Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Rock School!

Options
  • 19-02-2010 3:03am
    Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Just wondering what is required demo-wise & audition wise for the interview.

All info appreciated!.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭DanHendrix

Well demo wise i know you have to provide no more than two tracks..Whatever ever song you do at the audition they said dont put it on the demo..And put your best song as the first track on it to..They said you will be in and out within 15-20 mins for the interview/audition..Bring a CV also.. It is suppose to be hard to get into and going by the performances i seen at the open day there is a very high standard..They were mature students i think that performed...Wanted to ask a question meself..Is there mostly mature students in it or what any1 know???????????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

When i got into the rock school we were told that for every one of us that got in we beat 50 people that year. Its also meant to be the most requested course in the college to get into.

For the audition/interview just go in and enjoy it. Depending on the person you get for the audition you will be asked different thing,like i got Tommy, the bass teacher who also teaches ear training and time signatures and i had to tap out some various rhythms in various time signatures.

For the audition some people just jammed and improvised,i played guitar and sang a cover (i had originals on the CD i brought in) Even though i dont sing this showed them that i could kinda sing which would be good for the singing classes. Also any press packs from bands you have been in would be good to bring in with you.

Hope that post makes sense.... Its late and im slightly drunk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭DanHendrix

Thanks for that..The college dont give away much in telling you about the interview/audition.. Aswel as playing a song do they ask you to play anything else, like you mentioned rythms there.. Do they try to catch you out with anything..

DanHendrix wrote: »
    Thanks for that..The college dont give away much in telling you about the interview/audition.. Aswel as playing a song do they ask you to play anything else, like you mentioned rythms there.. Do they try to catch you out with anything..

Hey Dan

No they dont really try to catch you out with anything else,the rythms are pretty handy so its nothing to be worried about. Just go in with your stuff prepared,maybe if you are in a band and you have a press pack maybe bring that in too. Also bring in a CD that you play on. Apart from that i cant think of too much else. They are all really cool to deal with so its not really too bad of an audition. Just dont be nervous and BE IN TUNE!!!!!! Thats the one thing that wrecks their head. Also make sure the intonation on your guitar is spot on,they have "Musicians ears" so they can spot when a note is off

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Top stuff lads cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Husky1

I was accepted and attended mid to late 90's, during time in collage I found the level of experience / ability fairly high compared to what I was used to, now that I'm out and more music time under my belt, when I look back the experience / ability was not that high after all.

You do have to be at a certain level but not an exceptional level, just enough to be confidant and able to cope with your chosen instrument / voice or song writing. The idea behind collage is to learn so if you know it all already no point in going? So relax.

To me the key is what instrument you plan on working with, I'm sure things change all time but a guitar player might find it hard to enter due to more competition than a drummer or bass and like wise. A lot of bands form within the collage so I'm sure the guys in charge carefully select a number of each type of musician, no point in filling the course up with 30 guitar players.

All you can do is your best, spend a bit of time working out some impressive stuff for demo and practice to a point where it becomes easy then record for demo, keep things simple for live audition.

A simple 3 chord song played and sang perfect will come across far better than something more complicated full of bum notes.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

For the audition, do you have to sing a full song?

Have a full song ready but they with probably cut you off after a verse and a chorus but just keep going until they tell you to stop

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Thanks once again lads, what's the surrounding areas like ?. Is it rough at all ?. It's my brother who's trying to get in so wanted to find out what the place is like for him and the mother would be worried that it'd be rough!!. Parents eh!.

Advertisement