Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

<pointless debate>

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I think this is an excellent example of the "editorial policy" that I'd like to see discussed in FF.

From what little I know of it the thread doesn't break the spirit of the charter (whatever about the technical letter of teh law) but some people think it's stopped being funny and it's been locked because a Mod is of teh opinion it's "pointless" (unlike a poll on who to sacrifice to appease the volcano in Iceland, which I assume serves a higher purpose).

Lots of topics in AH are controversial in some way or another. Toilet threads, christmas threads and this thread have all been the subject of FB threads for example. Personally I'm not convinced that a Mods personal opinion of pointless / un-funny / circular / whatever is a good enough reason to lock a thread down. If you've been here long enough you realise that all conversations are circular anyway and on some level it's *all* pointless! So why not leave that stuff in place to runit's natural course? After all if it is genuinley pointless, boring or circular it'll die a natural death quickly enough anyway.

(This is very different to a pre-emptive lock on a thread that is heading for train-wreck or trolling, I'm talking here about threads where a Mod decides that a given topic is just not worth discussing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Rabies wrote: »
    Its pointless. Serves no purpose.

I'll open it and move it out of AH.
    Humour? tCN?
    I can't post in it if it's moved to tCN as Sarky permabanned me as part of April Fools. :o
    Sarky wrote: »
    Oh dear. I'm going to need a bigger list.
    Can I be scratched off that list. :pac:
    WindSock wrote: »
    An off-topic is a chat thread. This one isn't.
    Well, ya see, AH is basically all off topic, apparently. Which is why we're not allowed one thread for off topic chatty nonsense. Yet, when threads are dragged off topic they get locked. This results in the AH heads looking for another thread to drag into chatty off topic posts. That thread then get's locked/moved too and the circle continues. So, how can people say AH is off topic if we're not allowed post off topic?

Petition for an off topic chat thread in the biggest off topic forum on boards?

The <pointless debate> thread served a purpose. When the AH users seen no stories/threads in AH that interested them/already posted in, they could post in there to pass some time 'til a good thread came up.

That's my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

There will be no off topic chat thread in AH. That is in agreement by AH mods.

As I said in an earlier post, I can move it to Humour or tCN. I don't mind it sitting in the Humour forum. It is suited to tCN, but a thread of that size and nature would need to be cleared with Sarky before hand, and I have not PM'd him yet.

--amadeus-- you've been here for long enough too to understand that a charter is a guideline. Not to be followed to the letter in every case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I honestly can't believe people are complaining that this thread has been locked.

I think most people would agree that After Hours is where people discuss topics in the same fashion that they would down the pub, maybe not everyone sees it like that - but that's how I have always seen AH at least.

That thread should have died with two hours of it been started imo.

Should it be locked though?

Well, I think so but can also just about slightly see the point that maybe, just maybe it shouldn't.

However, why are people so bothered about this useless junk thread above all the others that get unjustifiably locked in AH?

Examples:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055867745

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055868085

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Bonito wrote: »
    The <pointless debate> thread served a purpose. When the AH users seen no stories/threads in AH that interested them/already posted in, they could post in there to pass some time 'til a good thread came up.

That's my 2 cents.

Imho, threads like that stop the flow of the forum. As you say, if people are bored they'll post in it until a good thread comes up.. that's not a good thing really. They could start threads instead, or contribute to other threads which people took the time to start

I'm not saying that people should be hemmed in by the way the forum flows, but getting bored and posting in a pointless thread (which is covered by the charter) to pass time isn't the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

If it ends up in TCN I'm moving the count to a million threads to AH to replace it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

This thread is aptly named anyway.

Just put it in the recycle bin and then link it in the list of legendary threads that's stickied in AH so nobody can ruin it any further.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

At least this one wasn't locked because somebody mentioned nigeria.

At least this one wasn't locked because somebody mentioned Nigeria.
    You sir, have just been tagged by the grammar Nazis. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The decision to re open it last time must have been wrong then, which is fair enough.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Sarky wrote: »
    If it ends up in TCN I'm moving the count to a million threads to AH to replace it.
    Did you miss the bit where I said I'd PM first and ask?

or McBeth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

What? Just for mentioning Nigeria? Surely there was a racist comment along with the mentioning of Nigeria? Do you have a link?

TheZohan wrote: »
    What? Just for mentioning Nigeria? Surely there was a racist comment along with the mentioning of Nigeria? Do you have a link?

Here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055867389

Maybe there was something behind the scenes, but that's how it appeared.

tallaght01 also posted it in Feed Forward a few weeks back.

WTF??? The Op was clearly just using Nigeria and Iceland as examples for his/her question and it got locked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Here:

I remember that thread, tbh I thought it had been re-opened.

It didn't come across as being racist or trollish IMHO, maybe an AH mod will reconsider it's closure.

TheZohan wrote: »
    It didn't come across as being racist or trollish IMHO, maybe an AH mod will reconsider it's closure.

Yup, most users thought so and one even started a thread to say as much, but it too was closed:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055867393

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Rabies wrote: »
    Did you miss the bit where I said I'd PM first and ask?

Probably. I'm not very good at paying attention. I can't even remember why I posted what I did earlier today.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

My problem with lockings like this was and is that a "pointless thread" should not be the only reason behind locking a thread.

Perhaps I should be talking on the FF forum where this general topic is being discussed but this thread is a good example of what I'm talking about.

I'm not trying to be anal on the implementation of charters either. I don't see what examples of clear muppetry were in that thread that merited its locking, whether they're written down as rules or not. I can understand the spirit of the forum needs to be maintained using subjective judgements but I don't think that thread needed to be locked down just to maintain "the flow of the forum".
    Rabies wrote:
    So we're in agreement then :/
    I may be misunderstanding you, so do point it out if I miss your underlying point here. I really can't see how we're agreeing on this issue. I said that I think a lot more threads in AH could be closed if "the thread's pointless" logic was employed everywhere. I didn't say they should be closed. I was highlighting just how mods' personal tastes can influence actions needlessly. We're all humans and subjective, but common sense can still be applied to whether a thread needs to be locked or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Pointless debate about pointless debate ...

Alannis morisette could knock another verse out of this one :D

/runs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Here:

Arguably the biggest joke of a decision Ive seen on boards. I made a big post about it in the FeedForward thread and it was ignored (Indeed I see you've thanked it yourself Pete :) appreciate the lonely support).

This is the relevant points I had to say on the matter :
    That thread that Sharpshooter locked was a disgrace. absolute disgrace. I can't believe myself actually being angry at the internet! but im raging. Not one of those posts were in the slightest bit trollish. In fact all of them were valid and interesting. Why should a poster have to justify that sort of thread?
    I was under the impression that Boards.ie was for the posters. For the community. But the arrogance and the power trip that was behind that locking is bewildering. Dr Bollocko (a genuinely brilliant mod along with the Zohan both of whom i'd love to see back at AH) made the valid point that some mods do things "for the sake of modding". IMO that's an example of it.

My question is what is done about it? Does SS get banned? An apology? an Explanation? perhaps she should justify her decision. This isn't a go a SS who seems to get her fair bit of stick, imo she's a grand mod if a little over zealous with the ban stick at times. but this decision was very poor and should be addressed.

I'll happily start a new thread on this but I'd like to see someone address this.

In before the PM the mod for Q&A.

Edit : If there are behind the scenes pointers that justified locking the thread I'll happily acknowledge I'm wrong and that the above post is irrelevant.

Kirnsy. Can you link to this thread in Feedforward? Also I think it's more of a help desk/feedback issue. Most likely feedback. I have pm'd Sharpshooter about this thread but have received no reply from her as yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Kirnsy. Can you link to this thread in Feedforward? Also I think it's more of a help desk/feedback issue. Most likely feedback. I have pm'd Sharpshooter about this thread but have received no reply from her as yet.

There it is. Yes I'm sure we'll have to split this thread as it is off topic but it is an issue that grates with me...for no real reason other than I feel the manner in which it was closed was bang out of order.

Kirnsy wrote: »
    There it is. Yes I'm sure we'll have to split this thread as it is off topic but it is an issue that grates with me...for no real reason other than I feel the manner in which it was closed was bang out of order.
    To resolve a dispute the procedure is PM mod who locked thread. Failing that it's left to a cmod's decision. Failing that I believe it is left to admins in Help Desk to sort it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Here:

Taken on face value, that is an absolute disgrace and embarrassing.

If there isn't a background reason then there is something seriously wrong there and it needs to be addressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Taken on face value, that is an absolute disgrace and embarrassing.

If there isn't a background reason then there is something seriously wrong there and it needs to be addressed.
    I think to be fair Mod closed the thread as a precautionary measure and gave the poster the chance to give a reason for chosing those two nationalities as mentioned in above post.
    Ive seen threads closed for no go reason with no recourse. Mod to be fair offered to re open thread if poster clarified his post.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I think to be fair Mod closed the thread as a precautionary measure and gave the poster the chance to give a reason for chosing those two nationalities as mentioned in above post.
    Ive seen threads closed for no go reason with no recourse. Mod to be fair offered to re open thread if poster clarified his post.

Precautionary measure against what? I can only presume thinly veiled racism, and if that case it'd just be another case of the uber PC bollox that has popped up before.

It was a silly OTT reaction (again, ifthere is no background to it) and is an example of a moment for when a facepalm image is more than applicable.

I've Pm'd Sharpshooter on behalf of the Op but nothing has come of it. No reply. Nada. Maybe the Op has a history of borderline racial comments on here that Sharpshooter knows about? If not then I can't see any good reason to lock that thread.

The Op, IMHO, was just using Iceland and Nigeria as two examples.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I've Pm'd Sharpshooter on behalf of the Op but nothing has come of it. No reply. Nada. Maybe the Op has a history of borderline racial comments on here that Sharpshooter knows about? If not then I can't see any good reason to lock that thread.

The Op, IMHO, was just using Iceland and Nigeria as two examples.
    Similarly the reported post Overheal mentioned didn't get a reply. Nor the thread in feedforward that tallaght mentioned. Nor when OutlawPete brought it up. It appears that the communication and accountability on this particular one just isn't there. This is not new ground we're covering here.
    /twiddles thumbs.

Advertisement