Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help me achieve my goals

• 19-02-2010 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

hey all

i've read the stickies and followed as best any mere mortal could.

Diet:
    Breakfast: Protein Shake + tea
    Lunch: chicken, veg(broccolli, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots) + tea
    Tea: Tuna sachets + tea

snacks: apples, nuts

Training would consist of weights 4 nights a week. alternatating between legs, arms+shoulders and chest and back. Upper body weights would be as heavy as I can go until burn out.

Also have 3 tough cardio sessions during the week.

However i havent gotten below 94kg since I started in August. I was 101kg when I started and got down to 94 before xmas. However December excesses pushed me back up to 97 and I cant get to 94 not to mind below it.

I'm 6ft tall an 25. Would have a broad enough build naturally. I want to drop my body fat considerably as its around 20-25% at the moment. Ideally I'd like a weight around 85kg

I think my diet is relatively solid, obviously I have my bad days on it but overall it'd be mostly good days.

Can people please give some advice or tips in getting some results going to help me keep the motivation going. Its very tough when your working hard but things just aint going in the right direction

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

How many calories do you need per day? How many are you eating per day? How many do you typically burn in a week? Have you used www.fitday.com to track calories in/out?

4 weights and 3 cardio session? 7 separate sessions per week?

Have a bigger breakfast to set yourself up for the day: add porridge or eggs to what you are already having. You could sprinkle whey on the oats instead of just having the shake alone.

Are you sure that is all you are eating? No chocolate, biscuits, alcohol, junk?

It looks like weight should be dropping off you.

What weights do you do? Squat, bench, deadlift etc or machines?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

BossArky wrote: »
    How many calories do you need per day? How many are you eating per day? How many do you typically burn in a week? Have you used www.fitday.com to track calories in/out?

4 weights and 3 cardio session? 7 separate sessions per week?

Have a bigger breakfast to set yourself up for the day: add porridge or eggs to what you are already having. You could sprinkle whey on the oats instead of just having the shake alone.

Are you sure that is all you are eating? No chocolate, biscuits, alcohol, junk?

It looks like weight should be dropping off you.

What weights do you do? Squat, bench, deadlift etc or machines?

I will try that site you gave as i've never used that or counted calories before.

As for the training, often there is an overlap i may do weights early in the day and cardio in the evening. 2 of my cardio sessions is pre season GAA training which is a good push. As for weights i would do squats, bench, free weights mostly and also bring in some machines into it. i havent included swimming which i would do after the gym, not intense swimming just 20 lengths or so after to relax.

That is what I'm eating, obviously there are days when the junk creeps in but over a month that may be 3 days max. no alcohol consumed as i dont drink at all.

I was hoping for the weight to be dropping off me but its not moving at all. i'm almost at the point of trying those weight loss/diet pills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Hi There

Well in my non expert opinion, you are not eating nearly enough calories for a 25 yr old, 6', 97kg guy who is working out 7 times per week doing weights and cardio. So it is quite possible that you have allowed your metabolism to slow down.

Also can an you be a little more specific with your diet outline?

How many scoops of protein? mixed with water milk (skimmed/semi skimmed/ full fat)?

Do you take milk and sugar with your tea? If so how much?

How much chicken and veg?

Again milk and sugar in tea?

What are Tuna Sachets? are they pre mixed with any sauces i.e. Mayonaise?

Same question with tea

How many apples and how much nuts would you eat in a day?

You really should work out how many calories you need for maintenance (to keep your weight stable) and then either add (to gain) or subtract (to lose)10%-15% or 300-500 calories depending on your goals.

I calculate you maintenance calories at 3,700 ish (using the Harris Benidict formula), so as you goal is to drop weight (body fat), then you should be looking to consume

Using Percentages

10% of 3,700 = 370
    15% of 3,700 = 555

So you should be consuming between 3,145 and 3,330 calories

Using the 300 - 500 calorie rule (which works out pretty close)

You should be consuming 3,200 - 3,400 calories each day

I do not think that the diet you posted, if that is all you eat is supplying clost to this figure.

Best Regards,

M

B-Builder wrote: »
    Hi There

Well in my non expert opinion, you are not eating nearly enough calories for a 25 yr old, 6', 97kg guy who is working out 7 times per week doing weights and cardio. So it is quite possible that you have allowed your metabolism to slow down.

Also can an you be a little more specific with your diet outline?

How many scoops of protein? mixed with water milk (skimmed/semi skimmed/ full fat)?

Do you take milk and sugar with your tea? If so how much?

How much chicken and veg?

Again milk and sugar in tea?

What are Tuna Sachets? are they pre mixed with any sauces i.e. Mayonaise?

Same question with tea

How many apples and how much nuts would you eat in a day?

You really should work out how many calories you need for maintenance (to keep your weight stable) and then either add (to gain) or subtract (to lose)10%-15% or 300-500 calories depending on your goals.

I calculate you maintenance calories at 3,700 ish (using the Harris Benidict formula), so as you goal is to drop weight (body fat), then you should be looking to consume

Using Percentages

10% of 3,700 = 370
    15% of 3,700 = 555

So you should be consuming between 3,145 and 3,330 calories

Using the 300 - 500 calorie rule (which works out pretty close)

You should be consuming 3,200 - 3,400 calories each day

I do not think that the diet you posted, if that is all you eat is supplying clost to this figure.

Best Regards,

M

Hey thanks for your post it is really in depth with the calorie counts.

The tea would be with a drop of low fat milk and no sugar.

As for the snacks they wouldnt be huge amounts in that the nuts would be rare and the apples maybe 1 a day.

The protein shake is 1 scoop of protein mixed with water. I may have a second protein shake instead of a meal in a day depending on what i had/have on for a day. it would normally be casein protein instead of whey.

the tuna sachets are just the ones you buy in the shop, and have a tomato and herb dressing on them.

Also, i may have a couple of eggs instead of the tuna sachets as i'd alternate depending on the days/mood.

I never happen to feel hungry though. like this morning i forgot my protein shake so have not had a breakfast just a cup of tea and i'm not hungry at all. I often eat have my meals because of work breaks etc as there wouldnt be a great hunger on me at any stage of the day.

Thanks for ye're help guys keep it coming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

slingerz wrote: »
    hey all

i've read the stickies and followed as best any mere mortal could.

Diet:

Training would consist of weights 4 nights a week. alternatating between legs, arms+shoulders and chest and back. Upper body weights would be as heavy as I can go until burn out.

Also have 3 tough cardio sessions during the week.

However i havent gotten below 94kg since I started in August. I was 101kg when I started and got down to 94 before xmas. However December excesses pushed me back up to 97 and I cant get to 94 not to mind below it.

I'm 6ft tall an 25. Would have a broad enough build naturally. I want to drop my body fat considerably as its around 20-25% at the moment. Ideally I'd like a weight around 85kg

I think my diet is relatively solid, obviously I have my bad days on it but overall it'd be mostly good days.

Can people please give some advice or tips in getting some results going to help me keep the motivation going. Its very tough when your working hard but things just aint going in the right direction
    try to get your body fat tested every month as its hard to just use the scales as a measure of progress as you continue to drop weight.

Also what are you -

- benching
    -squatting
    - chin ups
    - overhead pressing

Also what speed are you running at for the cardio on that third day that is Non-gaa day? and for how long?

As you move on in your weight loss the program that got you to where you are will most likely NOT get you to where you really want to be.

• Advertisement

Transform wrote: »
    try to get your body fat tested every month as its hard to just use the scales as a measure of progress as you continue to drop weight.

Also what are you -

- benching
    -squatting
    - chin ups
    - overhead pressing

Also what speed are you running at for the cardio on that third day that is Non-gaa day? and for how long?

As you move on in your weight loss the program that got you to where you are will most likely NOT get you to where you really want to be.

Cardio is at setting 7.0 and for half an hour. machine usually tells me i've burned 550 odd calories.

Benching - 85kg
    Squatting - 150kg
    dont do any chinups
    not sure of what over head press is?

I understand that the program would need to change, but my problem is that the program and diet that i've outlined above hasnt really gotten me any results. I would have thought 4kg weight loss wasnt really a huge amount as i'd like to lose a further 11/12 kg's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Calorie intake looks low - tuna satchets for tea?

Don't be afraid to eat more - just make sure you aren't hitting or going over your calories for the day. Also - you are doing weights 4x a week - so don't focus on weight loss - think fat loss, how do you look in the mirror/how clothes fit etc.

Chet Zar wrote: »
    Calorie intake looks low - tuna satchets for tea?

Don't be afraid to eat more - just make sure you aren't hitting or going over your calories for the day. Also - you are doing weights 4x a week - so don't focus on weight loss - think fat loss, how do you look in the mirror/how clothes fit etc.

Clothes generally do fit better. I still could do with reducing the belly/moobs more and would like to get more toned and defined. As i indicated earlier my body fat is around 22-25% and I'd ideally like it to be much lower than that somewhere around 11/12 % would be nice.

anyone got any more advice or anything?

Advertisement