Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ps3 eircom NAT 1

• 19-02-2010 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

hey, i have a problem...
    i cant get the NAT type 1 on my ps3 with Neotopia router since i moved in to a new house and set up a new account with eircom...
    at PPPoE im entering "broadband1" as a name and same for password, click on next bla bla bla UpNp active, and when it says to test BB, i cant receive even an IP adress, what gives?
    does eircom changed password or user names?
    also they sent me the new Zyxel modem, if im hocked up with it, i receive NAT TYPE 2 which is really good, yeaahhhhh for eircom, but eircom wouldn't be eircom if problems wont showed up on zyxel modem, it keeps freezing my desktop PC when i browse, so still no good, so its either ZYXEL PS3 with Nat type 2 but problems on desktop PC, or netopia PS3 nat type 3 which is horrible but flawlessly for Desktop...???!!!
    so i guess ill stay with my old netopia, but do please help me out to sort the PPPoE problem on PS3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

1. OMG that was hard to read. Learn how to use paragraphs.
    2. I don't see how your PC can freeze while connected to a router. I would say you're probably not describing the problem properly or MAYBE you have the router connected via USB? If by USB, try connect it vie network cable.
    3. eircom routers are rubbish. They are cheap and barely do their job unless you just want to surf from your computer. Purchase a decent ADSL router for around €60 and you shouldn't have any problems.
    4. Paragraphs people. Makes reading so much easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cpu.dude

lisij wrote: »
    hey, i have a problem...
    i cant get the NAT type 1 on my ps3 with Neotopia router since i moved in to a new house and set up a new account with eircom...
    at PPPoE im entering "broadband1" as a name and same for password, click on next bla bla bla UpNp active, and when it says to test BB, i cant receive even an IP adress, what gives?
    does eircom changed password or user names?
    also they sent me the new Zyxel modem, if im hocked up with it, i receive NAT TYPE 2 which is really good, yeaahhhhh for eircom, but eircom wouldn't be eircom if problems wont showed up on zyxel modem, it keeps freezing my desktop PC when i browse, so still no good, so its either ZYXEL PS3 with Nat type 2 but problems on desktop PC, or netopia PS3 nat type 3 which is horrible but flawlessly for Desktop...???!!!
    so i guess ill stay with my old netopia, but do please help me out to sort the PPPoE problem on PS3
    Stick with the Netopia. The Zyxel cannot freeze your PC, no router can do that. Also, your username is incorrect.

Username: eircom@eircom.net
    Password: broadband1
    Connection Type: Always On
    Port Forwarding: Guide Here
    Firewall: Set to low.

Done.

You don't need NAT 1, NAT 2 means your behind a Firewall but your PS3 is allowed to traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭lisij

RangeR wrote: »
    1. OMG that was hard to read. Learn how to use paragraphs.
    2. I don't see how your PC can freeze while connected to a router. I would say you're probably not describing the problem properly or MAYBE you have the router connected via USB? If by USB, try connect it vie network cable.
    3. eircom routers are rubbish. They are cheap and barely do their job unless you just want to surf from your computer. Purchase a decent ADSL router for around €60 and you shouldn't have any problems.
    4. Paragraphs people. Makes reading so much easier.

1. i dont see nothing about how hard was it to read
    2. firstly i dont even know how to connect router via USB, secondly PC freezes while using the web, you should a guess it, if you didn't get it, well...
    3. Why should i buy some extra electronics when im happy with the one that is supplied with, its like some one gives you a car, but there is an sport car, much faster and much better, but you have to BUY it.. huh??
    4. now ive wrote the way YOU understand it (paragraphs), would you be able to answer the question i asked??? or you just came here to spoil my topic, and say how hard was it to read for you

1. i dont see nothing about how hard was it to read
    Fair enough. I assume you are a non native English speaker. It's not a huge problem
    2. firstly i dont even know how to connect router via USB, secondly PC freezes while using the web, you should a guess it, if you didn't get it, well...
    I guess you aren't technical either. There is NO way that a router could make a computer freeze. End of. Either something else is wrong with your computer or it's not actually freezing.
    3. Why should i buy some extra electronics when im happy with the one that is supplied with, its like some one gives you a car, but there is an sport car, much faster and much better, but you have to BUY it.. huh??
    You're not happy with your equipment. That is why you are here. People on boards have a lot of experience with eircom routers. They are notoriously cheap, bad and difficult to setup with consoles. If you had of search boards before you posted, you would have seen that. You may have also found some threads that actually do what YOU want to do.
    4. now ive wrote the way YOU understand it (paragraphs), would you be able to answer the question i asked??? or you just came here to spoil my topic, and say how hard was it to read for you
    I believe my point 2 and 3 of my original post attempted to do just that. I guess you missed it.
    cpu.dude wrote: »
    I wouldn't be recommending an unsecure setting like that.

Stick with the Netopia. The Zyxel cannot freeze your PC, no router can do that. Also, your username is incorrect.

Connection Type: Always On
    Port Forwarding: Guide Here

Done.

You don't need NAT 1, NAT 2 means your behind a Firewall but your PS3 is allowed to traffic.

thanks for the help, but i still receive Nat type 3.. you gave me a router settings, i need a ps3 PPPoE password and username... thanks for the help

• Advertisement

Fair enough. I assume you are a non native English speaker. It's not a huge problem

I guess you aren't technical either. There is NO way that a router could make a computer freeze. End of. Either something else is wrong with your computer or it's not actually freezing.

You're not happy with your equipment. That is why you are here. People on boards have a lot of experience with eircom routers. They are notoriously cheap, bad and difficult to setup with consoles. If you had of search boards before you posted, you would have seen that. You may have also found some threads that actually do what YOU want to do.

I believe my point 2 and 3 of my original post attempted to do just that. I guess you missed it.

1. yea im not an English, but i try my best to right like one
    2. well i dont think you are technician also :) what i was trying to say, that the Zyxel router freezes or disconects while i BROWSING the WEB on my PC, i never said that it freezes my desktop, well at least i thought people will understand, when ever i browse, i mean browse internet
    3. whoaaa... i never said im not happy with my equipment, you probably misted it, i was only asking for a password to get NAT type 1
    on PS3
    4. low dosn't mean unsecure, if that would help me get Nat type 1 i would stick with it

1. yea im not an English, but i try my best to right like one
    2. well i dont think you are technician also :) what i was trying to say, that the Zyxel router freezes or disconects while i BROWSING the WEB on my PC, i never said that it freezes my desktop, well at least i thought people will understand, when ever i browse, i mean browse internet
    3. whoaaa... i never said im not happy with my equipment, you probably misted it, i was only asking for a password to get NAT type 1
    on PS3
    4. low dosn't mean unsecure, if that would help me get Nat type 1 i would stick with it

Fair enough, I'll bow out and let the others help you. One point, you don't need NAT 2 either. That can be VERY unsecure if it's network wide.

This non technical guy is signing off.

Fair enough, I'll bow out and let the others help you. One point, you don't need NAT 2 either. That can be VERY unsecure if it's network wide.

This non technical guy is signing off.
    well i actually do need nat 1 or nat 2, cause MW2 with Nat 3 takes to long to connect online, and when ever i had Nat1 it just takes couple sec

RangeR wrote:
    That's necessary with these Netopia routers, especially with regards to getting a PS3 to NAT2. It won't work otherwise.
    lisij wrote:
    thanks for the help, but i still receive Nat type 3.. you gave me a router settings, i need a ps3 PPPoE password and username... thanks for the help
    You do NOT need to enter PPPoE settings on the PS3. You either connect directly with the LAN cable and all settings to Automatic or connect Wirelessly with all settings as Automatic (except for the obvious WEP / WPA key).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭iknorr

isnt it

Nat 1 u need ppoe
    nat 2 Autosettings
    Nat 3 Something messed up with the settings.

why are you looking for Nat 1? nat 2 usually works fine & quick

half the problem is the zyxel router. Theres threads all over the place about it. its a crap router and needs a firmware update. Saying that i have Nat 2 with a ps3 on auto settings on wireless and it works fine for general use. port forwarding and upnp is another issue though

• Advertisement

iknorr wrote: »
    isnt it

Nat 1 u need ppoe
    nat 2 Autosettings
    Nat 3 Something messed up with the settings.

why are you looking for Nat 1? nat 2 usually works fine & quick

half the problem is the zyxel router. Theres threads all over the place about it. its a crap router and needs a firmware update. Saying that i have Nat 2 with a ps3 on auto settings on wireless and it works fine for general use. port forwarding and upnp is another issue though
    NAT 1 = No NAT, direct connection to the internet.
    NAT 2 = Behind NAT / Firewall but PS3 Ports are open.
    NAT 3 = Behind NAT / Firewall but PS3 Ports are closed.

NAT 1 isn't necessary and not an option unless you have the likes of Ice / Irish / Imagine Fixed Wireless Broadband and the cable directly into the console.

Zyxel works fine for the PS3, you just need to Assign the PS3 as the DMZ.

NAT 1 = No NAT, direct connection to the internet.
    NAT 2 = Behind NAT / Firewall but PS3 Ports are open.
    NAT 3 = Behind NAT / Firewall but PS3 Ports are closed.

NAT 1 isn't necessary and not an option unless you have the likes of Ice / Irish / Imagine Fixed Wireless Broadband and the cable directly into the console.

Zyxel works fine for the PS3, you just need to Assign the PS3 as the DMZ.

how do u do that with the zyxel?

So if i turn off the firewall on the router i automatically get nat 1 on the ps3?

how do u do that with the zyxel?

So if i turn off the firewall on the router i automatically get nat 1 on the ps3?
    Because I'm using one at the moment, you don't need to turn off the Firewall - just set it to low. Them with regards to putting the PS3 as the DMZ, you need to firstly give it a dedicated IP address according to it's MAC Address. Then you make it the DMZ here:

NAT > Port Forwarding > Default Server > Input PS3 IP Address.

This way, your NAT is still active and you still have a Firewall up and running and open access to the Internet from the PS3 (safe because it's Linux).

(safe because it's Linux).

I've never believed in you before but if you're up there Superman, save us.
    Oh sweet jeebus.

Because I'm using one at the moment, you don't need to turn off the Firewall - just set it to low. Them with regards to putting the PS3 as the DMZ, you need to firstly give it a dedicated IP address according to it's MAC Address. Then you make it the DMZ here:

NAT > Port Forwarding > Default Server > Input PS3 IP Address.

This way, your NAT is still active and you still have a Firewall up and running and open access to the Internet from the PS3 (safe because it's Linux).

hmmm ok. does the upnp work when u do that? ( im not at home at the mo so i cant try) Am i correct in assuming its the T1 V3 zyxel u have?

I've never believed in you before but if you're up there Superman, save us.
    Oh sweet jeebus.
    Safer ;)

hmmm ok. does the upnp work when u do that? ( im not at home at the mo so i cant try) Am i correct in assuming its the T1 V3 zyxel u have?
    Correct (the one I'll still trying to flash with Zyxel FW), you might as well enable uPnP anyway but because the PS3 will be set as the DMZ so it won't be any benifit to it.

strange that eircom hadn't a clue how to do this when i rang. and said it was a problem.

Thanks for the help!!! :D

You do NOT need to enter PPPoE settings on the PS3. You either connect directly with the LAN cable and all settings to Automatic or connect Wirelessly with all settings as Automatic (except for the obvious WEP / WPA key).
    with Zyxel router i dont need to mess with settings, all set to automatic, and i get nat 2, but when ever i use Netopia, set to automatic no matter what, i get nat 3

with Zyxel router i dont need to mess with settings, all set to automatic, and i get nat 2, but when ever i use Netopia, set to automatic no matter what, i get nat 3
    Thats why you have to set the Firewall to Low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭harryohh

With the netopia router I have my firewall set to "Off" and i still only get NAT 3.

Any suggestions to get NAT 2?

harryohh wrote: »
    With the netopia router I have my firewall set to "Off" and i still only get NAT 3.

Is this the old or new Netopia? Easy way to tell is the newer ones have the WPA key underneath the router on a white sticker. And with regards to DMZ, I believe it's called IP Passthrough on those routers.

http://192.168.1.254 > Expert Mode > Yes Enter Expert Mode > Configure > Connection > IP Passthrough

Now, in this list (make sure the PS3 is connected), select the PS3. Most likely if won't have a name (just an IP address) so select it and click Enable. Now reboot the router for 30 seconds and try it all again.

PS: Turn on uPnP in Configure > Connection > uPnP > Tick Box > Save and Restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭harryohh

Thanks for your reply.It is the new one.

I did what you said but my PS3 is not available to use for IP passthrough.

It is connected (wirelessly) because in the statistics page its IP address is visible on the LAN.

harryohh wrote: »

same here, set to off, and still nat 3

the strangest thing, that i were getting the nat 1 back when i lived at my old place, when ever i moved ( only like 1 mile away from the old house ) im getting nat 3, and i definitely did do nothing with router, or ps3 settings...

does anyone know is there a fix with Zyxel router, for not keeping disconnecting while browsing the web??? cause my neotopia gave up on me, stopped downloading from torrents sites, so have to stay with Zyxel for now

does anyone know is there a fix with Zyxel router, for not keeping disconnecting while browsing the web??? cause my neotopia gave up on me, stopped downloading from torrents sites, so have to stay with Zyxel for now

I don't know too many people happy with a zyxel router. However, an answer was already given. It's very difficult [impossible?] to get it working 100% with the hardware you have. There will always be problems.
    half the problem is the zyxel router. Theres threads all over the place about it. its a crap router...
    ...you don't need NAT 2 either...
    I meant to say NAT3. My bad.

ok then, so i guess i need to get a new router, been looking at Linksys WRT160N is it a good router? would it be hard to config it to eircom BB ??

ok then, so i guess i need to get a new router, been looking at Linksys WRT160N is it a good router? would it be hard to config it to eircom BB ??
    Simple configuration needed...

VPI: 8
    VCI: 35
    Connection: PPPoE
    Type: LLC Based

• Advertisement

Nah, I think that's a cable router for the likes of UPC or Digiweb. You would be looking for one of these or these.

Specifically, you are looking for an ADSL router with Wifi. I'm not too much up on ADSL so not sure if it's 2 or 2+ either. Someone will be along soon to give more info.

Advertisement