Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

j1 2010 Santa Barbara

• 19-02-2010 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

hey,
    Anyone ever been to santa barbara, california? There's 6 of us girls goin over in June! Just wondering if anyone has been and has any info like where they stayed, jobs, etc...:)
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sophieBDX

hey jenni,
    i've never been before but i'm headin over this summer :) v excited. I'v got a job at the SB Hostel, apparently loads of people stay ther when they first go over and then look for accom.Are u gunna look for a job when u get there or are u sorting somethin before?
    soph x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jenni-fabuloso

hey, how did u get a job already? we're trying to find some jobs and accommodation at the mo but its not the easiest thing :) wat date r u goin over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sophieBDX

got it thru the company thats sponsoring my visa - ccusa.its nli part time though so i'll probs have to look for something else once i get there.start on 12th june so i'll be arriving then.what about yourselved,anymore plans made?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 macky4jd

Well,

I'm going myself to San Diego and i'd say Santa Barbara is the same.. Get there early and just try the likes of shops and restaurants. The only thing is you might have trouble with accomodation.. I'm not sure what the perception is towards the irish over there but as far as i'm aware it can be difficult to get accom if ur irish:

http://www.dailynexus.com/article.php?a=9922

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭snowcrazie

macky4jd wrote: »
    The only thing is you might have trouble with accomodation.. I'm not sure what the perception is towards the irish over there but as far as i'm aware it can be difficult to get accom if ur irish:

In Santa Barbara you'll wana stay out in IV not in the city. Thats a disaster and it is hard to get accom if your irish as we have a terrible rep over there!
    Every year thousands of irish go to IV and trash all the apartments, and the local american student form UCSB HATE the irish, they hate to let you into their parties on DP!

Try apartments blocks on El Colegio or try breakpoint. Expect to pay 500 a month each for four sharing plus between 2500-5000 dollars of a deposit. also the aps are unfurnished so you gotta collect stuff off the side walk that other people throw out :D!

Its an unbelievable place for a J1 Isla Vista, the beaches and pools are really amazing!

Hint: Try the college for jobs, especially any guys out there, they hire people for maintenence... you get a great tan and rely cheap food in the canteen! $3 all you can eat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ciaranajl

Hey was in SB last summer - amazing. Had to post because of the comment I saw above about the UCSB students 'hating' the Irish - not true. We made lots of American friends simply because we weren't louts... so if you don't wanna be tarred with that brush, I wouldn't recommend staying in Breakpointe, a place where the Irish threw dead skunks and BBQs into the swimming pool.

But definitely stay in IV. It's best to leave it to when you get over there to sort out accomodation, but try not to sublet and leave a big deposit. It's likely you won't get it back no matter how little damage you do.

Jobs: UCSB not hiring gardeners this summer so google Camino Real marketplace - shops, cinema etc, and there are some hotels in downtown SB too.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Myerz

faffer wrote: »
    I'm an Irish student in UC Santa Barbara and want to sublet my room for June 12 - August 14. It's student housing, and it's already furnished. It's right beside the university and Isla Vista, and 5 minutes from the beach.

I'm looking for one female and/or one male for the sublease of two rooms.

A link to the floorplan is here
    http://www.housing.ucsb.edu/hchoices/fh-sanclem-floorplans.htm

The rent will be $750 (+$100 refundable deposit) including all utilities and internet, and there's a laundry on-site also.

sinead.22@hotmail.com

Sinead

I'm heading over with 5 other lads from Cork, i'll gladly take your room! :p
    None of us have jobs as we are the most laid back guys on the planet but i'm starting to look for one on the interent, no luck yet!

ISLA VISTA SUMMER 2010!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ciwinery

I have a house and an attached studio available for the summer in Isla Vista.

I am the owner and I have rented to Irish students for a number of years. I have referrals in Ireland from those who have stayed at the property. You could get additional info from them on what they thought of their time in Santa Barbara.

The current students/tenants were going to stay for another year and just informed me that they are not able to sign a new lease for the fall of 2010 and spring of 2011.

The ideal situation would be 4 or 6 people.I have always employed Irish students when I had my business.

Doug

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭duckmusic

ciaranajl wrote: »
    UCSB not hiring gardeners this summer.

Anyone know why the aren't hiring any Irish this year ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ciwinery

summer hiring starts around mid june. Should be a good season in Santa barbara.

Best approach is to stop in businesses near downtown and the beach area.

Businesses do hire Irish part time help,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LAwildgeese

Anyone wanting to play Gaelic football in SB this year let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dhenn

ciwinery wrote: »

I am the owner and I have rented to Irish students for a number of years. I have referrals in Ireland from those who have stayed at the property. You could get additional info from them on what they thought of their time in Santa Barbara.

The current students/tenants were going to stay for another year and just informed me that they are not able to sign a new lease for the fall of 2010 and spring of 2011.

The ideal situation would be 4 or 6 people.I have always employed Irish students when I had my business.

Doug

Hi there, are you renting this again this summer? There are four girls heading to SB. We were in Montauk NY last summer and heading to Santa Barbara this summer!

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 seb992

Hi there,

7 of us are heading over for the summer are you still renting to Irish students? any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cmooney1

My daughter and three of her friends are due to travel to Santa Barbara for the summer, early june to end of august. Would it be possible to sent me some more information on your property, rent etc.

Many thanks

Caroline Mooney
    ciwinery wrote: »

Doug

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ails22

Hi ciwinery,
    By any chance are you renting again this summer. Myself and 5 more girls are travelling over to Santa Barbara for the summer. We will be arriving May 27th!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dee1993

Hey just me and two friends are thinking about heading to Isla Vista in june 2014 and are just wondering if anyone has any advice on the place, like accommodation and nightlife and what not. We'd be looking to share to keep costs small and also have better craic and just wondering whats the best way of finding people to share with? Any help appreciated :D

Advertisement