Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

<pointless debate>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Just so we get it out of the way early, I'll post the token 'did you PM the mods?' response.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I agree. It is funny. And it's not like it was dead for 5 years & only resurrected again yesterday by a "one post wonder".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    <inserts standard 'did you PM the mods?' response>

FYP in keeping with tone of locked thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

what was the point of locking that thread? what purpose did it serve?

you don't *have* to lock a thread, just because it's old. bit of discretion would be great. You don't own these threads, you're just looking after them.

/my 2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Just so we get it out of the way early, I'll post the token 'did you PM the mods?' response.

<answers no, wanted to carry on pointless debate feedback style instead>

• Advertisement

<inserts lolcat picture>

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Was a reason not given in the thread?
    It would be a good idea if reasons were given on threads being locked.
    Saves threads being set up in Feedback.

Did you get in touch with the mod in question WindSock?

Didn't PM the mod. I thought it would be beneficial to discuss why the thread was locked over here.

WindSock wrote: »
    I thought it would be beneficial to discuss why the thread was locked over here.

Yes.
    But it would also be useful to know the Mods response first and then discuss, if necessary.
    Right now, it's just a one sided debate.

<pm sent>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's Cuckoo's Nest material.. why move other threads to that forum while that <pointless> one is allowed to stay? Just my opinion =p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I normally agree with Sharpshooters locking sprees but I think this particular one is a step too far.

It's Cuckoo's Nest material.. why move other threads to that forum while that <pointless> one is allowed to stay? Just my opinion =p
    Because its four years old and is a part of AH folklore at this stage. It goes away for a while and every now and again it pops up and the new people who haven't seen it before get to make their input to it.

In four years it hasn't been locked by any mod team despite it making several comebacks, but now it deserves to be locked. Is this part of the 'new' AH?

Its supposed to be satirical about posting styles on AH rather than just mundane mindless posting that exists in TCN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

This is a few years old too and wasnt locked or moved?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Quazzie wrote: »
    Because its four years old and is a part of AH folklore at this stage. It goes away for a while and every now and again it pops up and the new people who haven't seen it before get to make their input to it.

Its supposed to be satirical about posting styles on AH rather than just mundane mindless posting that exists in TCN.

I guess you're right.. but it's a bit pointless to have a rule against starting pointless threads while there's a completely pointless thread there with Mods posting in it.

Kiera wrote: »

That thread is still pretty much as relevant now as the day it was started.

I would imagine that the Pointless Debate thread would/could only go so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Beruthiel wrote: »
    That thread is still pretty much as relevant now as the day it was started.

I get that but someone did still bring a 4yr old thread back to life.

Would it not be better to let the pointless debate thread just run out of steam if its only going to go so far?

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I disagree. A thread like that won't run out of steam as it is a skit of posting styles on AH. As AH has evolved so has the thread. It is current as it always highlights the current posting trends.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The mod has spoken. Oh, wait...

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I guess you're right.. but it's a bit pointless to have a rule against starting pointless threads while there's a completely pointless thread there with Mods posting in it.

Have less rules that box you into a corner would be my 2c on that connundrum.

As to why a cuckoos nest thread should be in AH and not moved to tCN? Possibly because:

a. It has been there for ages.
    b. Some people like a bit of vague silliness now and then in AH as a change from the generic rabble rousing and knee jerkism that is the mainstay of the place.
    c. A lot of people think tCN is very strange, even by AH standards and don't want to go in there any more than necessity/curiousity dictates.

Old threads are generally bad things to have around, but one that has been periodically bumped with no previous closures is a bit different really. Just because the *rule* says old threads should be locked, doesn't mean it is necessarily true. It's not as if this is a hot topic discussion that someone migt reply to out of context because they don't think it is an old thread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

4 years old?

Who cares how old the thread is, the last update before today and yesterday was 14-01-2010, 13:36 Thats only a month according to my secondary level maths skills

If a (not updated in) 4 years thread is risen from the grave then close it, but not an Active thread

:facepalm

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

* Thread locked

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054878335

This thread has been bouncing around AH for a few years harmlessly. Does it really need to be locked?

23:17, 26th Nov 2007 Closed Thread Terry

18:06, 13th Apr 2009 Opened Thread Tar.Aldarion

As everyone can see the thread was closed before for almost 17 months.

I'm not the first to lock it.
    Hill Billy wrote: »
    I agree. It is funny. And it's not like it was dead for 5 years & only resurrected again yesterday by a "one post wonder".

See above.
    Didn't PM the mod. I thought it would be beneficial to discuss why the thread was locked over here.

As a mod yourself you know to PM a mod if you have a query, then the Cmod and then go to Helpdesk if you're still not happy with the answer you get.
    Quazzie wrote: »
    I normally agree with Sharpshooters locking sprees but I think this particular one is a step too far.

It might appear to be a locking spree to users sometimes, but alot of the time there is only one or two mods on.
    It wouldn't seem like a spree if there were 4 or 5 locked threads all locked by different mods.

That thread was left open because it is relevant to the property market today.

I get that but someone did still bring a 4yr old thread back to life....
    ....that is still relevant today.

5starpool wrote: »
    Old threads are generally bad things to have around, but one that has been periodically bumped with no previous closures is a bit different really.

It had been closed before.

why did *you* close it tho? Just because it was old? Ok, fair enough. Maybe you didn't realise it's a bit of a legend thread.

It'd be great if it could be reopened, would you mind re-opening it please?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

tbh wrote: »
    why did *you* close it tho? Just because it was old? Ok, fair enough. Maybe you didn't realise it's a bit of a legend thread.

It'd be great if it could be reopened, would you mind re-opening it please?

Okay, looking over this thread it seems like most want it left open.

So I will unlock it now to keep AHs posters happy.

thanks sharpie - appreciated :)

As a mod yourself you know to PM a mod if you have a query, then the Cmod and then go to Helpdesk if you're still not happy with the answer you get.

Because it's not just about me. It's AH in general. That is why a thread is more beneficial here than between 2-3 people in Helpdesk.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Then be more honest about that Windsock. :):P Dont start a thread asking why was this thread closed, because if thats the information you are looking for, we dont have it. PM the mod, they are the only person who can answer you.

If you want to start a thread that says "This thread was closed, not sure why, but I dont think it should have been because of <inserts rationalisation>* , can we have a discussion about closing old threads that are still running?".

It might seem like the same thing to you, but some people get narked when they feel like the OP is acting the "raw prawn" as the aussies say... ie: being all innocent when really there is a subtext.

You have a good point/question/issue... dont be afraid to tackle it head on is all I'm saying. It can be resolved amicably, as it has been. :)

Just my 2c

DeV.

*did you see what I did there??

Fair enough, I will try to word my thread better in future rather than have it look as an indirect challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

legendary-thread.jpg

FC_NotEqual_41725_md.gif

blogpost_milk_expirydate.png

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I don't get those pics???

A not equals to sign, then a pic of an open milk (or similar) carton with the month spelt wrong.

That meant to mean something?

Edit: If there are more than 2 pics it may make sense, but I can only see 2 from work.

Advertisement