Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maps for Wicklow region.

Options
  • 19-02-2010 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭

Anyone know when the next maps in the four-map series for dublin/wicklow region will be available from east-west mapping? Seems a bit overdue at this point. Can't seem to find a contact point on the east-west website.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

dogmatix wrote: »
    Anyone know when the next maps in the four-map series for dublin/wicklow region will be available from east-west mapping? Seems a bit overdue at this point. Can't seem to find a contact point on the east-west website.
    You didn't loo very hard :D There's an email address at the bottom of the home page!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Ive been wondering about this for some time now, and have been checking the East-West mapping website for news since late last year.
    The first map in the series has been a god-send. I do a lot of long-distance hill running, but Im generally reliant on public transport.
    Ive used the map to explore many of the more obscure and little-known tracks though various Coillte forests, opening up all sorts of new access routes to the hills. It is especially useful to know exactly what land is public (Coillte), and what land is private.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Alun wrote: »
    You didn't loo very hard :D There's an email address at the bottom of the home page!

Ah yes - I see it now. I'm blaming my browser for only showing the top half of the screen. Have e-mailed for an update.

Ah yes - I see it now. I'm blaming my browser for only showing the top half of the screen.
    Yeah, damn sneaky browsers :)

Let us know what he says about the availability. I know he is actively working on it, as someone I walk with who has a fair bit of local knowledge of Wicklow has been assisting him with the southernmost section around Glenmalure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Got some good feedback from Barry Dalby at East-west aping regarding the remaining maps in the Dublin-Wicklow series. They are a little behind schedule but hope to print the Wicklow West and Lugnaquilla sheets at end of March / early April - awaiting paper delivery from Germany and tidying up placenames.

Wicklow East will not be complete untill 2011.

Delays were caused by their old printers shutting down so they had to source new arrangements. And while their fieldwork on map detail is more or less complete, they are also still taking in a lot of very interesting and useful placenames from local sources, hillfarmers etc.

So it sounds like the new maps will be well worth the wait.

• Advertisement

Good news! The fact that the Wicklow East map won't come out till later isn't that much of a problem. The overview map on the website is a bit unclear, but it doesn't appear that there is much hillwalking country on there that wouldn't also be covered by the other maps.

Hopefully, he'll also look into releasing the maps in digital form too somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

Got some good feedback from Barry Dalby at East-west aping regarding the remaining maps in the Dublin-Wicklow series. They are a little behind schedule but hope to print the Wicklow West and Lugnaquilla sheets at end of March / early April - awaiting paper delivery from Germany and tidying up placenames.

Wicklow East will not be complete untill 2011.

Delays were caused by their old printers shutting down so they had to source new arrangements. And while their fieldwork on map detail is more or less complete, they are also still taking in a lot of very interesting and useful placenames from local sources, hillfarmers etc.

So it sounds like the new maps will be well worth the wait.

Great news, dogmatix! Lost my Pat Healy map (are they still available at the shop in Laragh?) during the summer so looking forward to the Lugnaquilla one.

Also pleased to hear about the level of research on the place names etc. One of the great surprises and joys of the Dublin Mountains sheet.
    Alun wrote: »
    Good news! The fact that the Wicklow East map won't come out till later isn't that much of a problem. The overview map on the website is a bit unclear, but it doesn't appear that there is much hillwalking country on there that wouldn't also be covered by the other maps.

Hopefully, he'll also look into releasing the maps in digital form too somehow.

The major omission, from a hillwalking point of view, until the Wicklow East map is out will be the Sugar Loafs and Bray Head. I suspect though that the main purpose of that map will be to cater for people interested in the coastal walks between Bray and Wicklow and the trails at Vartry reservoir.

+1 on digital versions.

Advertisement