Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

are zetor a good brand

• 19-02-2010 2:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭

There were issues with zetor in the 1970's an 1980s in terms if rust and build quality but they were quite cheap relative to the competition

Are they good nowadays ? My father bought a new one last week, it looks smart, it cost in the region of 25k

He used to have a new holland which was fantastic in terms of reliability, he'll be selling it soon, its 10 years old

is zetor as good as new holland ?

Looking at the 2 tractors side by side today, i cant see any obvious differences in quality

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

Zetor have come a long way to be fair and the equivelent new holland nowadays would be a dam sight more expensive, for general farm work the new zetors are A1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭red_diesel

Which model did he buy as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭biblio

Which models of Zetor and New Holland are you comparing?

Quality of build,fit and finish on Zetors have dramatically improved in recent years but the paint finish on the wheels and chassis could be improved. I have noticed that the quality of finish on the various New Holland models seems to depend on which NH plant they were assembled at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MungoMan

The zetor is a 7441, (4 wheel drive)

The New holland is a slightly smaller beast, its a TL70 (2 wheel Drive). The New Holland was a fantastic tractor, its got 2500 hours, hope the zetor is as reliable.
    They are going to sell the New Holland, they are thinking its worth about 10k.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

My brother has a zetor 6045 4wd. There are only 3 good things about a zetor.
    1. It starts on a cold morning.
    2. The cab is big enough for a week's bbs wraps, a bag of meal and a buddy.
    3. It would make you appreciate a decent tractor.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

id know absolute nothing about zetors
    but from looking at threads on boards over time ive notice one thing.
    most people have good things to say about them but there is always a BUT at the end about one thing or the other.
    generally you get what you pay for. you can also pay to much for some thing;)

blue5000 wrote: »
    3. It would make you appreciate a decent tractor.

Seriously though, what's wrong with Zetor, what goes wrong with them ?

Do they fall apart, or do they have inefficient engines, what is the problem with them ?

Would we have been better off keeping the TL70 which is in absolutely perfect condition, and is totally fit for the light work we do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭iano93

MungoMan wrote: »
    The zetor is a 7441, (4 wheel drive)

The New holland is a slightly smaller beast, its a TL70 (2 wheel Drive). The New Holland was a fantastic tractor, its got 2500 hours, hope the zetor is as reliable.
    They are going to sell the New Holland, they are thinking its worth about 10k.
    We'v had zetors all our life, dad bought de exact same tractor as u did back in 08 and 2 b honest i cant say a word against it! Its a very solid reliable tractor! We traded in our 1989 zetor 5211 wen we got de new one! De 5211 was perfect hardley ever gave a days bother except the brakes wer a bit dodgy but it was a mighty tractor apart from dat. We had two older zetors b4 that aswel but dey wer b4 my time!;) Zetors mightened be fitted wit all de mod cons but apart from dat der very good and reliable! I must say dey have came a long way and the new proxima series are v nice!:D De adding of a power shuttle to the proxima range(proxima power) is definitly a welcome change! To go bk to wat Blue5000 said about de cabs, de cabs have came a long way and are a nice cab now. In the old ones u cud fit a family in it litterly now u can only fit one passanger! This was handy at times but didnt look de best and wen ur a yung fella lik me carrying ur hole family in the cab doesent sound very appealing so in de new ones u can just fit person!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

iano93 wrote: »
    We'v had zetors all our life, dad bought de exact same tractor as u did back in 08 and 2 b honest i cant say a word against it! Its a very solid reliable tractor! We traded in our 1989 zetor 5211 wen we got de new one! De 5211 was perfect hardley ever gave a days bother except the brakes wer a bit dodgy but it was a mighty tractor apart from dat. We had two older zetors b4 that aswel but dey wer b4 my time!;) Zetors mightened be fitted wit all de mod cons but apart from dat der very good and reliable! I must say dey have came a long way and the new proxima series are v nice!:D De adding of a power shuttle to the proxima range(proxima power) is definitly a welcome change! To go bk to wat Blue5000 said about de cabs, de cabs have came a long way and are a nice cab now. In the old ones u cud fit a family in it litterly now u can only fit one passanger! This was handy at times but didnt look de best and wen ur a yung fella lik me carrying ur hole family in the cab doesent sound very appealing so in de new ones u can just fit person!:)

good post , ali g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭maidhcII

Had a Zetor 6340 from 1995 until 2000. It was replaced with a New Holland TS.

No comparison between them. The 6340 had a great engine, and a nice gearbox, but was let down badly by the brakes and the handclutch for the PTO. Neither of these ever worked satisfactorily even though we bought the tractor new. The Zetor also lacked important things like 2 external services and trailer brakes. Also the build quality left a lot to be desired really.

The TS was a far more expensive machine (much bigger tractor too), but far superior in every respect.

I would be very slow to buy a Zetor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭germanicus

the new zetors going now are a great tractor. we have a 11441 and have over 3500 hours on it in 3 years with not one thing going wrong with it. it certainly show's its power aswell - shows up a lot of bigger tractors i haven't seen anything like it to pull for it's size in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rs8

ok for a part time farmer, wouldnt stand every day use with a contractor

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

there always about 20 years behind there competition. like the last zetor model didnt even come with trailer brakes as standard. you rarely see a zetor still going with 10000 plus hours on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭germanicus

rs8 wrote: »
    ok for a part time farmer, wouldnt stand every day use with a contractor

We have been contracting with them up until very recently for the last 25 years - always liked them. still do bits and pieces.

I'm going a bit off topic here, but Ive been googling stuff, and found out a bit more about certain technology in some Zetors.

Our new tractor does NOT have a clutchless forward-reverse shuttle

I know nothing much about tractor technology

Can anyone explain in simple english, whats a clutchless forward reverse shuttle, and why would someone want one ? Do most new tractors have this technology ?

Also whats a 3-step powershift transmission, with a 24/24, 4-speed, 2-range 3-step splitter ?

I dont think our new Zetor has this technology either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭John deere 6920

MungoMan wrote: »
    I'm going a bit off topic here, but Ive been googling stuff, and found out a bit more about certain technology in some Zetors.

Our new tractor does NOT have a clutchless forward-reverse shuttle

I know nothing much about tractor technology

Can anyone explain in simple english, whats a clutchless forward reverse shuttle, and why would someone want one ?
    well its a lhr=left hand reserver.. it on the steering column.. it changes direction by electrons.. and basically u dont need to press clutch.. it good for loader work... =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

a clutchless forward reverse shuttle means you dont need to press the clutch when you move the lever beside the steering from forward to reverse and vice versa.
    the 3 step transmission probally means there is a high medium and low setting for each gear range. the 24 24 is the number of forward and reverse gear speeds and the 4 speed means 1,2,3,4 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

there always about 20 years behind there competition. like the last zetor model didnt even come with trailer brakes as standard. you rarely see a zetor still going with 10000 plus hours on them.

Nonsense. There are many, many Zetors out there with serious hours on them. I know of one guy, former contractor who had a fleet of them. Kept them up into serious years. Now out of contracting, but still using 2 of the old birds. Engines last for ever. Ok, the technology, is a bit eastern block, but, brakes are not anything like you would want, etc, but in terms of ability to go on and on, they are as good as any. I find stopping the damn thing, is the toughest part :mad:
    But, I do agree, if you were buying today for serious hours / output per annum, Zetor wouldn't be top of the list. But for low use, part time guy, they are perferctly fine, and you do not need to leave too many euros standing idle in the shed 95% of its life.

BeeDI wrote: »
    Nonsense. There are many, many Zetors out there with serious hours on them. I know of one guy, former contractor who had a fleet of them. Kept them up into serious years. Now out of contracting, but still using 2 of the old birds. Engines last for ever. Ok, the technology, is a bit eastern block, but, brakes are not anything like you would want, etc, but in terms of ability to go on and on, they are as good as any. I find stopping the damn thing, is the toughest part :mad:
    But, I do agree, if you were buying today for serious hours / output per annum, Zetor wouldn't be top of the list. But for low use, part time guy, they are perferctly fine, and you do not need to leave too many euros standing idle in the shed 95% of its life.

By the way, if a tractor has clutchless shuttle, does this mean it has no conventional clutch, i.e. a man with no left leg could drive one ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

no still has a clutch, you still have to chnge gear, 1 2 3 4 etc while still in forward position in shuttle remember

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rs8

germanicus wrote: »
    We have been contracting with them up until very recently for the last 25 years - always liked them. still do bits and pieces.

well they always be one lad that has no probs with them, but i no two people one just does a bit of slurry and blow a turbo within 300 hours and another that keep losing power and didnt no why, we that them down the years and everything went wrong with them, recon the engine at 4000 hours which isnt very impressive, where green now and wouldnt dare to go back

very body around us (contracting) is either green or blue and im guessing thats for a reason??

Advertisement