Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Ball Acts so far...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Jedward were dropped by their label today, will this have any impact on them playing the UCD ball? (please please please)

Doubt it, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

This post has been deleted.

Hopefully in a dodgy van by the side of the road to be driven to the middle of the desert and left there...

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lunapark

http://www.worldoffive.com/
    no five, and florence is gonna be just finishing up in the states, fat chance she will play ucd, check her tour dates

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

heard from a very viable source (not ents btw) that John and Edward might be in doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

Any word on how ticket sales are going? The first 1000 sold out so quickly I woulda expected the remaining 7000 to have gone sometime in the last month, cant be too many left? I keep pushing some of my friends to get tickets but they kept procrastinating and claiming "it wont sell out for aaaages".

plus, i thought they were supposed to be announcing acts over the midterm break!!! 3 weeks and a bit to go, have a feeling it might actually be ****:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I'd say as soon as the rest of the lineup is announced, sales will pick up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Blut2 wrote: »
    I keep pushing some of my friends to get tickets but they kept procrastinating and claiming "it wont sell out for aaaages".

It almost certainly won't. I wouldn't expect much over 6.5k tickets to be sold, if that, especially at the current prices - I really think they've oversold themselves this time.

Calvin Harris as the ''main'' act is a bit of a joke, especially for something of this size. I've heard Flavour Flav is playing, and I'd say Messiah J and the Expert are a cert. Is Lektroluv playing the Trinners ball? If not then he'll probably be here as he's the cheapest 'brand name'' electro act about. Mix with the 02 headphone ****e, unhelpful security and pad out with a mix and match of the mediocrities of the Irish music scene, i.e.

The Republic of Loose, Director, The Coronas, The Stone Roses Experience, Aslan, The Saw Doctors, Paddy Casey, Blue Moose, The Blizzards, The Wolftones, Kila

Plus whoever else is cheap and MCD want to promote.,

On another note, hundreds of people leaving UCD for town every 10 mins or so from about 6pm? Dublin Bus will probably end up pulling up the bus stop at the bridge. If it starts raining during the day the place is going to resemble Basra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    Calvin Harris as the ''main'' act is a bit of a joke, especially for something of this size.

I heard Calvin Harris is the main act for the dance stage, which is half the capacity of the main stage so you can expect a bigger act for there.

• Advertisement

Calvin Harris is playing a DJ set so hes deffo just the dance stage, presumably the main stage will get a bigger act...fingers crossed.

they have a rollercoaster now!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭deco1610

Why are UCD Ents holding out on us? Less than 3 weeks until the ball and we still don't know half the names... (Unless Jedward are playing a 3-hour set)

deco1610 wrote: »
    Why are UCD Ents holding out on us? Less than 3 weeks until the ball and we still don't know half the names... (Unless Jedward are playing a 3-hour set)
    Yeah it is a bit of a joke alright. They said they were gonna announce the rest of the acts after the spring break but it's really dragging on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

deco1610 wrote: »

You havent lived until you've heard the 27 minute extended prog jam of Ice Ice Baby tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Any chance that a 'headliner' pulled out or that they were in negotiations when they said they had some major acts planned?

When they still havnt announced a headliner 3 weeks in advance Id say the only possible reason is that the original headliner they had organized dropped out. Or that they never actually had one and are now scrambling last minute to sort it out. Bit of a joke to be honest, theyre never going to sell it out until they announce the main headline act.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Blut2 wrote: »
    When they still havnt announced a headliner 3 weeks in advance Id say the only possible reason is that the original headliner they had organized dropped out. Or that they never actually had one and are now scrambling last minute to sort it out. Bit of a joke to be honest, theyre never going to sell it out until they announce the main headline act.

Its gotten to the point where a few of my friends are trying to sell their tickets.

I mean, its Jedward and Calvin Harris, come on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

UCD ents basically winged it and hoped people would just buy tickets for it and it would sell-out without having to announce a major act. Either way I'd still say people they have made a killing on the €€€€.

UCD ents basically winged it and hoped people would just buy tickets for it and it would sell-out without having to announce a major act. Either way I'd still say people they have made a killing on the €€€€.

Not being a 'told you so' but I've been banging on about this from the beginning - go a page back and you'll see
    jimi_t2 wrote: »
    ...I wouldn't expect much over 6.5k tickets to be sold, if that, especially at the current prices - I really think they've oversold themselves this time.

I've an idea of how many tickets sold and its not looking great but I'd be fairly certain of it going ahead regardless; what with the funfair booked and the fact that Ents would be in five figure debt going into the new semester.

That said, UCC cancelled a similar event this year because of appropriate headliners not materialising and ticket sales not justifying it going ahead. They'll probably need someone of Beach House/Mumford and Sons standard at this stage, but will probably end up having to throw on whatever formerly famous boy-band are whoring themselves out because of back taxes.
    Calvin Harris as the ''main'' act is a bit of a joke, especially for something of this size. I've heard Flavour Flav is playing, and I'd say Messiah J and the Expert are a cert. Is Lektroluv playing the Trinners ball? If not then he'll probably be here as he's the cheapest 'brand name'' electro act about. Mix with the 02 headphone ****e, unhelpful security and pad out with a mix and match of the mediocrities of the Irish music scene, i.e.

The Republic of Loose, Director, The Coronas, The Stone Roses Experience, Aslan, The Saw Doctors, Paddy Casey, Blue Moose, The Blizzards, The Wolftones, Kila

Plus whoever else is cheap and MCD want to promote.

I'd say Booka Shade are probably well up there. Crookers/Boys Noize/Girl Talk/Major Lazer would be the obvious choices but I think they're all booked - someone like Deadmau5 would probably be too expensive.

(99% guaranteed to be bull****, but I overheard someone just there saying that Cheryl Cole was being plugged)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jahmn

I was talking to one of the ents lads, Jonny Cosgrove, He was saying that the saturdays are playing along with mstrkrft. Then some more of the usual suspects like japanese popstars etc...

Would love to see bukka shade back but it wont happen i hear. Lektroluv alredy played so he wont be in the line-up!!!

Also i hear they are planning put upa ferris wheel and have carnival at it!

jahmn wrote: »
    I was talking to one of the ents lads, Jonny Cosgrove, He was saying that the saturdays are playing along with mstrkrft. Then some more of the usual suspects like japanese popstars etc...

Would love to see bukka shade back but it wont happen i hear. Lektroluv alredy played so he wont be in the line-up!!!

Hopefully that'll make up for the seemingly sh*te acts! That and the beer/wine in capri-sun cartons

Then some more of the usual suspects like japanese popstars etc...

Announced already. First page of this thread
    Lektroluv alredy played so he wont be in the line-up!!!

Because he played somewhere this year? I know he played the Academy and whatever the hell that place up in Blakes corner is called now, BURN or something, LAST year

Announced already in the college papers.

I doubt MSTRKRFT will play considering they're not touring at the moment and JFK (one half on MSTRKRFT) is involved with his side project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

jahmn wrote: »

mmm...nows my chance to get Frankie Sandford and Una Healy :D:D Can win them over by bringing them for a lasagne in Elements. Wonder if they know what the "payment" is for a cigarette behind the student bar :p

The lineup is still a list of nobodies. Given some of the singers/bands that play in smaller venues around Dublin fairly regularly, this is such a poor showing. It is almost as if it is being organised by a bunch of unqualified Van Wilder wannabees who really should have finished their degrees by now. Oh wait....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

The lineup is still a list of nobodies. Given some of the singers/bands that play in smaller venues around Dublin fairly regularly, this is such a poor showing. It is almost as if it is being organised by a bunch of unqualified Van Wilder wannabees who really should have finished their degrees by now. Oh wait....

Singers and bands that play around Dublin might get a chance to play this if the ents officer would actually take sometime out and reply to some emails these bands actually send. I manage one of these smaller Dublin bands who are doing ok for themselves and have emailed the ents officer about 3 or 4 times and heard nothing back. Alot of people have said the same. I know they might be busy with college work but if you cant do the job then dont take it on! Just my 2 cents worth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Singers and bands that play around Dublin might get a chance to play this if the ents officer would actually take sometime out and reply to some emails these bands actually send. I manage one of these smaller Dublin bands who are doing ok for themselves and have emailed the ents officer about 3 or 4 times and heard nothing back. Alot of people have said the same. I know they might be busy with college work but if you cant do the job then dont take it on! Just my 2 cents worth

My thoughts exactly. That is the worst part of this, there are acts around who would play the event. Some of the smaller venues in Dublin have decent acts on pretty regularly, it shouldn't be rocket science to arrange really. Even acts that play The Olympia shouldn't be out of range. As you say, if they can't do the job, why did they take it on to begin with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Like the guys i manage have supported everyone from Duke Special to The Delerentos to The Coronas and just about every other band in the country, they have just been signed to one of the biggest booking agents in the country,they have toured the country afew times and are playlisted on every national radio station and i even offered the band for free, as its a student show, but still no reply!

How do you even become the ents officer? Is it how cool your hair is or what topman clothes you wear or what cos whoever it is aint got the best taste in music and is not a great business man if you cant get hold of him! When i was at college i was in a band,managing another band,working as a booker for 3 bars in Dublin and running my own weekly nightclub and yet i could find time to email back any band that took time out to contact me.

Its a shame as the UCD ball is meant to be a great show and a great night for all the students but from what i have gathered from the previous posts this year is gonna be a let down for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

He hasn't got any college work its a full time job..Now thats bad.

• Advertisement

Its a shame as the UCD ball is meant to be a great show and a great night for all the students but from what i have gathered from the previous posts this year is gonna be a let down for everyone.

You're spot on. Last year's was just an incredible day, but we've all been seriously let down by ents this year. I mean, Jedward?? Crystal Swing?? The Saturdays?!? Its a far cry from having Iglu & Hartley there last year.
    Its such a let down. Hopefully (and its a small hope), ents have just been holding out on us for some reason, and actually have some amazing, unannounced act lined up. They better announce it soon though, or people will have sold all their tickets

Advertisement