Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cabbage for android

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Hi Sam. i'm using cabbage ultimate on the Samsung Galaxy S3. I have the use inbox option ticked and the mark sms as read option ticked. When ever i receive a message and read it both in the samsung messaging app and cabbage messaging app the samsung messaging app displays a number beside it as if there is an unread message there. Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ronanc15 wrote: »
    All good on a different wifi network Sam.

Good :)

Is it still not working on the first wifi network?

coach22 wrote: »
    Hi Sam. i'm using cabbage ultimate on the Samsung Galaxy S3. I have the use inbox option ticked and the mark sms as read option ticked. When ever i receive a message and read it both in the samsung messaging app and cabbage messaging app the samsung messaging app displays a number beside it as if there is an unread message there. Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

If the number keeps increasing then there's a problem because the app isn't marking them as read properly but if it's staying at 1 or 2 then it's because the Samsung icon isn't being notified of the message having been marked as read and there's nothing that can be done about that unfortunately.

It happens on my own phone too. It happened with my galaxy S on Froyo, then it stopped happening with my S2 on Gingerbread and since I upgraded to ICS it's started happening again. I can see from the logs that the android OS is sending out a broadcast notification when the message is marked as read but it looks like Samsung aren't handling it properly or at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Okay thanks for the info. I presume it must be something to do with samsung so. Suppose i'll get used to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Tony10

Just wanted to add my appreciation for this app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Extremely useful app! Thanks very much Sam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Anyone having problems with 3 Ireland webtexts? Tried a new pin, still can't send from cabbage or login to the web site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Anyone having problems with 3 Ireland webtexts? Tried a new pin, still can't send from cabbage or login to the web site.
    Haven't tried sending but it only verifies my pin as correct 1 out of every 5 checks or so.

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Haven't tried sending but it only verifies my pin as correct 1 out of every 5 checks or so.

The three website has been having problems for a few weeks now since they launched their new service. Hopefully they'll fix it soon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Thanks Sam. Just read on twitter they were having problems with roaming and still having problems with webtexts.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭not1but4

Guys I am still getting that error ("Failed to get remaining messages. Aborted") on my S2 it was working fine until o2 started doing the following
    Webtext Security Process
    Step 1 of 2

As part of our ongoing commitment to your secure use of webtext we have introduced a new security process.

We will send a security code directly to your mobile phone which you can then use to continue accessing the service. Make sure you have your phone turned on and beside you.

So I have to click that and O2 send an text to me with a number and I enter it in and after all that I can send web texts. This only last for 20 minutes.

Is there anyway that you can somehow to do this all thought cabbage?

not1but4 wrote: »
    Guys I am still getting that error on my S2 it was working fine until o2 started doing the following

So I have to click that and O2 send an text to me with a number and I enter it in and after all that I can send web texts. This only last for 20 minutes.

Is there anyway that you can somehow to do this all thought cabbage?

Hi, yes I am planning something to work with it that I explained here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79717840&postcount=3841

Unfortunately it will mean that you'll have to have a phone somewhere switched on with your O2 sim card in it. It won't have to be the same phone that you're carrying around with you but it will have to be switched on with access to the internet so that it can send the code to the phone you are using.

Someone on my forum has posted a solution to this problem that will work with the current app but I can't say how long it will work for because it is possible for O2 to block the method. You can see the solution here: http://cabbagetexter.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8749#p10570

Basically you set your phone to make its internet connections via a proxy in Ireland because this security code is only requested when you're connecting via a non-Irish IP address. It should work for now but O2 can block the proxy's IP address from connecting to their website if they start to see a lot of traffic coming from it

Edit: And as I said on my forum, the fact that it's so easy to get around this security code just shows that it will have zero effect on these malicious people who are engaged in smishing attacks and will only make the service practically unusable for legitimate customers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

In my opinion O2's technical solutions never seem to make any sense form a technical point of view. However they consistently make changes that inconvenience you from using webtext and other services fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭not1but4

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Someone on my forum has posted a solution to this problem that will work with the current app but I can't say how long it will work for because it is possible for O2 to block the method. You can see the solution here: http://cabbagetexter.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8749#p10570

Basically you set your phone to make its internet connections via a proxy in Ireland because this security code is only requested when you're connecting via a non-Irish IP address. It should work for now but O2 can block the proxy's IP address from connecting to their website if they start to see a lot of traffic coming from its

Thanks Sam.

That would be it as I am using a UK phone which would have an UK ip address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Can anyone suggest why Cabbage is only working when I'm at home and my WIFI is on.

When I'm out and about and try to send a text, it just hangs there, saying "sending" (or something like that)
    Do I need to change any settings?

I'm on Vodafone and using a Nokia E52

Thanks for any advice.

• Advertisement

Can anyone suggest why Cabbage is only working when I'm at home and my WIFI is on.

When I'm out and about and try to send a text, it just hangs there, saying "sending" (or something like that)
    Do I need to change any settings?

I'm on Vodafone and using a Nokia E52

Thanks for any advice.

With an E52 I assume you're using the java mobile version.

Does it ever work or does it always fails?

Are you using the vodafone live or vodafone ISP access point and could you try both? If you don't know I can explain how to check or change it I can explain how to

what happens when you check for updates? Does it have the same problem?

Hi Sam,

Yes it's the java mobile version that I'm using.
    I have my phone "paired" to the WIFI router in the house, so Cabbage has no problem sending texts from home.
    I have not got it working when away from the house.

I don't use vodafone live (as far as I know anyhow :o) 3G possibly?

I have the latest version of Cabbage too.

Many thanks for the reply.

Hi Sam,

Yes it's the java mobile version that I'm using.
    I have my phone "paired" to the WIFI router in the house, so Cabbage has no problem sending texts from home.
    I have not got it working when away from the house.

I don't use vodafone live (as far as I know anyhow :o) 3G possibly?

I have the latest version of Cabbage too.

Many thanks for the reply.
    When you try to send a message over the mobile network, presumably the app asks for permission to access the internet. Does it then ask you to pick a connection method or does it fail straight away?

If it asks for a connection method, what do you pick?

Also can other java applications access the internet?

Hi Sam,

when I try to send a message over the mobile network, the phone displays the following:

"Allow application to use network and send or receive data?"

The options I am given are:
    "Allow once"
    "Allow for this session"

Regardless of which option I choose, I get this outcome:

"Result:
    Sending to Joe Blogs using account 086 XXXXXXX" (ported over to Vodafone a couple of years ago from O2)

Just stays like that for ages and then displays “Connection Failed, unable to connect. Please review your network settings"

Using Opera Mini, when I need a connection outside of the house, I get: "Connection needed" and the option to connect to Internet via Vodafone MISP

Not sure about other Java programs, I'm a bit of a noob to mobile internet as well as smart phones.

Most likely I need to change some network settings on the E52 though??

Thanks for taking the time to help out and also for the great app, I know many, many people use it daily and it saves them a bundle.

Hi Sam,

when I try to send a message over the mobile network, the phone displays the following:

"Allow application to use network and send or receive data?"

The options I am given are:
    "Allow once"
    "Allow for this session"

Regardless of which option I choose, I get this outcome:

"Result:
    Sending to Joe Blogs using account 086 XXXXXXX" (ported over to Vodafone a couple of years ago from O2)

Just stays like that for ages and then displays “Connection Failed, unable to connect. Please review your network settings"

Using Opera Mini, when I need a connection outside of the house, I get: "Connection needed" and the option to connect to Internet via Vodafone MISP

Not sure about other Java programs, I'm a bit of a noob to mobile internet as well as smart phones.

Most likely I need to change some network settings on the E52 though??

Thanks for taking the time to help out and also for the great app, I know many, many people use it daily and it saves them a bundle.
    What happens with opera mini where you can select Vodafone MISP should also be happening with Cabbage. You probably have the app set to always use the wifi connection so it doesn't ask and just fails if the wifi connection isn't available. I'm not sure where you can change the setting on that phone but I think it's in the app manager. Have a look around for an option to set the app to always ask for the access point to use. For example Vodafone MISP is an access point and the wifi connection would be another one, so there should be somewhere where you can set an app to always use a certain access point or to ask every time like opera mini is doing. If you can't find the option I'll have a bit of a google tomorrow and see if I can find it

Btw you've now answered whether you're using Vodafone live or ISP, you're using ISP, through the MISP access point. Are you pre pay or bill pay and if you're on bill pay do you have a data package?

• Advertisement

Hi Sam,

I'm on pre pay.
    I went into the apps manager and have set the default access point to Vodafone MISP and it's working now.
    It was set to "none"

I can't find a way to have Cabbage ask me which access point to use each time.
    It would be great to have it automatically use WIFI at home and MISP when I'm out and about.

Do you know of any way to do this?

Thanks for all your help.

Hi Sam,

I'm on pre pay.
    I went into the apps manager and have set the default access point to Vodafone MISP and it's working now.
    It was set to "none"

I can't find a way to have Cabbage ask me which access point to use each time.
    It would be great to have it automatically use WIFI at home and MISP when I'm out and about.

Do you know of any way to do this?

Thanks for all your help.

Google hasn't been overly helpful but I found two things that might help. the first is a way to set up every access point so that it can only be used after confirmation. According to some guy on the internet you can so it like this:

Go to Settings---> Connection
    Go to Destination
    Select Internet
    For each access point, go to the settings and go down to "Use Access Point"
    Select "After Confirmation". Do not leave at "Automatically"

I can't vouch for the reliability of that though

Another suggestion was to use an app called SmartConnect: http://store.ovi.com/content/10328

This is what it says it does:
    SmartConnect is a connection manager that automatically connects Nokia SmartPhones to wireless networks. Users pre-define their network preferences so that their device switches to Wi-Fi networks and back to a 3G / 2G network if Wi-Fi coverage is lost. This process is automatic and transparent enhancing application performance and reducing communications costs.

Thanks Sam, will try both options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Web text hasn't worked on 3 Ireland now for weeks on Cabbage Ultimate, using a Samsung Galaxy S3. when will this be fixed?

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Web text hasn't worked on 3 Ireland now for weeks on Cabbage Ultimate, using a Samsung Galaxy S3. when will this be fixed?
    Hi, Three launched a new web text system a few weeks ago and they disabled their old one. They don't seem to have told any of their customers or staff about it though.

You'll have to register with the new system here: http://webtexts.three.ie and change the password in the app to the new one.

To change the password in the app press menu->accounts, then hold your finger down on your account and select the "Edit account" option

Let me know if you have problems with it

Much appreciated mate working now.

I'm gonna post this on the 3 Ireland page on boards too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

They don't seem to have told any of their customers or staff about it though.

They did. It did take a while for them to sort it properly though as I couldn't access webtexts even from the site for a while in the transition!!

Couldn't live without cabbage :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

They don't seem to have told any of their customers or staff about it though.
    So the sticky they had on here in their forum was seen by nobody and so was the message on their website?

Kavrocks wrote: »
    So the sticky they had on here in their forum was seen by nobody and so was the message on their website?

I'm sure they had some information somewhere but the hundreds of emails I got from people who had no idea about it, including people who had been to 3 stores, suggests to me that they could have done more to get the message out.

For example now if you go to the old webtext link it redirects to the new one but for a while all it did was sit there loading forever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Anyone having problems on Vodafone. Messages were sending fine this morning but now I'm getting "invalid response received ( tried to parse a page & couldn't find expected text)."

• Advertisement

Love this app but is there any way i can use something different as an icon instead of a cabbage, i realise this isn't particulary of little or any interest to most but just thought id ask anyway :o:)

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Love this app but is there any way i can use something different as an icon instead of a cabbage, i realise this isn't particulary of little or any interest to most but just thought id ask anyway :o:)
    That's not configurable I'm afraid. I'll look into if it's possible to make it configurable but it'll be far down the list because of the issue I'm about to talk about in the next post

jgbyr wrote: »
    Anyone having problems on Vodafone. Messages were sending fine this morning but now I'm getting "invalid response received ( tried to parse a page & couldn't find expected text)."
    Vodafone have introduced a captcha image that has to be filled in before sending a text. I'm working on supporting it. The current plan is to show the captcha to the user and have them type in the letters. I've managed to get it so it doesn't present the captcha every time by re-using the same cookie but does anyone know how long those sessions stay valid for? Hopefully 24 hours at least so you'll only have to do it once a day

This hasn't killed cabbage for Vodafone but it has made their webtext a pain to use even for people who aren't using cabbage so this solution that someone posted in the cabbage desktop thread is the easiest way around the problem imo:
    jimmyjim11 wrote: »
    time to move
    And not to O2. They've done something even more stupid to people trying to use web text while abroad

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Vodafone have introduced a captcha image that has to be filled in before sending a text. I'm working on supporting it. The current plan is to show the captcha to the user and have them type in the letters. I've managed to get it so it doesn't present the captcha every time by re-using the same cookie but does anyone know how long those sessions stay valid for? Hopefully 24 hours at least so you'll only have to do it once a day

This hasn't killed cabbage for Vodafone but it has made their webtext a pain to use even for people who aren't using cabbage so this solution that someone posted in the cabbage desktop thread is the easiest way around the problem imo:
    And not to O2. They've done something even more stupid to people trying to use web text while abroad

That's a pretty scummy thing for vodafone to do. Hopefully, enough people complain about it that they ditch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

jimmyjim11 wrote: »
    time to move

I guess that Vodafone don't like applications like Cabbage? If complaining, should we even mention Cabbage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

For a large minority of people, a tablet is now the 'Desktop' for most of the day, so, I don't sympathise with Vodafone if they think there's a bit of 'unacceptable device use' taking place..

Hopefully Cabbage can survive this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Not impressed with Vodafone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭madmoe

That's a pretty scummy thing for vodafone to do. Hopefully, enough people complain about it that they ditch it.

If for one thing it's so STUPID....Vodafone idiots!! Where can I complain lads?? What about the talk to section here on boards.ie??

madmoe wrote: »
    If for one thing it's so STUPID....Vodafone idiots!! Where can I complain lads?? What about the talk to section here on boards.ie??

There are some threads on this on the Vodafone forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭madmoe

There are some threads on this on the Vodafone forum.

Cheers....had a rant over there!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

madmoe wrote: »
    Cheers....had a rant over there!!

I gave out there too and posted on their Facebook. There doesn't seem to be too much outcry there yet. I guess people haven't realised why Cabbage isn't working yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Thanks to whoever wrote Cabbage. It's a great app, well coded, light, fast and unobtrusive.using it on a Galaxy S2 on Three with nay bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

I ran in that change with O2 last week while in Belfast, had to send stats by text on every 15 minutes over the course of a few hours, I had to put in that security code for every second text I send >:( quite annoying when their network slowed down and they took more than 5 minutes to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭ffm

Haven't read the thread as it would take an age. I'm getting this when i try to send a text.
    Info: Invalid response received (tried to parse a page and couldn't find expected text)

Anyone know what do do to sort it?

ffm wrote: »
    Haven't read the thread as it would take an age. I'm getting this when i try to send a text.

Anyone know what do do to sort it?

Read the thread. The answer is just a few posts back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭ffm

Read the thread. The answer is just a few posts back.

Done.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭measurement

Yes, I've re-installed Cabbage just now which didn't solve the problem - it has been giving this response all day.
    I went to the website, and I see that Vodafone now requires a security code, which it displays, to be typed in. Are they trying to block Cabbage as well as automated diallers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I went to the website, and I see that Vodafone now requires a security code, which it displays, to be typed in. Are they trying to block Cabbage as well as automated diallers?

I think that's the end of cabbage if Vodafone keep this security code. Dammit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

On a brighter note, since 3 have changed their Web text system you can now send international texts with cabbage

Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 5 paul_or

please fix the Vodafone issue!

• Advertisement
Advertisement