Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Ball Acts so far...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Full line-up is out. Iglu and Hartly, The Venga Boys return...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Ents wrote:
    The Saturdays,Calvin Harris (DJ set),Iglu & Harlty,The Subs (live),Venga Boys,The Japanese Popstars, Jedward,Mixhell (live),Hystereo (live), Hogan,iRate Soundsystem, Fox Avenue, Bluemoose,Headphone Disco, DJ Frank Jez, Tandoo

I have a vague interest in seeing Mixhell and The Japanese Popstars. Aside from that, meh.

Admittedly Bluemoose, if they are who I think they are, are a lot of fun.

Might not bother going tbh......

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

I don't think it should be a day for musical snobbery. Get pissed with your mates and enjoy the day, and garanteed if you do this when the Vengaboys reach the stage you'll be singing along to their cheesy music with the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Offside wrote: »
    I don't think it should be a day for musical snobbery. Get pissed with your mates and enjoy the day, and garanteed if you do this when the Vengaboys reach the stage you'll be singing along to their cheesy music with the rest of us.

Close to exams/Quite a few of my friends have completely bailed out of going/meh.

Just not excited at all :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 s05bf112

Jimi? Been offered free tickets on TWO occasions, and still refused?!
    Here, ladies and gentlemen, is a man of morals and integrity. And as for reading all your post carefully since the start of the thread. FMF-ingL. I really hope you gots something better to do with your time, Jen. I only came on to see if anyone had heard rumours about the 'other' acts. If that makes me a troll too, come see in my office, under the east link.

Anybody seen a copy of the manifesto of the current ents officer, to compare and contrast the acts he suggested would be playing the UCD Ball during his term to the ones that are now confirmed? Jus' sayin'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

The Saturdays are sex cats. I will be inside them the night of the UCD ball! Great act!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 s05bf112

Ah, it'll be a good day though, with or without the weather. I don't see the need to hype it so much is all. Give us an open space with a bar and a DJ, and we'll be happy. The 35 squid is what most people are flippin the lid about, methinks, gives the illusion that this is something more than a piss up in a field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

jimi_t2 wrote:
    They're designed to appeal to the broadest possible range of tastes. But sorry, I'm interrupting your faceitiousness.

Hold on a minute are you having a laugh? The majority of the ents posters I see advertised around UCD are for electro acts. If there's anything ents do right, its only appealing to one or two ranges of musical tastes. This is what the ents officer is criticized for every year, and every year they promise to do something about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Notorious wrote: »
    Hold on a minute are you having a laugh? The majority of the ents posters I see advertised around UCD are for electro acts. If there's anything ents do right, its only appealing to one or two ranges of musical tastes. This is what the ents officer is criticized for every year, and every year they promise to do something about it.

I really can't see how people don't get this.

International DJ - Cost = Four to Eight thousand. Will always sell out and never leave Ents in the red. Rarely Cancels. Top, brandname DJs are usually WILLING to play a University.

Inernational Band - Cost = 10 - 25 thousand+ . Won't always sell out and runs the risk of Ents losing money on the gig. Subject to flight and gear problems.

As for appealing to a broad range of tastes, they've three UK Top 10 Chart stalwarts of 2009/10 (Saturdays, Jedward, Calvin Harris) with a smattering of DJs and other charting novelty acts like Venga Boys (Two UK number ones, 3 US Top 40).

As a friend said to me today when I expressed dismay at the line up - ''What are you on about; this is UCD. Look around [near Quinn]; every silly bint in the place will be delighted and the lads are going to go anyway'
    ' wrote:
    Jimi? Been offered free tickets on TWO occasions, and still refused?!Here, ladies and gentlemen, is a man of morals and integrity.

Well it was more like ''give these to someone who'll actually appreciate them''. You could offer me tickets ten times to see Jedward and I'd still tell you which orifice to stick them in.
    And as for reading all your post carefully since the start of the thread. FMF-ingL. I really hope you gots something better to do with your time, Jen.

Yeah why would you. Just stick your fingers in your ears and roar out your opinion and we'll all listen...
    Anybody seen a copy of the manifesto of the current ents officer, to compare and contrast the acts he suggested would be playing the UCD Ball during his term to the ones that are now confirmed? Jus' sayin'.

Beauty of the web means all that **** is kept up. The page in question is here, I've highlighted some of the biggest disparities

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=55009435027&index=1
    Bring back the UCD Fashion Show
    €2 Drinks Nights in The Student Bar
    Bring A Proper Rag Week To UCD
    A Bigger Better UCD Ball Feat Acts Like Lady Gaga, MGMT, Vampire Weekend, Justice, Snow Patrol
    Organise an Anti Fees Concert with Outspoken anti fee musicians such as Gary Lightbody and Christie Moore

That said, nothing here that none of the previous Ents officers have(n't) promised to do and failed. Not to mention any Irish politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

I think the biggest gripe is that Ents were promising the last headliner would be bigger than Jedward and bigger than Calvin Harris. Fairly certain that Calvin Harris would probably have sold more albums/singles and had a better touring revenue than the Saturdays so its likely Ents were underprepaired and just scrambled for the next act they could find when someone pulled out.

That being said for 35 euro the line up isn't terrible and I was considering going for Jedward alone for the novelty factor and I still have great drunken memories of East 17 from 2 years ago. Plus I totally want to get on the Venga bus so I might go to this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Why does it say "DJ set" beside Calvin Harris' name? he's gonna be there right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Why does it say "DJ set" beside Calvin Harris' name? he's gonna be there right?

It means that he's going to be there as a DJ, not actually performing his own songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Hotaru wrote: »
    It means that he's going to be there as a DJ, not actually performing his own songs.

thank God for that.. he's the only reason i still have my ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

The Subs.

That is all.

Actually:

Is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭deco1610

mloc wrote: »
    The Subs.

That is all.

Suh-weeeet!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

picturehouse are playing? that's interesting; anyone know if they're reforming or are playing any other gigs?

deco1610 wrote: »
    Suh-weeeet!

Only MASSIVELY off-putting thing is the hordes of 18 year old idiots moshing and the like, generally behaving in a very uncool way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭deco1610

mloc wrote: »
    Only MASSIVELY off-putting thing is the hordes of 18 year old idiots moshing and the like, generally behaving in a very uncool way.

I don't know if that was directed at me, but I'm 21!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Still a nipper. :pac:

Nope at anyone is particular. Just a sad fact, when good dance gets played at mainstream events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

Happy enough with the lineup now. Calvin Harris for a bit of good music, the Vengaboys for a bit of cheese and The Saturdays to get plenty of hot freshers in to sleaze on! Perfecto. Prefer the lineup to the Trinity ball actually, especially considering its half the price.

Has anyone read the end of term arrangements from http://www.ucd.ie/building/news/traffic/traf103.htm in that email that got sent around? Looks like services'll be doing their best to completely lock UCD down. Surely not being able to have any guests over all day or bring alcohol home from a shop to enjoy in their apartment for the oncampus housing is some sort of violation of rights? Oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Blut2 wrote: »
    Happy enough with the lineup now. Calvin Harris for a bit of good music, the Vengaboys for a bit of cheese and The Saturdays to get plenty of hot freshers in to sleaze on! Perfecto. Prefer the lineup to the Trinity ball actually, especially considering its half the price.

Has anyone read the end of term arrangements from http://www.ucd.ie/building/news/traffic/traf103.htm in that email that got sent around? Looks like services'll be doing their best to completely lock UCD down. Surely not being able to have any guests over all day or bring alcohol home from a shop to enjoy in their apartment for the oncampus housing is some sort of violation of rights? Oh well.

Will 8,000 people fit on 1 pitch? The pitch beside Quinn. I want to be able to wander a bit, not squish my way around

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

Will 8,000 people fit on 1 pitch? The pitch beside Quinn. I want to be able to wander a bit, not squish my way around

3 Stages, A carnival and 8,000 people on that one pitch... I don't really see how it'll happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Offside wrote: »
    3 Stages, A carnival and 8,000 people on that one pitch... I don't really see how it'll happen!
    It's two pitches. From what I've heard the Dance Stage will be on the pitch to the right as if you were heading up to Merville, beside Quinn. The Main Stage will be on the pitch to the left, opposite the bus stops. Dunno where the carnival will be though.

EDIT: Just saw that map and it appears to be different, hmmm..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    International DJ - Cost = Four to Eight thousand. Will always sell out and never leave Ents in the red. Rarely Cancels. Top, brandname DJs are usually WILLING to play a University.

Inernational Band - Cost = 10 - 25 thousand+ . Won't always sell out and runs the risk of Ents losing money on the gig. Subject to flight and gear problems.

Fair point. But at the same time you think Ents could pull one or two 'rock/indie/alt' acts from across the water. Take the TCD ball line up (even though most of it wouldn't appeal to me) they bring Mystery Jets, Delorentos and Jap Pop Stars. Even though they're s****, you think Ents could grab an Irish band like Delorentos and still keep the ticket prices down.
    ''What are you on about; this is UCD. Look around [near Quinn]; every silly bint in the place will be delighted and the lads are going to go anyway'

QFT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Has anyone that bought a ticket online gotten a ticket yet posted to them? I havent received one and I thought that was how they were being issued

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Has anyone that bought a ticket online gotten a ticket yet posted to them? I havent received one and I thought that was how they were being issued

Im pretty sure you have to print them out. I bought one in an SU shop and it was a paper ticket with a barcode on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Dear Ticketholder,

Thank you for your recent ticket purchase. You will by now have received email confirmation from RBS Worldpay regarding your purchase of a UCD Ball early bird ticket. Those in receipt of this email are assured that they have secured their tickets for The UCD Ball, which takes place on the UCD Campus on Friday, 23rd April 2010.

Your tickets will be posted to your address, which was provided at time of purchase, no less than seven working days before the event. All tickets have a secure serial number and individual barcode that is matched to your purchase. If you do not receive your tickets by Friday 16th April, please report it to: ucdball@ucdents.com so we can cancel your ticket(s) and re-issue you with similar.

Regards,

UCD Ball Ticketing Department

I'm still waiting for mine. If they ain't in my post box come Monday afternoon it'll be one hell of a show in the SU.... :mad: I've also emailed them, twice, and got no reply. So frankly this entire thing is utter sh*te and someone should be shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Mine came as an attached pdf in an email. Wasn't aware of tickets being posted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Mine came as an attached pdf in an email. Wasn't aware of tickets being posted

I never got anything like that. As the email I got above says, I'd be posted them.

Advertisement