Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concert in Thomond Park

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Kings of Leon or Muse would be a major coup. Personally I have seen Muse live so Kings of Leon would do just fine! I've heard KOL are the best live act at the moment. From looking at the DVD they were outstanding in the 02 London last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,883 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Icky Thump wrote: »
    well a festival idea is basically a few medicocre bands.

it would have to be on a bank holiday weekend

here is a sample of what it could look like
    Saturday
    Franz Ferdinand
    Kasabian
    Zutons
    Saw Doctors
    and then 3 or 4 local bands

Sunday
    Stereophonics
    Aslan
    Delorentos
    Mundy
    and another 3 or 4 local bands

you would prob need 1 more big band or maybe a couple more medium sized bands

gates open at 12 noon on the sat and sun
    both nights the gig ends at 11pm
    tickets 80-90 quid

i think alort of people would pay that

if only 20,000 people went
    20,000 x 80 = €1,600,000

ow i dont know the procedure for getting a band to play. but for arguements sake lest say TP payed Elton John €1 million to play last year(i doubt it was anywhere near that). if Elton cost that much then im pretty sure the bands ive mentioned above would cost less than that IN TOTAL. plaus the fact the local bands wouldnt cost anything as they have a chance to promote themselves. you could also get possibly a local grabnt for potentially bringing alot of people to the city for a weekend of festivalling(if 20,000 people bought tickets i doubt all of them would be from limerick)

so we are looking at TP making €1,600,000 from ticket sales
    the local economy benifiting from 20,000 festival people(maybe 5-10k that would require hotels)
    the bands playing would have a chance to sell their merchandise at the gigs plus alot of bands love to play festivals anyway(the chillies offered to play glastonbury for free but where turned down:D. we wont get the chillies but im just proving bands love festivals)

instead of paying for 1 HUGE band that might draw 15-20 thousand why not pay the exact same for 10 medium bands to play and draw the same crowd but for a whole weekend.........................

i swear im going to have to change my career ambitions or nothing good will happen event wise:rolleyes:

You've done a lot of thinking haven't you?! :p

Still don't know if it would be allowed for a few years anyway.
    Bruce or Phil would be amazing

Green day would be amazing

who ever we get they cant be playing in Dublin or it wont sell out here.

we need to get a proper rail way between cork limerick and galway. that way it would be alot easier for people to get here and we would sell out alot more of these events

Bus is quicker and still will be when the train station opens. Well, from Galway anyway, the Gort - Crusheen journey will make it a breeze.

Pink has sold out hasn't it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,883 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

tech2 wrote: »
    Kings of Leon or Muse would be a major coup. Personally I have seen Muse live so Kings of Leon would do just fine! I've heard KOL are the best live act at the moment. From looking at the DVD they were outstanding in the 02 London last year.

I've heard KoL are quite hit and miss. If they have an argument the night before the gig, then you're in for a pretty cold atmosphere.

I would think that Lady Gaga would sell well, even though I wouldn't give her the time of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I don't think a two day festival would work too well. That would only suit the local people. If it was a one day event you would have lots of people traveling from around Munster and some from Galway and Dublin that would be going home that same night. Let's be honest here, if you are going to fork out a pretty penny to be staying in a hotel, you are not going to bother with Limerick.

Let's do it. Let's organize Boardsival :pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

magma69 wrote: »
    I don't think a two day festival would work too well. That would only suit the local people. If it was a one day event you would have lots of people traveling from around Munster and some from Galway and Dublin that would be going home that same night. Let's be honest here, if you are going to fork out a pretty penny to be staying in a hotel, you are not going to bother with Limerick.

Let's do it. Let's organize Boardsival :pac:.

why?

limerick is a nice place. that aside lots of citys host festivals. Belfast holds belsonic over a weekend. kilkee has that festival i never remeber the name of.................. festivalers will travel anywhere.

if you build it they will come:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

No one wants to go a festival in a stadium,thats a crap idea.
    Things like Oxegen,EP, are in big outdoor areas for a reason.With plenty of room for rambling around,plenty of facilites.etc

You may think about it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Icky Thump wrote: »
    why?

limerick is a nice place. that aside lots of citys host festivals. Belfast holds belsonic over a weekend. kilkee has that festival i never remeber the name of.................. festivalers will travel anywhere.

if you build it they will come:D

I need to watch Wayne's World 2 again!:D.

Seriously though. Let's not kid ourselves. If people are going to fork out a few bob for a weekend they will go to somewhere like Prague or Barcelona as it would end up being the same price. Everyone has houses/caravans in Kilkee. Lot's of people would be there regardless of the festival as it is a holiday resort. It's the Cois Fairrige festival.

It's beggars belief to think a weekend festival in a stadium in Limerick would work.

No one wants to go a festival in a stadium,thats a crap idea.
    Things like Oxegen,EP, are in big outdoor areas for a reason.With plenty of room for rambling around,plenty of facilites.etc

You may think about it again.

oh yea how could i be so wrong im an idiot...............

oh wait thats right im not wrong.................

Athlone Music Festival 2010 (stadium. albeit not as big as TP) http://www.athlonemusicfestival.com/

Bud Rising Festival(back in october 2005) was a huge success. held in Lansdown road

Belsonic takes place in custom house square in Belfast city center
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belsonic

Cois Fharraige is held in Kilkee town

Download Festival Ireland was held in 2006 in the RDS

Dolans festival was held down the docks a couple years ago and could be back this year

festivals such as Slane, Tennents ViTal, PlanetLove, Castlepalooza and even Marlay Park has or had festivals down the years.

all of the above have one thing in common. no camping. no roaming around. just one cornered off area where the gigs are held.

even
    Siamsa Coise Laoi held in Páirc Uí Chaoimh in the 1980s,
    and it turned into
    Féile which was a festival back in the 90's held in Semple stadium
    which transformed into
    witness and then what you might know as oxegen

why cant a festival work in a stadium?? if there is only one stage why do you need more space. where the hell are you rambling to?????

plenty of facilities in TP

you my friend have been schooled:D

magma69 wrote: »
    I need to watch Wayne's World 2 again!:D.

Seriously though. Let's not kid ourselves. If people are going to fork out a few bob for a weekend they will go to somewhere like Prague or Barcelona as it would end up being the same price. Everyone has houses/caravans in Kilkee. Lot's of people would be there regardless of the festival as it is a holiday resort. It's the Cois Fairrige festival.

It's beggars belief to think a weekend festival in a stadium in Limerick would work.

:D i loved that movie

seriously though if it was advertised enough it would work. all you need is 2 big enough bands to draw a crowd. then the rest are just almost headliners.

if this was done on the May or August bank holiday weekend there is a chance we could have nice weather. all we need is to promote it. if anything the city should be involved in something like that. it would be huge for the city.

just because it isnt straight forward doesnt make it an impossible idea

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

bob dylan to play 4th july

• Advertisement
Advertisement