Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

<pointless debate>

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Legendary threads don't have an expiration date?
    Is that it?
    Do I win a prize? It better not be gone off milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Thread can't open. :confused:

Say what ya see
    catchphrase.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Legendary threads shouldn't be milked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

there's always one?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

<is confused>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

<sigh>

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

<inserts standard "in before lock" comment after the silly pics appear>

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

<had a better sense of humour four years ago>

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Mr. Chips having a ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Good to see this was sorted. I actually presumed it was locked as a joke!

Its a joke thread about AH!

<inserts usual fight the powah spiel>

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Make yarn, not barn.
    Quazzie wrote: »
    Is this part of the 'new' AH?
    There's a 'new' AH now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

<wonders if I can haz lolcats>

Closed again!

Wonders what is the point in Feedback for mods sometimes.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

K-9 wrote: »
    Closed again!

Wonders what is the point in Feedback for mods sometimes.

Every time that thread gets bumped, another one is knocked off the front page in AH. It's only my opinion but I think it had jumped the shark some time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Its pointless. Serves no purpose.

I'll open it and move it out of AH.
    Humour? tCN?

Every time that thread gets bumped, another one is knocked off the front page in AH. It's only my opinion but I think it had jumped the shark some time ago.

Its not that big a deal, neither is keeping it open though.

Rabies wrote: »

Humour? tCN?

Hardly either of them, is it really though?

Seems the mods want it locked so might as well just do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Rabies wrote: »

Humour? tCN?
    Did you decide to lock the thread just because you personally couldn't see a reason for keeping it open?

Do you think that the thread being open was harmful to After Hours? You do say it's more appropriate for tCN but I noticed that you didn't move it there.

Also, normally I pm Mods directly if I wanted to find out the logic behind an aribtrary decision but it clearly has warranted significant discussion in this thread and you have already posted your summary reasoning in that thread and in this one.

I really do see a lot of garbage being posted in After Hours but such is the nature of the forum. It's a place that allows posting without the level of justification or explanation that's seen on other forums here. I don't see why users must be prevented from posting in it?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Its supposed to be satirical about posting styles on AH rather than just mundane mindless posting that exists in TCN.

This is what the thread is.

Although there is a tendancy for it to get hijacked once in a while for people to use it as a platform to chat, it still doesn't stay active for very long and drops off once again.
    However if it does get too chatty my suggestion is to mod it rather than just lock it.

Something along the lines of;

<Inserts an unpopular post to keep the chat down and highlights in bold to indicate the seriousness of the post> etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Its supposed to be satirical about posting styles on AH rather than just mundane mindless posting that exists in TCN.

Oh dear. I'm going to need a bigger list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

To be honest i agree with it been locked. I posted in it once or twice a long time ago but its more suited to tcn, as its a "count to a million" type thread.

Lock it or move it.

Much a do about nothing either way to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Have to agree with Rabies locking it.

It was a nonsense thread, wouldn't even inflict it on tCN thinking about it now.

Have to say also that I find it very strange that people opposed to an 'off-topic' thread on After Hours would be so vehemently against this one being locked now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

An off-topic is a chat thread. This one isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 tomhappens

Most of the recent posts in that thread completely missed the point anyway, so locking it does no harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

WindSock wrote: »
    An off-topic is a chat thread. This one isn't.

Precisely.

The thread had no worthwhile purpose, an off-topic chat thread would.

I'm just surprised the damn thing lasted this long, it was well past it's sell by date.

There is no point to the thread. Some people get it, some don't, like puns!

The dragging up an old thread rules don't really count on this one, the flirting not really either, to an extent.

Its a stupid, worthless thread like most of AH threads. Lock her up.

God forbid somebody would drag it up in 3 months time.

Did you decide to lock the thread just because you personally couldn't see a reason for keeping it open?

Do you think that the thread being open was harmful to After Hours? You do say it's more appropriate for tCN but I noticed that you didn't move it there.

No.
    It was dragged up months ago. Left for a while and locked. Then this thread surfaced. It died a death and came back. Full of pointless crap. No need for it. Threads of random nature often belong or originate in tCN.

I didn't move it over for a couple of reasons. I posted here saying a could, but it was an open question. Required a response from posters. Secondly it isn't a normal small thread that gets moved from AH to tCN, so I'd have dropped Sarky a PM about it.

Edit:
    Oh, "chat" threads will not happen in AH either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

In all honesty, let a good thread die. Dont flog it to death. There are only so many funny responses you can get out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

No one seems to be answering exactly why a pointless thread should be closed. If it is against the charter in some respect then I would understand, more or less. But wouldn't "letting a good thread die" just mean that? There's a difference between letting time/apathy take its course instead of "euthanasia".

Now Rabies has further clarified what happened and his decision seems fair enough in that it wasn't appropriate for AH given its latest posts, but I'm not happy with the "No need for it" attitude.

Frankly, I think a lot more threads in AH could be closed if that logic was employed everywhere. It's the same thing with other threads being brought back from the grave, some of them are being done by a fool or worse in a thread that lost relevance 2 years ago, but some of them can attract good discussion from time to time. E.g. a large thread about a movie producer might be dragged up from time to time when new movies are released. What I'm saying is that there should be more to locking those threads than a cursory glance at the post date.

Anyway, given the no tolerance attitude to zombie threads on boards, why not just have them automatically locked after e.g. 18 months of inactivity and save yourselves the hassle?

• Advertisement

Frankly, I think a lot more threads in AH could be closed if that logic was employed everywhere. It's the same thing with other threads being brought back from the grave, some of them are being done by a fool or worse in a thread that lost relevance 2 years ago, but some of them can attract good discussion from time to time. E.g. a large thread about a movie producer might be dragged up from time to time when new movies are released. What I'm saying is that there should be more to locking those threads than a cursory glance at the post date.
    So we're in agreement then :/

Advertisement