Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using router as access point?

Options
  • 19-02-2010 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have smart broadband but I have a 3 storey house, and the wireless doesn't reach up to the 3rd floor.

I have a homeplug on the 3rd floor but can only connect to one device at a time.

I have a Linksys wireless router, which I was planning on connecting to the homeplug and using it as an access point instead of a router.

Couldn't get this set up lastnight - is there anything I can change in the config to make it work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Firstly - connect the homeplug cable into the LAN port on the Linksys as this bridges the broadcast domain with the wireless LAN. (Leave the WAN port disconnected - this is only used when the device is acting as a router).

Secondly - log on to it - change its LAN ip address to make sure it doesnt conflict with your existing router.

Thirdly - disable the DHCP service - this is already running on your main router and will cause problems for wireless clients getting responses from the linksys before the router downstairs.

Thats it - youve turned your linksys router into a wireless access-point.

Advertisement