Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU question - thermal paste + heat sinks

Options
  • 19-02-2010 12:54am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've just got all the pieces of my new PC build delivered to my parent's and am hoping to assemble it very shortly. I've got a iCore i5-750 processor and a Coolmaster Hyper 212:

1) Do I need thermal paste? Does it come as standard?

2) Do I still need the stock heat-sink with the CPU or does the Coolmaster replace it?

I've had CPU over-heating issues with my last two builds, so I want to make sure I do it right this time!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ixoy wrote: »
    I've just got all the pieces of my new PC build delivered to my parent's and am hoping to assemble it very shortly. I've got a iCore i5-750 processor and a Coolmaster Hyper 212:

1) Do I need thermal paste? Does it come as standard?

2) Do I still need the stock heat-sink with the CPU or does the Coolmaster replace it?

I've had CPU over-heating issues with my last two builds, so I want to make sure I do it right this time!

Thermal paste is included with the Hpyer 212, you replace it with the stock one. You need to apply the paste yourself for the heatsink. Easy enough to do. just dont put too much on!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Thermal paste is included with the Hpyer 212, you replace it with the stock one. You need to apply the paste yourself for the heatsink. Easy enough to do. just dont put too much on!
    Cheers - I'm assuming you mean that you replace the stock heatsink with the Hyper 212's?
    I'm assuming this cooler should offer significant gains over a standard stock sink-and-fan because I never want to hear a CPU over-heating alarm again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Cheers - I'm assuming you mean that you replace the stock heatsink with the Hyper 212's?
    I'm assuming this cooler should offer significant gains over a standard stock sink-and-fan because I never want to hear a CPU over-heating alarm again.

Yeah,you will want to take the standard cooler off the board and fit the CM 212.It will definitely offer much better cooling than the stock Intel HSF.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

yep. you dont even need to take the stock one out of the box :D

and definately, yes. the Hyper 212 is one of the best value for money coolers around at the moment. Intel stock fans are naff really. They keep the cpu cool on idle, but when the cpu is under full load it burns up :pac:

Also bear in mind, the Hyper 212 comes with different brackets (for different motherboards). So have a screwdriver handy for the 1156 brackets and follow the instructions on the manual that comes with the 212.

Advertisement