropping. Thinking about it now though getting a B1 in Pass is the same as getting D3 in honours (points wise). If you think you will be able to get a D3 or higher in honours maybe it is worth staying because as mentioned the field trip will hopefully bring you up aswel. Good luck what ever you decide!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AxlRose1992

At the end of the day, Geography is one of the easier subjects to do well in. Buy the Revise Wise book and expand a bit on the points it gives you. For example, I was studying Biomes today, and the Revise Wise book had good short points and facts on the Rainforest, and if I take them and expand into a sentence and link them together, it works.

Consider dropping carefully, though its not easy to get an A in, a strong C isn't impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Consider dropping carefully, though its not easy to get an A in, a strong C isn't impossible.

To add to his point the geographical investigation is worth 20% and if you get 15% in it, it leaves you in a good position to get a C

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Geard

dambarude wrote: »
    Have you difficulty with learning the material or answer and exam technique?

Yeah its just I can't write 2 pages of info, our teacher is class like, he gives us loads of notes on how to anwser the questions and that, but I just can't register th info into myself. We're supposed to memorise 5 A4 pages of Biomes (Geoecology) he made out for us.:confused::confused::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

What is it about Geography that you find difficult. I honestly didn't like it at all when we started regional geography and just completely abandoned it. I was doing really bad, but I bought a revise wise and I'm reading through it and learning more about it and it doesn't seem so bad. Geography is all about learning stuff off. It sucks, but at least it's not anythin like higher maths. I would really consider staying in honours, if you work at it it's one of the easiest subjects to get an honour in, then again if your really finding it difficult and thinkg you might fail it's always worth considering pass.

Advertisement