Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick Criminal Family moving to Sixmilebridge.

• 18-02-2010 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭

Word on the street is there is a Limerick Crime family (the most notorious of the lot), being relocated to the Cappalodge estate in Sixmilebridge.

From what I have experienced, larger towns like Ennis and Shannon are not the only places to have had an influx of these undesirables, small villages like Kilkishen and Clonlara have also had this unfair burden placed on them. Why are Limerick's problems now Clare's problems?

It's a disgrace that our council will be footing the bill to supply these families with housing, not mind other forms of social welfare to these low-life murdering scum and rake in cash from the supply of drugs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

Rumour has it willie o dea is looking for somewhere to hide out also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Expect a state of the art Garda CCTV survey lance network to be installed in the bridge on every street corner in town in the next few months if it dose not have it already. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Lumping all your council housing into a few estates in Limerick turned out to be a disaster. We're going to have to spread them around even if it's annoying for locals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Lumping all your council housing into a few estates in Limerick turned out to be a disaster. We're going to have to spread them around even if it's annoying for locals.

We all know this,of course it's going to be a melting pot but why move them like cattle to graze in neighbouring counties. It's a Limerick City problem, so keep the undesirables in the city. It's only passing the buck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

One violent corrosive element can do an awful lot of damage to a whole community if they are allowed to get away with it.
    Scattering the trouble makers around the country will only cause more damage, it's like franchising out anti-social behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

Akrasia wrote: »
    One violent corrosive element can do an awful lot of damage to a whole community if they are allowed to get away with it.
    Scattering the trouble makers around the country will only cause more damage, it's like franchising out anti-social behaviour.

Your argument contains logic, the first mistake in trying to put sense to these decisions. While I was living beside the University of Limerick our estate was one of the first to have people relocated to. In the space of two months we went from having the police called maybe once a fortnight to make sure some students turned down the noise at a party at 3am to regular visits nearly everyday at all times of the day and night. Within a few weeks there was already a feeling of tension from students and residents both about the new arrivals that was well founded as burglaries went up an awful lot. It could have been due to the fact that several families were moved into the estate but it did have a big negative effect on the area.

Taken from clare Fm news.

Clare Councillors are vowing they won't give an inch to Limerick in a possible boundary extension for the city.
    As a new committee headed by Denis Brosnan of the Mid-West Task force, gets to work on plans for a possible single city authoirty to include parts of Counties Clare and Limerick, opposition is strong throughout Clare, particularly in the South East of the County.
    Killaloe area Councillor Cathal Crowe says the area is too important to Clare County Council to even consider giving it up.

If the Mid -West Task Force get to move the boundaries it will only result in bad news for clare. More space for them to dump their antisocial elements.South East clare as we know it will never be the same again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

There's too many to relocate around Limerick or Clare. They need to spread them around all 26 counties. Limerick has way more social housing than it should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

You're all stereotyping limerick travellers. I know a few people living in Southill, Moyross etc and they're in the gang wars and strangely enough most of them are really nice people.
    Where else could they go like? I doubt they'd make some kind of town for them slowly turning into a slum, and anyway, the gang wars make Limerick city an unwelcoming settlment.

LoganRice wrote: »
    You're all stereotyping limerick travellers. I know a few people living in Southill, Moyross etc and they're in the gang wars and strangely enough most of them are really nice people.
    Where else could they go like? I doubt they'd make some kind of town for them slowly turning into a slum, and anyway, the gang wars make Limerick city an unwelcoming settlment.

So,you know people who engage in gang warfare,deal in drugs,terrorise entire communittes, and basicly turn good residential areas in ghettos.
    But yet you clain most of them are really nice people.
    I suggest you tell those really nice people to stay where they are ,
    Nice people like them ,we can do without .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Hmm, I wonder do this crime gangs have any customers from Clare? Unlikely, we all know no-one in the midwest uses illegal drugs once they pass Tesco at Coonagh.

People need to stop seeing these gangs as a Limerick problem, they are an Irish and European problem, they import drugs for the whole island and they get money from the whole island.

Parochialism is destroying the midwest.

Hmm, I wonder do this crime gangs have any customers from Clare? Unlikely, we all know no-one in the midwest uses illegal drugs once they pass Tesco at Coonagh.

People need to stop seeing these gangs as a Limerick problem, they are an Irish and European problem, they import drugs for the whole island and they get money from the whole island.

Parochialism is destroying the midwest.

BS. Just because we may do our shopping in Limerick or drink a few pints there at the weekend doesn't mean we have to inherit their social problems and the vermin that it consists of.

Moving scum to small towns and villages will have terrible negative effects. They are a cancer, why spread it.

PS I don't think you'd be very happy having living next door to one of these families.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Yes there is alot of scumbags being reloacted along with some good families too don't forget. Maybe give them the benefit of the doubt first. Of course if they are notorious gang families the only benefit I would be giving them would be watching my back.

Does that make sense?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Jesus, i thought the Bridge couldnt get any worse.

The murder carried out on the ennis road limerick this morning should go
    to remind us what kind of scum we are dealing with here.
    Unfortunately shootings have lost their shock value in certain areas of limerick, lets not have it happen here.
    No amount of money invested into rehabilitation of these scum will change their lifestyle.It is bred into them.Sorry, but they are a lost generation,victims of their own enviroment.All resources should go to convicting these scum on a continous basis, If they cross against a red light,Lock em up,litter,Lock em up.Continual harrasement by law enforcement officers is what is needed.When they are imprisoned ,keep em in solidtary confindment so they cannot order any more hits from jail.The minute they are released ,keep em under surveilence and the minute they put one foot outta line , bring them back in again.
    Now some may argue about their civil rights, I normally would ,but these guys have lost the way of life and dont deserve to benefit from our civil laws as they dont care about yours or mine.
    Zero tollerence is the only tool we have to use against them.

I really dont want to be digging up this post in five years time saying
    "I told ye so" as another victim is buried in Clare. Unless action is taken it is inevitable.

BS. Just because we may do our shopping in Limerick or drink a few pints there at the weekend doesn't mean we have to inherit their social problems and the vermin that it consists of.

Moving scum to small towns and villages will have terrible negative effects. They are a cancer, why spread it.

PS I don't think you'd be very happy having living next door to one of these families.

My point is the gangs are fuelled as much by consumers from Clare as from anywhere else. It's not Limerick's problem (or Dublin's or Clare's), it's Ireland's. Unless you think no one in Clare uses drugs? (probably imported via Kilrush by a Clareman btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

So,you know people who engage in gang warfare,deal in drugs,terrorise entire communittes, and basicly turn good residential areas in ghettos.
    But yet you clain most of them are really nice people.
    I suggest you tell those really nice people to stay where they are ,
    Nice people like them ,we can do without .

No, that's not what I'm saying. It's only a small majority of travellers who engage in this. The travellers I know from the gang wars would prefer not to be even involved in it, and their families have been moved around too, even though they're not causing trouble.

You don't know the people who are moving to Sixmilebridge, so stop commenting on them =\ my brothers friend is part of the feuding families and she's incredibly nice, I didn't even think that she was part of the gang wars.

Your brother keeps good company. Ya must be soo proud of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Your brother keeps good company. Ya must be soo proud of him.

That comment is a bit harsh to say the least. How can you say that about people you don't even know?

Not every member of the 'feuding families' are born with a gun or agenda for crime in hand. There are some innocent people born into these families and I don't doubt for one second the girl who LoganRice' brother is friends with is a nice girl.

I have lived in Limerick and Clare and there are bad elements in both. There is as much fighting in Ennis on a Saturday night as there is in O' Connell Street in Limerick at 2 o' clock in the morning.

Scum is everywhere. Deal with it. If you have a problem with your criminal neighbours moving in from Limerick, knock on their door when they arrive and say everything you've said here. Doubt you're that brave!

If the councils won't stop the scattering of the regeneration families into neighbouring counties, sadly there is nothing that can be done about it by the residents of these areas. Focus your anger towards the councillors who you voted in to represent you, who are sitting back allowing this happen.

Take scumbags off the streets with your 'zero tolerance' and some other breed will grow. The problem of Anti-social behaviour will never be solved whether its a regeneration family from Limerick or some other Anti-social type of people. Keep to yourself and sort out your own problems and if these people move in next door to you deal with it then but in the meantime don't put down people you don't know.

My point is the gangs are fuelled as much by consumers from Clare as from anywhere else. It's not Limerick's problem (or Dublin's or Clare's), it's Ireland's. Unless you think no one in Clare uses drugs? (probably imported via Kilrush by a Clareman btw)

meh.

• Advertisement

I would not even dream of knocking on the door to complain about any issue with them...These guys are armed to the teeth with illegal weapons,
    I would not risk my life ,remember these people have no value in a human life. Zero tolerance will work !
    If a few innocent family members are getting hurt by their actions well that is a small price to pay for law and order. Also ,If these scum cared about their family they would have some pride and not bring this kind of suffering down on them. There are streets fight in every town in ireland ,and the world for that matter,but,we dont have a major issue with gang related violence in ennis YET. No society is perfect,but we dont deserve or need to be exposed to violence in our daily lives.Socially they are not going to change their ways,they know no better , so for survival of decent families and communities these scum must be eliminated.
    Once again this will only be achieved by zero tollerance.

I love people giving out about this and trying to say what a quiet innocent place the bridge is. Its a fúcking hole of a village with too many knackers living there to even start mentioning. Ive had more trouble with them in a nightclub than i have ever seen in a Limerick club.
    And dont even get me started on "Farmer Wars" in Ennis at weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

one way ticket to the cliffs of moher for these types,
    but sure what can you do, they will claim sw every wednesday, they will get the finest of free houses, they will drive 70k 09 Navarro jeeps around ennis, and brand new transits every year

Transits?
    You think the McCarthys, Dundons etc drive Transits or Nissan Navarros :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Melion wrote: »
    I love people giving out about this and trying to say what a quiet innocent place the bridge is. Its a fúcking hole of a village with too many knackers living there to even start mentioning. Ive had more trouble with them in a nightclub than i have ever seen in a Limerick club.
    And dont even get me started on "Farmer Wars" in Ennis at weekends.
    :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

A well thought out response, congratulations.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Your welcome.

Nice to see you still live in the past.

Your welcome.

Nice to see you still live in the past.

How do i?
    I cant remember the last time i seen a fight in a Limerick nightclub. I had to throw someone from the Bridge out of a club on Sunday night, same as every weekend.

How do i?
    I cant remember the last time i seen a fight in a Limerick nightclub. I had to throw someone from the Bridge out of a club on Sunday night, same as every weekend.
    Its a fúcking hole of a village
    Is Limerick a ****hole of a place because a few cause havoc?

How many Shannon lads did you throw out Sunday night?

• Advertisement

Is Limerick a ****hole of a place because a few cause havoc?

How many Shannon lads did you throw out Sunday night?

Yes, Limerick is a ****hole :D

None

Yes, Limerick is a ****hole :D

None
    We'll agree to disagree so.

And I think I know why none were thrown out on Sunday!

Do tell

For some strange reason Sunday drinkers seem to be a lot calmer. You'll get the odd few but Sunday is the best day to go out.

You're right to a certain extent but when the students from the Hotel Management college are out and the Senans rugby team are out after a match it can be a nightmare.

You're right to a certain extent but when the students from the Hotel Management college are out and the Senans rugby team are out after a match it can be a nightmare.
    Aye the HTM crowd have way too much money. Didn't think the Senan's lads would be that much hassle considering a few work there as well.

• Advertisement

The Senans lads arent hassle, just messy drunks :D.

Jesus, we've gone well OT :D

The Senans lads arent hassle, just messy drunks :D.

Jesus, we've gone well OT :D
    OT- but has any of the Senan's lads ever got kicked out?

The next time I'm in the club I know who I'll be abusing :P

The Bridge may have its bad few but it don't need anymore!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

First time I was yellow carded was against Senan's, rightly too I have to admit, but still turned into 1 of those messey drunks after the game, had a great session afterwards, 1 of the lads even contacted me afterwards asking if I wanted to transfer to a Clare team (I was playing in Limerick at the time).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Back on topic a bit.

Whatever about people being classified by where they're from, I personally think it's wrong for people to be given free houses if they are known criminals, I know that they will need help, but if you're a convicted criminal then you have a debt to pay to society, society should not be paying for you. Assuming that the people being relocated have never been caught up in any crimes, then why not relocate them? Do they not need to have the same support as others?

My biggest problem is that Clare are taking Limerick's problems, whatever the politicans want to say about Limerick city and county being different, the fact of the matter is they are both Limerick, Limerick should look after their own first and once all their resources are used then look to other areas for help

OT- but has any of the Senan's lads ever got kicked out?

The next time I'm in the club I know who I'll be abusing :P

The Bridge may have its bad few but it don't need anymore!

I seriously doubt they have.
    Im working Friday night, come and abuse me :D

• Advertisement

I seriously doubt they have.
    Im working Friday night, come and abuse me :D
    I paid that place a vist for the first time in about 9 months 2 weekends ago before that I had not been there in 2 years. I prefer a quiet pint :D

I think it best not to spread these people into areas where the Gardai would DEFinately not have anything like the resources available to them like in the city.

Sure, there are people in the Bridge who you might consider to be far from angelic, but they are Vauxhall Conference to Limerick's Champions League.

Last I heard there was a meeting yesterday between concerned residents and local councillors. I don't think it will happen.

I know this is anecdotal but I remember about 15 years ago when a traveller family decided to park their mobile home in the middle of the village, next to the river. In about 15 mins after their arrival, a crowd of locals confronted the family and told them to move on. The head of the traveller family wouldn't budge and refused their demands. At this, their caravan was pushed into the river and the family moved away from the bridge and never came back. Around the same time in Shannon a few traveller families set up camp on a road under construction leading from the town centre. Their was no confrontation, the numbers swelled, work on the road was halted for years and then we built them a halting site.

That is the difference between 'real' communities and Shannon. They look after their own and they will defend what they have and that's why I fear for what might happen if this family are rehoused in the village.

That is the difference between 'real' communities and Shannon. They look after their own and they will defend what they have and that's why I fear for what might happen if this family are rehoused in the village.

Do you seriously believe Sixmilebridge is a 'real community' and Shannon is not? Shannon is a lovely town. It's the real capital of Clare.:P

Your so-called community spirit has done a complete 360 turn in 15 years.
    As I understand, not so long ago an unflavoursome family from Limerick was moved to Sixmilebridge as part of the regeneration scheme.
    Did the community of Sixmilebridge gather in the community hall with torches and pickforks? Oh No! Instead a member of that so-called community welcomed them with open arms, so much so he had his wicked way with one of the wives in a local Sixmilebridge pub toilet, only for the wife to run back to the husband shouting rape and then the Sixmilebridge welcome committee was brought to South Hill in Limerick and shot.

It's not the family I fear for if such a family is rehoused in the bridge. They are only laughing going on previous events. It's the idiots who befriend these people thinking they can get along. These people should be left alone. The regeneration of these people will not be stopped unfortunately, and no amount of community fighting talk or putting down neighbouring towns will solve the problem. I understand you feel very passionat about this issue and you have every right to be, but the only people who can stop this are the councillors and to be honest I really don't think they care.

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    Do you seriously believe Sixmilebridge is a 'real community' and Shannon is not? Shannon is a lovely town. It's the real capital of Clare.:P

Shannon has no street to speak of, not even one. Read this http://www.lonelyplanet.com/ireland/county-clare/shannon-airport
    As I understand, not so long ago an unflavoursome family from Limerick was moved to Sixmilebridge as part of the regeneration scheme.
    Did the community of Sixmilebridge gather in the community hall with torches and pickforks? Oh No! Instead a member of that so-called community welcomed them with open arms, so much so he had his wicked way with one of the wives in a local Sixmilebridge pub toilet, only for the wife to run back to the husband shouting rape and then the Sixmilebridge welcome committee was brought to South Hill in Limerick and shot.

Get your facts right.

Get your facts right.

From what ive heard from a lot of people from the bridge, he is bang on the money(barring the shooting part)

Heard a rumour that the family in question are just a mother and son who share the same name as one of the gangs but are absolutely no relation. Would love to see if all this anger and fear was to help kick out a single mother trying to do the best by her young child and get him away from a rough estate in Limerick before he's old enough to be involved in gangs. Disgusting that people still want to kick out single mothers in this day and age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

It's not the family I fear for if such a family is rehoused in the bridge. They are only laughing going on previous events. It's the idiots who befriend these people thinking they can get along. These people should be left alone. The regeneration of these people will not be stopped unfortunately, and no amount of community fighting talk or putting down neighbouring towns will solve the problem. I understand you feel very passionat about this issue and you have every right to be, but the only people who can stop this are the councillors and to be honest I really don't think they care.

who was shot?

who was shot?

Her story is close to the truth but factually way off. A Limerick man was shot by another Limerick man in Limerick. The deceased was involved in an altercation in SMB a week prior to his murder.

Her story is close to the truth but factually way off. A Limerick man was shot by another Limerick man in Limerick. The deceased was involved in an altercation in SMB a week prior to his murder.

The man I referred to didn't die and the man who shot him is still walking about.

Pappy, who is the deceased you are referring to? Sure we are talking about the sam incident? Goodness, that Sixmilebridge is a rough place.:D

The man I referred to didn't die and the man who shot him is still walking about.

Pappy, who is the deceased you are referring to? Sure we are talking about the sam incident? Goodness, that Sixmilebridge is a rough place.:D

Do you really expect me to name names? And yes we are talking about the same incident.

• Advertisement
Advertisement