Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VISA Pre-paid youth card

Options
  • 19-02-2010 4:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Two days ago I went into my bank (AIB) to find out about the VISA pre-paid youth card and the girl behind the desk had no idea what I was talking about so phoned one of the depts within the bank and they didn't know either, so she sent me over to the two girls who deal with credit card applications/information etc to see if they knew anything, and they also didn't know, they only knew about regular credit cards.

They said to go to Permanent TSB, but on the Visa websites, it doesn't say that P-TSB issue Visa cards. Anyway, the local P.TSB bank was closed at the time, as they were receiving a money delivery.

For more info about the Visa cards, go here:

http://www.visaeurope.com/personal/youthprepaid/prepaid.jsp

And here it says AIB Group issue Visa cards:

http://www.visaeurope.com/personal/choosing/getacard/main.jsp

Does anyone here know if P.TSB issue visa cards? Or any other banks that issue them?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Does anyone here know if P.TSB issue visa cards? Or any other banks that issue them?

I have a Visa card from PTSB. Never heard of this pre-paid youth card before.
    Not sure if they sell them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

-Orlaith- wrote: »
    Hi,

Two days ago I went into my bank (AIB) to find out about the VISA pre-paid youth card and the girl behind the desk had no idea what I was talking about so phoned one of the depts within the bank and they didn't know either, so she sent me over to the two girls who deal with credit card applications/information etc to see if they knew anything, and they also didn't know, they only knew about regular credit cards.

They said to go to Permanent TSB, but on the Visa websites, it doesn't say that P-TSB issue Visa cards. Anyway, the local P.TSB bank was closed at the time, as they were receiving a money delivery.

For more info about the Visa cards, go here:

http://www.visaeurope.com/personal/youthprepaid/prepaid.jsp

And here it says AIB Group issue Visa cards:

http://www.visaeurope.com/personal/choosing/getacard/main.jsp

Thanks.

Just because AIB (or any other bank) issue Visa cards, it doesn't mean they offer all kinds of Visa cards. It's like going into a shop and asking for something that the wholesaler stocks. Just because the wholesaler stocks 20 different kinds of product, the shop may not carry them all.

No bank here offers pre-paid Visa as such. 3V is an option but has some fees and limitations.

Why not set up a basic Ulster Bank account and get a Visa Debit card? You can only spend what you lodge, so in effect it becomes a pre-paid debit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    I have a Visa card from PTSB. Never heard of this pre-paid youth card before.
    Not sure if they sell them here.
    Thank you.
    BuffyBot wrote: »
    Just because AIB (or any other bank) issue Visa cards, it doesn't mean they offer all kinds of Visa cards. It's like going into a shop and asking for something that the wholesaler stocks. Just because the wholesaler stocks 20 different kinds of product, the shop may not carry them all.

No bank here offers pre-paid Visa as such. 3V is an option but has some fees and limitations.

Why not set up a basic Ulster Bank account and get a Visa Debit card? You can only spend what you lodge, so in effect it becomes a pre-paid debit card.
    Thank you.

I do have a 3v card, and tbh, I'm sick of their fee's, hence why I'm interested in a pre-paid visa card.

Are visa debit cards the same as the debit cards you get from AIB? As I have a debit card from AIB, but not many places online accept them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

-Orlaith- wrote: »

Are visa debit cards the same as the debit cards you get from AIB? As I have a debit card from AIB, but not many places online accept them.

No.

Aib is a maestro/laser card and only used on certain sites online, mostly irish.

The Visa debit card be used worldwide online and instore once you have funds in your account and the retailer accepts Visa brand. It has been having some teething problems, but mostly resolved now i think.

PTSB are also set to be launching the visa debit card later this year if you dont like ulster bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Davy wrote: »
    No.

Aib is a maestro/laser card and only used on certain sites online, mostly irish.

The Visa debit card be used worldwide online and instore once you have funds in your account and the retailer accepts Visa brand. It has been having some teething problems, but mostly resolved now i think.

PTSB are also set to be launching the visa debit card later this year if you dont like ulster bank.
    Thank you for the information.

• Advertisement
Advertisement