Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CGH or DMH?

• 19-02-2010 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

He guys im going to apply for one of these courses soon but im torn as to which one to go for. I was planning on going last year but couldnt afford it, back then i was leaning towards DMH, mainly due to what people were telling me. Im a huge fan of video games and have always wanted a career involved with the games industry.

The reason why i was leaning towards DMH despite having a huge love for games was that i heard more avenues would be open to me in terms of jobs. Iv no interest in game programming although i do enjoy web design languages like css and html. Also im more into 3d which both courses seem to be heavily involved in. Logical thinking says to go for DMH as if i were to get into games it would be because of my 3d work, also they cover web design which is something im also interested in.

Any how i was hoping maybe any of you guys who have done either CGH or DMH can give me a break down of your course and how you found it. Pros and cons. Cheers lads

also i hear you can go on and do a third year in other universities like napier, this true for both of these courses?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Why not go for both...? There is a CGHND thread in here explaining exactly what its like, bcfe course list is down atm so I can't look at what's on the DMH side of things :rolleyes: If you apply for both and get them, you'll have way more time to decide which one to choose and weigh up your options but you sound like you're going more towards DMH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Dotsyx

Completed DMH recently enough. You do html/css/flash and whatever else you choose to implement in some of your group projects in second year on the web side of things. You don't learn much server side web stuff unless you're a self learner as you go along. You learn to use adobe programmes such as photoshop (image manipulation), illustrator (image creation) and dreamweaver (web design). You also use director, flash and 3d studio max (to the level of animating a single complex character). There are other bits along the way like dabbling in Reason and Soundforge (sound programmes).

Don't know much about the computer games course, sorry.

After your 2 year diploma you can apply to Napier in Edinburgh (I'm not sure if you go into the final year or penultimate year), which most of my class did. You can apply instead for the 12 month media and product management (arts) degree. It's done in the college for the most part but is awarded by DCU, which is obviously good for employment prospects etc. This is really theory heavy (as it's the guts of a degree in 8-12 months) and has little to do with the DMH course except to tack an honours degree on to the higher diploma that you're actually interested in.
    I think other places like IT Tallaght take in the likes of diploma graduates and put them straight into second year on the computer science course.

Hope this helps.

edit: heh, and you get my first post in five years of being registered. You'd better read this *shakes fist*

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭feckhead

It all depends on what you want to do. Although people say more avenues open up after DMH, this isn't necessarily true. The problem with pursuing a career in the games industry is that most likely you will need to leave the country to get a job.

If you are interested in a job in Web design do DMH. Although 3d is covered, it’s no where near as deep as what you'll do in CGH.

If you are interested in a job in games design do CGH, no web is covered at all (well none so far), but you'll learn some great 3d techniques from Shane.

At the end of the day the best thing you could do, if you would like to do any 3d stuff for a living, is work on your portfolio. You could have all the degrees and certs in the world, but a good portfolio will do more for you than they ever could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

cheers lads for the replies!! im very torn at this moment in time. The way im looking at things now is if i do CGH, ill study web design in my own time, and if i do DMH ill do more indepth 3d work myself. I just cannot decide for the life of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Right lads well its interview time now, iv got DMH tomorrow and CGH thursday. Still very confused as to what i want to do. I mean i do love games and would love to chase a career in this field its just im not mad into the coding side of things more the design side, 3d, story boarding, level design.

This is why i was thinking DMH but im still drawn towards CGH. Im just so confused its head wrecking!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

installed 3dsmax on friday night and i can make basic models and landscapes but nothing overly impressive yet (made a fairly good looking r2d2 but fell down apply any sort of material that looked right on it, would it even by worth my while at this rate to go up for the interview?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

You guys know there is 99 applicants for CGH...? so... good luck :pac:

Advertisement