Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Ball Acts so far...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

I doubt people will actually sell their ball tickets. I remember last year loads of people thought that there was no need to go to the ball, that itd be grand drinking elsewhere on campus like in previous years but that didnt materialise at all. Services and the gardai were cracking down fairly heavily on public drinking and the student bar was dead - all the craic was at the ball even with the lashing rain. I'm sure even if its only 6500 tickets sold itll still be the best/only place to be on campus on the day, to be honest.

Though I do agree how extremely dodgy/annoying/disapointing it is still having no headline act announced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

deco1610 wrote: »
    You're spot on. Last year's was just an incredible day, but we've all been seriously let down by ents this year. I mean, Jedward?? Crystal Swing?? The Saturdays?!? Its a far cry from having Iglu & Hartley there last year.
    Its such a let down. Hopefully (and its a small hope), ents have just been holding out on us for some reason, and actually have some amazing, unannounced act lined up. They better announce it soon though, or people will have sold all their tickets

Who in hell are Iglu & Hartley?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

jahmn wrote: »
    Would love to see bukka shade back but it wont happen i hear.

Seen Booka Shade about 6 times in the last 4 years or so and they've really been going from weakness to weakness tbh...

As an aside, and to inject a bit of optimism into a pessimistic thread, its not all bad; Mixhell will tear the ****ing place apart if nothing else, and I'm delighted with them as a 'live percussion + dj' alternative to booka shade.

They've lot of collaborations with the 'big' names like Soulwax / Crookers, this tune for example

Who in hell are Iglu & Hartley?!

Generic one hit wonder nonsense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUF-IlF1UW0
    'm sure even if its only 6500 tickets sold itll still be the best/only place to be on campus on the day, to be honest.

Yeah, because with the logistics of 5k+ people on campus they'll lock down anything else - nothing is allowed to compete with it on the day. The UCD ball was basically started as a way of ensuring that Black Friday never happens again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

He hasn't got any college work its a full time job..Now thats bad.

I thought the ents officer was a student there but if thats his full time job im shocked! The best thing would be for no one to turn up at it in almost a protest to the muck that they are making you listen too,either that or organise an anti ball gig kinda thing. Hire a venue for a day and charge enough to cover costs and just get bands/acts in. You can get irish bands no problem to play cos the student market is where its at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

jimi_t2 wrote: »

Yeah, because with the logistics of 5k+ people on campus they'll lock down anything else - nothing is allowed to compete with it on the day. The UCD ball was basically started as a way of ensuring that Black Friday never happens again...

Yeah, in fairness after the anarchy of last day of term '07 the authorities were always going to clamp down in future though. At least with the UCD ball fun is only semi-restricted and not banned outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Absolutely horrendous that they haven't announced the line up. Pathetic show from UCD Ents, disgusting. All they seem to be doing is holding their balls and tits. They'd want to get their acts together.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Waterloo Sunset

http://www.universityobserver.ie/2010/04/10/the-saturdays-to-headline-ucd-ball/

Saturdays are confirmed... kinda glad I don't have a ticket now!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Siog-Alainn

Text going around saying the final line up is as follows

The Saturdays, Calvin Harris, Iglu and Hartley, Mundy, Vengaboys (TBC), The Subs, Picture House, Jedward, Hogan, Fox Avenue, Hystereo, Mixhell, Japanese Popstars, DJ Frank Jez and Tandoo, iRate Soundsystem, Bluemoose

and "a few more"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Waterloo Sunset

It's actually terrible. I'd pay extra for a stronger lineup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Text going around saying the final line up is as follows

The Saturdays, Calvin Harris, Iglu and Hartley, Mundy, Vengaboys (TBC), The Subs, Picture House, Jedward, Hogan, Fox Avenue, Hystereo, Mixhell, Japanese Popstars, DJ Frank Jez and Tandoo, iRate Soundsystem, Bluemoose

and "a few more"
    Got the same text. Fairly crap line up, I'll be sticking to the dance stage for most of the day, though I was expecting one more bigish dance act to be announced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I thought the ents officer was a student there but if thats his full time job im shocked! The best thing would be for no one to turn up at it in almost a protest to the muck that they are making you listen too,either that or organise an anti ball gig kinda thing. Hire a venue for a day and charge enough to cover costs and just get bands/acts in. You can get irish bands no problem to play cos the student market is where its at

The Ents officer is a student but they take a one-year sabbatical from their course to do the job. Problem is that it usually the same group of cronies passing around the jobs between them. if you look around the UCD page here you will find plenty of complaints about the SU!

The Ents officer is a student but they take a one-year sabbatical from their course to do the job. Problem is that it usually the same group of cronies passing around the jobs between them. if you look around the UCD page here you will find plenty of complaints about the SU!

About 50% of the campus could name the incoming ents officer in January but they *do* have to get elected and get their own campaign team together etc... There's a reason the RON option is there. You can't actually ''pass'' the job on to your mate, and to suggest this does nothing towards addressing the very valid complaints a lot of people have about the SU.

Like the guys i manage have supported everyone from Duke Special to The Delerentos to The Coronas and just about every other band in the country, they have just been signed to one of the biggest booking agents in the country,they have toured the country afew times and are playlisted on every national radio station and i even offered the band for free, as its a student show, but still no reply!

1. You're not a booking agent, established or otherwise.
    2. The likes of the bands that your lads support barely make the cut playing in the student bar (bar Duke Special)
    3. ''Playlisted'' on every national radio station :rolleyes: Unless it's BBC R1 with the 'a', 'b' and 'c' lists then this is a fairly vacuous statement.
    4. ''even'' offering the band free *cough*
    How do you even become the ents officer? Is it how cool your hair is or what topman clothes you wear or what

A democratic election by the student body. To take the last four, Stephen, Gary, Mike Pat and Jonny would all have had superb CVs and tonnes of experience in terms of running student nights and events in various nightclubs. All would have been heavily involved in the previous years ents team, bar Jonny all of them were fairly succesfull commercial DJs and most would have been ents officer of a smaller college society prior to their appointment.
    cos whoever it is aint got the best taste in music

The gigs put on by UCD Ents are rarely representative of the musical tastes or preferences of the Ents Officer. They're designed to appeal to the broadest possible range of tastes. But sorry, I'm interrupting your faceitiousness.
    ...and yet i could find time to email back any band that took time out to contact me.

Thats because you were a bloody venue booker and that was your job. The remit of Ents is to facilitate the licencing, promoting, administration and running of a number of events across campus. This doesn't just include music, and does not include replying to every tom, dick and harry who spams the account trying to promote their band. How many eMails similar to yours do you think they get a week?

As an aside, A lot of people are under the hilarious misapprehension about the Ents officer being able to 'pick' a lot of the bands that come to UCD. The DJs we're able to poach because they usually play somewhere in town the day after and the promoters are usually either ex-alumni or know people in UCD - 'famous' bands, less so.

You CANNOT book certain bands that are attached to venues or promoters - Dublin is a tiny scene to be stepping on peoples toes, especially if you're planning to get into the business from a non-student perspective. The biggies will have exclusivity contracts (if we weren't aligned with MCD we'd be lucky to get Dickie f*cking Rock to play the ball - they throw us the odd bone and we accept it with grace, its how its always been) and the smaller promoters would be looking for 10% of the door.

deco1610 wrote: »
    You're spot on. Last year's was just an incredible day, but we've all been seriously let down by ents this year. I mean, Jedward?? Crystal Swing?? The Saturdays?!? Its a far cry from having Iglu & Hartley there last year.

Iglu & Hartley ARE there this year, but they're barely mentioned because they're one hit wonders and would do nothing to pull a crowd. The Saturdays would be a far bigger, succesfull and more populist band. The reason you see no advocates for them is because boards.ie is pretty devoid of women.
    They better announce it soon though, or people will have sold all their tickets

No one who has a ticket will sell it because of the same condition that has coppers filled every weekend - ''all-my-mates-itis''.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Siog-Alainn

No one who has a ticket will sell it because of the same condition that has coppers filled every weekend - ''all-my-mates-itis''.

I'm planning on selling my ticket, even though all my mates are still going. I could be an exception though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Fair play jimi_t2 on bringing some resemblance of sanity to this thread. It was probably a bit of bad form for ents to make people wait this long before announcing the line up but then again I'm sure the same people who complained about the delay in announcing would also be moaning if an announcement on an act was made when they weren’t confirmed only to later pull out.

I dont know how peoples expectations got so high about the ball but it seems like people are overstretching if they say that lineup is "terrible". Its probably on par with the Trinity Ball which you'd be paying well over double the ticket price (before tux/dress) for an event that’s shorter and whose profits on the gate and bar go to MCD rather than being funneled back into events for next year which is the case with the more recent UCD balls.

The fact that the UCD ball has grown to the size it has, were it can even compete with the Trinity Ball, is quite impressive. Back a few years ago at the first ball (Anto Kellys year), when the ball was run in conjunction with MCD, the headline act was bell x1 and they couldnt even give away tickets. Then Holly followed that up by not even pulling a ball together (though the event in the pit on black friday did turn out to be alright). Steve managed to return the ball with the headliners being East 17, Coronas, Blizzards. Last year headliners were Bookashade/Iglu & Hartly/S club. If you look back on past line ups you really have no right to be complaining about what has been put together. People really need to get a handle of their expectations; we're not talking about Oxegen or EP. Its a college ball & for the price of the tickets I really dont think you're being hard done by.

Singers and bands that play around Dublin might get a chance to play this if the ents officer would actually take sometime out and reply to some emails these bands actually send. I manage one of these smaller Dublin bands who are doing ok for themselves and have emailed the ents officer about 3 or 4 times and heard nothing back. Alot of people have said the same. I know they might be busy with college work but if you cant do the job then dont take it on! Just my 2 cents worth

Pretty sure like previous years there'd probably be a battle of the bands competition for bands with a link to UCD to win a chance to perform at the ball. From what you've said thus far about your band this would be the only chance to get anywhere near the Ball this year (or any year) even with the so called "muck" that are playing.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Pretty sure like previous years there'd probably be a battle of the bands competition for bands with a link to UCD to win a chance to perform at the ball. From what you've said thus far about your band this would be the only chance to get anywhere near the Ball this year (or any year) even with the so called "muck" that are playing.

Well like i said,the ents officer doesnt seem to get back to alot of people to enter this battle of the bands. Even if he doesnt like any band i think the fact that he doesnt email them back is not a very good way of doing business if ya know what i mean

1. You're not a booking agent, established or otherwise.
    2. The likes of the bands that your lads support barely make the cut playing in the student bar (bar Duke Special)
    3. ''Playlisted'' on every national radio station :rolleyes: Unless it's BBC R1 with the 'a', 'b' and 'c' lists then this is a fairly vacuous statement.
    4. ''even'' offering the band free *cough*

A democratic election by the student body. To take the last four, Stephen, Gary, Mike Pat and Jonny would all have had superb CVs and tonnes of experience in terms of running student nights and events in various nightclubs. All would have been heavily involved in the previous years ents team, bar Jonny all of them were fairly succesfull commercial DJs and most would have been ents officer of a smaller college society prior to their appointment.

The gigs put on by UCD Ents are rarely representative of the musical tastes or preferences of the Ents Officer. They're designed to appeal to the broadest possible range of tastes. But sorry, I'm interrupting your faceitiousness.

Thats because you were a bloody venue booker and that was your job. The remit of Ents is to facilitate the licencing, promoting, administration and running of a number of events across campus. This doesn't just include music, and does not include replying to every tom, dick and harry who spams the account trying to promote their band. How many eMails similar to yours do you think they get a week?

As an aside, A lot of people are under the hilarious misapprehension about the Ents officer being able to 'pick' a lot of the bands that come to UCD. The DJs we're able to poach because they usually play somewhere in town the day after and the promoters are usually either ex-alumni or know people in UCD - 'famous' bands, less so.

You CANNOT book certain bands that are attached to venues or promoters - Dublin is a tiny scene to be stepping on peoples toes, especially if you're planning to get into the business from a non-student perspective. The biggies will have exclusivity contracts (if we weren't aligned with MCD we'd be lucky to get Dickie f*cking Rock to play the ball - they throw us the odd bone and we accept it with grace, its how its always been) and the smaller promoters would be looking for 10% of the door.

Wow Jimi chill out.

First of all

(1) No im not a booking agent but i have alot of experience in this field and am well known to most of the bookers in the country and some in England

(2) Ok the bands my guys have supported might not make the "cut" in your eyes but whatever your into is probably not everyones cup of tea as to who "makes the cut"

(3) The BBC radio 1 station is very tough to get into unless your Jedward or have a big company behind you.

(4) oh you seem to have a cough there,do you not think the student market is a good way to get attention for bands?????

OK,your last 4 ents officers might have had alot of experience but it doesnt seem that this years ents officer had much experience in events management but i dunno what the rest of your year was like.

As to being "bloody venue booker and that was your job" well i wasnt the head venue booker i ran student nights every week and i didnt get paid from the bars. If the nights went well i would get a the door after the venue,bands and expenses were paid for and sometimes when a night didnt go well i was the one who was out of pocket.

"How many eMails similar to yours do you think they get a week"
    If he gets 100 emails a week reguarding the college he should still check them out as this is his job.

Hope your cough gets better and you enjoy Jedward :rolleyes: ahem.... oh,that cough is contagious!

• Advertisement

Well like i said,the ents officer doesnt seem to get back to alot of people to enter this battle of the bands. Even if he doesnt like any band i think the fact that he doesnt email them back is not a very good way of doing business if ya know what i mean

He doesn't because its an event designed for UCD students. One of the rules is that a member of the band has to be a current student. But of course, being the manager and doing your research you'd know this. Oh wait...
    I thought the ents officer was a student there but if thats his full time job im shocked!

Seriously, the band you represent (Saccade) have never played an 8k person gig. Or a 4k person gig. Or even a 2k person gig. In fact, the best thing they've done is get to the final of (and lose) a TG4 talent show They've only one 'band' stage at the festival. I'm not having a go here, but lets be realistic.

Fair point. He should at least send out a generic email to every band that emails in saying that theres no space at the minute or something along those lines. I know all acts have to start out somewhere but your band supports acts who are smaller (in both a crowd pull & sales) than the majority of the acts on that line up. You might have a personal gripe against the Ents officer but in my eyes calling internationally recognised acts "muck" is no way to do business either, especially for someone trying to get further in the industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 blueharvest

"(2) Ok the bands my guys have supported might not make the "cut" in your eyes but whatever your into is probably not everyones cup of tea as to who "makes the cut""

Who are "Your Band", post us a link and let us decide. I have spoken to the Ents Officer a few times this year, and I think he knows what the students want.

"OK,your last 4 ents officers might have had alot of experience but it doesnt seem that this years ents officer had much experience in events management but i dunno what the rest of your year was like"

The Ents Officer brought in loads of top acts this year and had the likes of Deadmau5, Boyz Noize, Fat Man Scoop and Tynchy Stryder play. He has been involved with ENTS for the past 4 years and knows how the system works.

To be honest, I don't think you are a UCD Student, or someone who knows what the majority of students want. If you are so confident that your band are as good as you say, post a link and we can see if they are any good

Thanks for naming the band there Jimi but stop with the stalking :) haha

Ok well if thats all that the guys have done in your eyes well thats all well and good. For the rest of the people if your interested the guys Live session on the Dan Hegarty show is on tomorrow night,the Imro show case finals is coming up soon and the finals of the JD set is at the end of the month

Ps Jimi,the deis roc thing was about how many of your friends could text in. We found this out after we were asked to do it so its more about "buying" the competion. But the band that won it were cool and deserved it.

Foxtrol,i dont have a gripe against the ents people,i dont even know them but i do think that a generic email should have been in place or at least have a seperate email address that was especially for the ball.

Blueharvest - I dont doubt that he knows the system but all im saying is that there are a number of people who i know who goes to the college and have tried to get bands in to play at lunchtime or something and have heard nothing back. There should be a at least an automatic reply saying they will get back to you or something. Thats it

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jen-

He doesn't because its an event designed for UCD students. One of the rules is that a member of the band has to be a current student. But of course, being the manager and doing your research you'd know this. Oh wait...

Seriously, the band you represent (Saccade) have never played an 8k person gig. Or a 4k person gig. Or even a 2k person gig. In fact, the best thing they've done is get to the final of (and lose) a TG4 talent show They've only one 'band' stage at the festival. I'm not having a go here, but lets be realistic.

Jesus, seems to me that someone really wants to see Jedward and is keeping his Ents Buddy sweet for free tickets and a chance to get a photo for the mantlepiece

jen- wrote: »
    Jesus, seems to me that someone really wants to see Jedward and is keeping his Ents Buddy sweet for free tickets and a chance to get a photo for the mantlepiece

Possibly or he is more realistic than to believe the UCD Ball is going to have Coldplay/U2/Green Day/Daft Punk/Beyonce performing or maybe he was responding to a poster that has admitted to having an issue with the Ents Officer and is clearly not objective.
    Foxtrol,i dont have a gripe against the ents people,i dont even know them but i do think that a generic email should have been in place or at least have a seperate email address that was especially for the ball.

You clearly do have an issue with him & I agree that you have a valid complaint in regards to not getting a response. I just don't think that its letting you look at the line up objectively. The acts booked might not be your cup of tea but it doesn't give you the right to call internationally recognised acts muck as much as it would give any other poster the right to say the same thing about your band.

Everyone has their own taste and taking into account resources/ticket price/prestige of the event/no co promotion (MCD/POD etc)/prior year acts/line up of the Trinity Ball the acts booked are quite decent with something in it for nearly everybody. That being said the line up really is secondary to drinking with your mates on the last day of the college year before everyone focuses down on exams & heads off for the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

I have spoken to the Ents Officer a few times this year, and I think he knows what the students want.

Fat Man Scoop and Tynchy Stryder play.

Given that Tinchy Stryder pulled out of the Freshers ball he's hardly an example of the stellar acts Mike Pat's been able to pull.
    Also, only about 50 people showed up for Fatman Scoop; yep, he sure knows what the students want. :p

Foxtrol wrote: »
    You clearly do have an issue with him & I agree that you have a valid complaint in regards to not getting a response. I just don't think that its letting you look at the line up objectively. The acts booked might not be your cup of tea but it doesn't give you the right to call internationally recognised acts muck as much as it would give any other poster the right to say the same thing about your band.

Everyone has their own taste and taking into account resources/ticket price/prestige of the event/no co promotion (MCD/POD etc)/prior year acts/line up of the Trinity Ball the acts booked are quite decent with something in it for nearly everybody. That being said the line up really is secondary to drinking with your mates on the last day of the college year before everyone focuses down on exams & heads off for the summer.

I really dont have an issue with the ents officer,all the power too him but all this came from a post where someone said why do they not get some irish bands in too and i replied how the ents officer doesnt seem to reply to emails.

I thought MCD had a hand in the ball,someone told me that but maybe they were wrong. The line up is secondary to all and as you said getting twatted with your mates and letting your hair down before exams is the main thing. I hope you all have some of this good weather for it.

Enjoy yourselves

Thanks for naming the band there Jimi but stop with the stalking :) haha

It's called research. Rather than making sweeping statements and getting things wrong, I take about five minutes to google and make sure I'm aware of all the facts.
    Ok well if thats all that the guys have done in your eyes well thats all well and good.

Well in terms of exposure getting on TG4 *definitely* is. Finalists in the BOTB in Whelans and Dan Hegarty really don't do a whole lot - I mean fair play and all - it's national tv exposure; hence why I mentioned it - but its not going to rock the world.
    I really dont have an issue with the ents officer,all the power too him but all this came from a post where someone said why do they not get some irish bands in too and i replied how the ents officer doesnt seem to reply to emails.

Sorry, you're doing a bit of revisionism here. You implied that he couldn't do his job (even though you didn't even know that it was a sabatical position)
    Alot of people have said the same. I know they might be busy with college work but if you cant do the job then dont take it on! Just my 2 cents worth

Then you attacked the role of Ents officer and how they were picked - expanding as to how you were far more professional, even back when you were 'that age'
    How do you even become the ents officer? Is it how cool your hair is or what topman clothes you wear or what cos whoever it is aint got the best taste in music and is not a great business man if you cant get hold of him! When i was at college i was in a band,managing another band,working as a booker for 3 bars in Dublin and running my own weekly nightclub and yet i could find time to email back any band that took time out to contact me.

and then you thouroughly undermine the UCD event (you and your band having no connection to UCD currently), suggesting we boycott it or organise an 'alternative anti-ball'.
    The best thing would be for no one to turn up at it in almost a protest to the muck that they are making you listen too,either that or organise an anti ball gig kinda thing. Hire a venue for a day and charge enough to cover costs and just get bands/acts in. You can get irish bands no problem to play cos the student market is where its at

I was just waiting for you to jump in and offer to either supply your band at a discount or offer to run such an event.

You've nothing to do with UCD, neither does your band - you're just here to give out that the Ents officer didn't eMail you back. A LOT of the SU read this forum, as well as staff and the sabbatical officers. You can be fairly sure they won't look admirably on this when considering future bookings.

(As an aside, Ents does a fair bit of business with your booking agent - two bands have already been booked through him and have played this year. Why wasn't he plugging you?)

• Advertisement

-jen wrote:

Not going, and have been offered free tickets on at least two occassions and refused them. If you'd bothered to read any of the thread up to this page, you'd notice I was one of the most vocal people regarding the poor line up and how they wouldn't sell tickets. But then again, you're clearly a troll.

As to all the complaints about Jedward - how many people turned out to see them running around UCD? These feckers have the biggest national tour this country has seen in about 3 years and they've a four night run in Vicar St. sold out as well as sold out nights in the INEC, Helix etc... They've been the tabloid mainstay for the year and are our most recognisable B-List ''celebrities''.

Asides from the fact that I suspect them to be the result of a botched IVF treatment involving Hitler and Louis Walsh, I really couldn't fault them as a booking and plenty of people in UCD (Deaf and otherwise) are very excited about seeing them.

Advertisement