Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metalcore..

Options
  • 19-02-2010 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

..is some shi.te, no??

Have iTunes on random as I do usually have it, 'when darkness falls' by killswitch engage came on, course my foot was tappin.. and head was boppin away.. then I stopped myself, listened intently for a few seconds and realised "..this is ****in shi.te!,"

Stuck on some Sepultura, and came to post this topic.

So what do yas think? Metalcore? any good? or just a load o balls?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I really wish it would just f*ck off and die to be honest. It's spawning more whiny teens than the Emo sh!t ever did!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

What exactly is Metalcore? I tend to dismiss anything with harsh vocals off hand :)

Is it what I would lash into the genre "screamo"?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalcore

Pretty much every band in the 1995-Present I can't stand. Although it irks me somewhat that they cite "At the Gates" as an influence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Nice one with the wiki link, dunno how I went as far as downloading the Killswitch albums and actually liking them for a time.. without ever even giving Trivium a look in.. anyways. Both a group of sh.it hoses in my books at this point :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

There are so many genres of Rock/Metal i cant keep up, even though most bands sound the same! All i want to hear is some Butt Metal :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I like some of it, but a lot of it is just lost on me. I can listen to bands like KSE the odd time, but they wouldn't be high on my playlist at this stage. Some of the whole angsty teen things just get a bit annoying I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I don't really bother with genres. With me, music gets divided into 2 categories - I like it or I don't like it. Simple and straightforward!

Looking at that wikipedia link there are a few bands on there that I like - Hatebreed, Atreyu, Bullet For My Valentine, Trivium (older stuff) and Bleeding Through so I guess I'd have to disagree with the OP, metalcore isn't shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Like some metalcore, not a lot of it. Still though i wouldn't dismiss the entire genre as being crap. With every genre theirs going to be a lot of crap bands. Its the way of the world. I mean i think theirs a cack load of useless thrash bands but i dont say that thrash is a bad genre. In fact its one of my favorites.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

i know nothing, but metalcore sounds really poor attempt at labelling a subgenre. we really are running out of names eh - thrash was the most essential genre in metal as it armed metal, gave it a threatening punk edge but was always fun. the common kids were down with it, anyone who's a skanger today were still skangers back then but with Venom shirts on, Megadeth Anthrax even Maiden and the like. i don't see bangers around here no more, confined to the tamer estates.

some will never have witnessed the heyday of metal, i understand. but once it truly did own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

I used to like Killswitch alot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I hate that everyday theres a new "genre" or "box" to lump **** together in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

As with all genres there's a load of clones the bigger bands, but then you have the good stuff like Protest The Hero, All That Remains, Between The Buried and Me and The Human Abstract.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

I was big into As Daylight Dies by Killswitch a few years ago, but not so much now. Would Bullet for my Valentine be described as metalcore? Can't stand that sh1te. However, Ascendancy by Trivium would be up there in my favourite albums ... i think a lot of bands just lazily slip into a formula of chuggy riff/whiney growling/whiney singing for the chorus, and get lost in the mire. There is some good stuff out there, but a lot of it (particularly anything under the Deathcore banner) is tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

You dismissed an entire genre based on one song? Can you not even begin to see how stupid that is?

Metalcore is a rather large genre with alot of varied sounds, Converge, Shai Hulud, Between The Buried and Me, Architects, Dillinger Escape Plan, Bleeding Through, Trivium, As I lay Dying.
    That's alot of sounds that are classed as metalcore, with some of them leaning more on the hardcore side while some of them sounding more like Melodic Death Metal with their approach. Some people say it should be considered a genre in itself so to dismiss it based on the most popular bands is close-minded and idiotic.

Also, anybody who claims it's crap because of either the fans or condition of the bands hair is an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

I never commented on the appearance of a band, but yeah Iv been thinkin about posting in this thread again, just havent been ar.sed :pac:

I never commented on the appearance of a band, but yeah Iv been thinkin about posting in this thread again, just havent been ar.sed :pac:

Never said you did, but it comes up alot in these types of discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

no metalcore does not suck, theres a good few bands on that wiki article that I like just as theres bands in all other genres of metal that I like, that particular KSE song is pretty lame imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

I actually really liked KSE's new album, listen to a bit of there older stuff after I seen them at download fest too. TBH I didn't even know it was classed as Metalcore :confused: If somebody asked me what I listen to I'd either say rock or metal... this sub-genre shit always goes to far imo. If I like it, I like it if I don't, then I don't.. I thought Trivium and a few others on the wiki are alright.

Edit just noticed I wrote this while listening to Rose Of Sharyn :P

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

KSE are one of my favourite bands of the last few years.

Ive always loved heavy music but hated the growling vocals that come with it a lot of the time.

For example I love Arch enemies music but think that the singer ruins the songs.

Im sure there are a lot of people who love the growling vocals but its not for me.

I think its trendy to dislike MetalCore with some of the older metal heads but il listen to whatever I think is good and I dont care what people think..

I went to see Bullet for my valentine last time they were here and although the place was full of drunken 16 year olds it was one of the best live performances ive seen in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I can't see a problem with Metalcore, it depends on the listener (as with everything) but Killswitch Engage have always done it for me

• Advertisement

I've never actually like Killswitch, I've always found All That Remains, Trivium or As I Lay Dying to be much better.

I'm listening to alot of Shai Hulud lately, what some might call proper Metalcore in that it actually sounds like a mix of Hardcore and Metal.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I suppose it the same with metalcore, lots of bands that you might hate get lumped into it, and that makes it twice as hard to get into that particular genre. I don't hate metalcore, but I'm not that big a fan, I'm just indifferent to it on the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

i think the dislike for "metalcore" comes with because of the many killswitch spin off bands that get called metalcore and follow the killswitch formula which is always the same.
    heavy/fast intro riff, screaming heavy verse, maybe a halftime feel bridge into an uplifting melodic clean vocal chorus....etc or
    scream/sing/scream/sing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

I've never actually like Killswitch, I've always found All That Remains, Trivium or As I Lay Dying to be much better.

I'm listening to alot of Shai Hulud lately, what some might call proper Metalcore in that it actually sounds like a mix of Hardcore and Metal.

Cool man that's such a good song :D

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

There's both good and crap bands in the genre, just like there is in thrash or death or black or any other genre.

Den_M wrote: »
    There's both good and crap bands in the genre, just like there is in thrash or death or black or any other genre.

Yeah, but the proportion that get more mainstream attention tends to highlight a lot of the bands that certain people don't like. It's just the way things go I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭kevin_de_big

"Alive or Just Breathing" is about as good as metalcore gets. It's just poppy enough. Aside from that, I've never really taken to any metalcore in the long-run, for whatever reason.

I personally think Howard Jones has one of the best voices in metal and I think KSE are class for what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

I don't really feel too strongly about metalcore one way or the other, I just havn't found much in the genre to interest me for more than a few minutes, with perhaps the exception of the second KsE album ("Alive or...") and Darkest Hour's earlier stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭kevin_de_big

Howard's voice is undeniably great, though I think the band's music lowered in quality. I suppose they were looking for a different aesthetic.

Advertisement