Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cabbage for android

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Desire.d

Sanitarium wrote: »
    Hey,

On my G1, cabbage puts all the messages I sent through Cabbage in the conversation I was replying to in my messaging app so I could see the full conversation. Now on my hero, Cabbage is putting all my sent messages into a new thread in my messaging app. So I have two threads for each contact (one with all the messages I receive and one with all the messages I send).

Anyone else experience this problem or know how to fix it? I have tried two different messaging apps (Handcent SMS and the default messaging app) and both act up the same.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Same on Desire...

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Sanitarium

Seems like its up to the Developer then. I was using CyanogenMod5 on the G1 so it might not have something to do with the 2.1 software. Maybe its to do with the SenseUI?

Is the dev of Cabbage here on Boards or is the source available somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Seems like its up to the Developer then. I was using CyanogenMod5 on the G1 so it might not have something to do with the 2.1 software. Maybe its to do with the SenseUI?

Is the dev of Cabbage here on Boards or is the source available somewhere?

The original developer is on here (Sam_Vimes) and the developer who ported it to Android is on here also (Ryderster) so im sure they will see this soon enough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 reydshak

im a big fan of cabbage software for texting ..was using on htc g1 but bought htc wildfire a week agao ,cant fiund it on market and neither cant install manually..please help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

reydshak wrote: »
    im a big fan of cabbage software for texting ..was using on htc g1 but bought htc wildfire a week agao ,cant fiund it on market and neither cant install manually..please help
    @reydshak - i've merged your thread into this mega thread. you should get some help here. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

reydshak wrote: »

Should be able to download from link in this post.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66348871&postcount=207

if you have the apk, ensure you have the option to allow non-market apps to be installed ticked. on my nexus it is in settings -> applications -> tick unknown sources.

Not sure if the steps will be different on the HTC, but would expect similar to be found pretty quick by you.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭supaburger

ryderster wrote: »
    any one will to test a new version of cabbage.
    I have it working on nexus on android 2.2....
    so i am hoping it works on other models..

new features
    character counter option
    multiple texts
    inbox contacts option for favorites
    fixed a number of bugs.

anyone who can help?

the link is: http://www.arklow.org/android/Cabbage.apk
    ryderster
    i tried this and the one in the market but i cannot send sms and doesn't reconize my contacts.

i'm on o2 with a htc desire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

supaburger wrote: »
    i tried this and the one in the market but i cannot send sms and doesn't reconize my contacts.

i'm on o2 with a htc desire

what happens when you try to send sms?

As for the contacts, have you done this?
    Please copy contacts from sim card to google contacts account.
    This will solve your problem most likely.

In contact, select menu, select import, then click import from sim card

Regards,
    ryderster

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭supaburger

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    what happens when you try to send sms?

As for the contacts, have you done this?
    i get an authentication error but the settings are right

i don't actually have contacts in my sim card they are all in google

i get an authentication error but the settings are right

do you mean it says Check username and password?

If you go to this page and enter your phone number, password and network and click send what response do you get back?
    http://cabbagetexter.com/testcheckmessages.htm

i don't actually have contacts in my sim card they are all in google

Can't help you with that then I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭madmoe

Just installed on Nexus One running Froyo and it's working perfectly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

can i text northern or uk mobiles using cabbage on android

puddles22 wrote: »
    can i text northern or uk mobiles using cabbage on android
    yes, assuming you're using vodafone or o2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

sorry should have said im on three, does that mean i cant text uk numbers then

i don't think 3 do international webtexts. if this is correct then you won't be able to. cabbage uses your webtexts to send sms.

How about a home screen widget like the twitter widget that has two input fields: Contact and Message to easily send texts without having to open the app each time? Could be really handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Not available on HTC tattoo :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭.DarDarBinks

Help: Getting this message

Info; Invalid response recieved (tried to parse a page and couldnt find expected text)

Im on 3

Help: Getting this message

Info; Invalid response recieved (tried to parse a page and couldnt find expected text)

Im on 3

Can you go to this page: http://cabbagetexter.com/testcheckmessages.htm

Stick in your phone number, password and network and click send and tell me what you get back. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

anyway of being able to integrate it into android text messaging system ? :D

and being able to choose to send through data or gprs :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭.DarDarBinks

Can you go to this page: http://cabbagetexter.com/testcheckmessages.htm

Stick in your phone number, password and network and click send and tell me what you get back. Thanks
    Its come back with a number which i presume is my remaining texts, but nothing else.

Same message comes up when I try to send a text, samsung spica.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭-maccer-

Hi, firstly absolutely fantastic app, use it all the time. Thanks very much for making it.

The only issue I have with it was previously mentioned. The app does not pull in any of my phonebook contacts so you have to type in or copy paste in the number. The phonebook was working a couple of weeks back but stopped somewhere along the line. I have all my contacts saved onto my phone.

I am using a HTC Hero 2.1. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

hmm weird cause it pulls mine in on froyo 2.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

hmm weird cause it pulls mine in on froyo 2.2

Me too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭madmoe

All working fine for me too on Froyo 2.2\Nexus One....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Top notch app well done!!

Just a bit of feedback. I can't access my phonebook on a Samsung Galaxy S running Android 2.1, be class if I could.

Keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

-maccer- wrote: »
    Hi, firstly absolutely fantastic app, use it all the time. Thanks very much for making it.

The only issue I have with it was previously mentioned. The app does not pull in any of my phonebook contacts so you have to type in or copy paste in the number. The phonebook was working a couple of weeks back but stopped somewhere along the line. I have all my contacts saved onto my phone.

Top notch app well done!!

Just a bit of feedback. I can't access my phonebook on a Samsung Galaxy S running Android 2.1, be class if I could.

Keep up the good work!

The below worked for me. You need a Google Account (ie, GMail).

Keano A Legend,
    I persume your using a HTC Desire, or HTC Legend,

Please copy contacts from sim card to google contacts account.
    This will solve your problem most likely.

In contact, select menu, select import, then click import from sim card

Regards,
    ryderster

Its come back with a number which i presume is my remaining texts, but nothing else.

Same message comes up when I try to send a text, samsung spica.

sorry I forgot to get back to you. If you got a number back then the server side is working properly. Are you still having problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

-maccer- wrote: »

Works fine for me on my Hero 2.1. A mate of mine has the same problem on his Desire 2.1 though.

All my contacts have been imported from SIM to my google account though
    How about a home screen widget like the twitter widget that has two input fields: Contact and Message to easily send texts without having to open the app each time? Could be really handy.

+1 on this!

The only issue I'm having is that cabbage is starting a new thread in handcent when I use it.

• Advertisement

Q_Ball wrote: »

RE: Cabbage Widget

+1 on this!

I wouldn't mind giving it a bash Sam wants to release the android source code. I can find the java version on his on his website but nothing about the android code. I've been writing a few simple apps to get used to the API and would love to code something useful.

I wouldn't mind giving it a bash Sam wants to release the android source code. I can find the java version on his on his website but nothing about the android code. I've been writing a few simple apps to get used to the API and would love to code something useful.

I didn't develop the android app ;)

It just uses my server in the background. If you want to write an app to send texts all the app actually has to do is make a simple web request. the address is:

http://cabbagetexter.com/send.php?u=PHONE_NUMBER&p=PASSWORD&s=NETWORK&d=RECIPIENT_NUMBER&m=MESSAGE

Replace the items in caps with someone's login details etc and you're away.

Replace NETWORK with m,o,v,t,e for Meteor, O2, Vodafone, Three or Eircom respectively.

What you get back is the number of messages the person has left that month or a negative number if it failed:

-1 means invalid login details
    -2 means couldn't connect to the network website
    -5 means managed to log in to the network site but didn't get the expected response text back (e.g. if web text is unavailable or something it will just give an error page instead of the text page it's expecting)

edit: and you don't have to worry about splitting the text up into 160 character chunks or anything like that, the server handles it

Wow, thanks a lot. I'll hop on this when I get a bit of time and see what I can do.

Oh and iirc requests from an O2 phone have to be made with a post request instead of a get request because of something odd on their network

In the Java app I handle it by setting it so that if the user is using o2 login details it makes a post request but that's not actually a great solution because someone using an o2 sim card could enter login details from a different network and it wouldn't work for them. No one's complained about it yet anyway :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

cabbage is now constantly crashing on me when i click send, but weirdly still manages to send the text. (also it starts a new message thread in the message lists separate to those sent to the same contact)

im on a htc desire using android 2.2 & meteor free texts (cabbage lite version 1.0)

cabbage is now constantly crashing on me when i click send, but weirdly still manages to send the text. (also it starts a new message thread in the message lists separate to those sent to the same contact)

im on a htc desire using android 2.2 & meteor free texts (cabbage lite version 1.0)

Does it crash only if you change the orientation while the text is sending or does it crash even if you hold the phone vertically the whole time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Does it crash only if you change the orientation while the text is sending or does it crash even if you hold the phone vertically the whole time?

Crashes even when vertical

Crashes even when vertical

Right so that's not the same problem I had. Can't help then I'm afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 droidman

Anyone know if there is app like this that works for UK mobile providers? Have tried googlng and no luck but I'd imagine there must be? Cheers

droidman wrote: »
    Anyone know if there is app like this that works for UK mobile providers? Have tried googlng and no luck but I'd imagine there must be? Cheers

I looked into it a bit before but at the time the UK providers that gave web texts only gave something like 30 a month so it wasn't really worth it.

I looked into it a bit before but at the time the UK providers that gave web texts only gave something like 30 a month so it wasn't really worth it.

From having a quick look at the offers on uk sites I thnk a few of them do give webtexts so it might be a good idea - I'd be surprised if the uk wasn't ahead of us in what you get for your money to be honest so I thought there would be free texts before i went looking.

• Advertisement

From having a quick look at the offers on uk sites I thnk a few of them do give webtexts so it might be a good idea - I'd be surprised if the uk wasn't ahead of us in what you get for your money to be honest so I thought there would be free texts before i went looking.

Yeah a few do web texts but when I last looked at it they only did about 30 a month which isn't worth interfacing with. If you can find out something different.......

Yeah a few do web texts but when I last looked at it they only did about 30 a month which isn't worth interfacing with. If you can find out something different.......

Thanks for the quick reply - just looking at three mobile here in the uk if I'm reading this right if you top up by £10 and convert it to an add on (not sure what that means?) it seems you get:

Convert to an Add-on when you Top-up at no extra charge to get better value on texts, calls and internet. For example, converting a £10 Top-up into an All in One 10 Add-on gets you 3,000 texts, 100 minutes and 500MB internet for a 30-day period. See standard rates below.

3000 texts sounds huge and I'd be surprised if anybody would send that many but if you could fire off a few hundred a month that sounds pretty good? Anyway maybe I'm reading the site wrong so I dunno?

Cheers

Thanks for the quick reply - just looking at three mobile here in the uk if I'm reading this right if you top up by £10 and convert it to an add on (not sure what that means?) it seems you get:

Convert to an Add-on when you Top-up at no extra charge to get better value on texts, calls and internet. For example, converting a £10 Top-up into an All in One 10 Add-on gets you 3,000 texts, 100 minutes and 500MB internet for a 30-day period. See standard rates below.

3000 texts sounds huge and I'd be surprised if anybody would send that many but if you could fire off a few hundred a month that sounds pretty good? Anyway maybe I'm reading the site wrong so I dunno?

Cheers

That's 3000 regular texts, not 3000 web texts ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

is there a bug report site/request or is it here? are there any plans to support smaller resolutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mhtc

Hi, great app...i never use up those web texts. One question though, how secure is it if your password is included in the http request?

mhtc wrote: »
    Hi, great app...i never use up those web texts. One question though, how secure is it if your password is included in the http request?
    It's not massively secure to be honest, your password is sent as part of a regular http request so it is possible for it to be intercepted along the way. But at the end of the day it's just a mobile phone login so it's not like someone can destroy your life if they get it and if they change the password you can always change it back because you have the sim. Even if they were sent in https they would have to be decrypted on my server to be forwarded on to the network websites so I'd be able to get the info anyway. It's the same with any service that you give your information to, you have to trust them not to abuse it. Luckily I'm a trustworthy kind of guy :) Seriously though I have no interest in logging into random people's web text accounts.

The point of sending it as a plain http request is to keep data transfer to the bare minimum to keep costs down so you don't need a data plan and so you can use it abroad. There are plans to add an option to make a direct connection to the network website which would be secure and wouldn't send anything to a third party site though. The drawbacks of this method are that it would be slower, there would be much more data transferred and any time there's a change on the network site you'd have to download a new version where I can just change the server side script now but it would put some people's minds at ease.

woop wrote: »
    is there a bug report site/request or is it here? are there any plans to support smaller resolutions?

It's here. I'm not sure if that was addressed to me but I didn't develop the app, I just maintain the server side. I am planning to do a bit of it though because ryderster is very busy for the next while and doesn't really have the time to do updates. I can't commit to anything at the moment because I've never actually done any android development so I don't know how long it would take to get up to speed

Hi Sam,

Just a note if you are going to look at the android version of this i have a small bug. I didn't report before now as it seemed development had stopped and it does not prevent me using the app.

if you have multiple numbers saved under a contact cabbage fails to send. it does not even try and returns with an error about signal and credit immediately.

if i then delete the name and leave the number it sends perfectly. not sure the reasoning behind it.

(oddly enough it also happens with one contact i only have one number saved for?!:confused:) but all contacts with multiple numbers it happens for.

thanks.

I'll hopefully take a look at it but I can't give you a time frame

I'll hopefully take a look at it but I can't give you a time frame

That's no problem, as I said I can still send them by selecting the contact from drop down and then deleting the name and leaving the number. not a huge deal, but just wanted to bring it to attention.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement