Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

<pointless debate>

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Similarly the reported post Overheal mentioned didn't get a reply. Nor the thread in feedforward that tallaght mentioned. Nor when OutlawPete brought it up. It appears that the communication and accountability on this particular one just isn't there. This is not new ground we're covering here.
    /twiddles thumbs.
    As I'm not the Op of the thread I doubt it will be seen to and I'm not sure whether I should PM a cmod asking for it to be unlocked or not because, again, I'm not the Op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Similarly the reported post Overheal mentioned didn't get a reply. Nor the thread in feedforward that tallaght mentioned. Nor when OutlawPete brought it up. It appears that the communication and accountability on this particular one just isn't there. This is not new ground we're covering here.
    /twiddles thumbs.

I didn't want to say last night but I too have had an issue with ignored Reported Posts.

Admin are looking into it as I wasn't keen on starting a HD thread without first making sure there wasn't a glitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Precautionary measure against what? I can only presume thinly veiled racism, and if that case it'd just be another case of the uber PC bollox that has popped up before.

It was a silly OTT reaction (again, ifthere is no background to it) and is an example of a moment for when a facepalm image is more than applicable.
    Yeah but as such facepalming can lead to accusations of mod trolling on his own thread.
    Think the mod was right here. Poster by mentioning those two nationalities was leaving himself open a bit.
    Maybe mod over reacted a bit but in this case better safe than sorry.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Yeah but as such facepalming can lead to accusations of mod trolling on his own thread.
    Think the mod was right here. Poster by mentioning those two nationalities was leaving himself open a bit.
    Maybe mod over reacted a bit but in this case better safe than sorry.

But that's ridiculous.
    So if I were to post the word "Nigeria" or say the word "traveller" or something into a thread in AH the right thing to do is lock the thread to be safe and not sorry?
    Ridiculous.
    Lets put Nigeria in the swear filter then if we're best off not mentioning it to be safe and not sorry.
    Ridiculous.
    And if a mod does over-react a bit and then people ask WTF surely they should be able to hold the hand up? Because without that facility available I find it difficult to see how they have the characteristics required of a mod at all.
    Instead of more feedback as to why this was done it's a wall of silence. "I dunno." Ignored.
    Simple to say, "I over-reacted, I misread it" or even try and explain the decision to lock.

But that's ridiculous.
    So if I were to post the word "Nigeria" or say the word "traveller" or something into a thread in AH the right thing to do is lock the thread to be safe and not sorry?
    Ridiculous.
    Lets put Nigeria in the swear filter then if we're best off not mentioning it to be safe and not sorry.
    Ridiculous.
    And if a mod does over-react a bit and then people ask WTF surely they should be able to hold the hand up? Because without that facility available I find it difficult to see how they have the characteristics required of a mod at all.
    Sorry but you have to go with the mods judgement here. He obviously felt that poster had singled out to nationalities and again gave the poster the chance to explain his choice for those two. We dont know if poster pmd mod in meantime with explanation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Sorry but you have to go with the mods judgement here. He obviously felt that poster had singled out to nationalities and again gave the poster the chance to explain his choice for those two. We dont know if poster pmd mod in meantime with explanation.

But now you're simply saying that arguing with a decision itself is pointless. Which it so far has proven to be as nothing has changed. But that's just another symptom of things that should be re-evaluated on boards.
    Why would I trust a moderator's judgement above my own? They aren't holy, or higher powers, or super intelligent. Just people there to facilitate discussion.

You forget that Dr.B was a mod of the same forum. To lock a thread just because someone has used Nigeria as a comparison to massive divides in terms of culture/language against Iceland is ridiculous. They are both perfect examples to highlight such cultural differences. Sharpshooter locked the thread out of her own little hunch that it would turn racial. IMO I don't think it was going that way at all but, as I said earlier, if the Op has a history of racial posts/threads then maybe Sharpshooter was justified in locking it.

But now you're simply saying that arguing with a decision itself is pointless. Which it so far has proven to be as nothing has changed. But that's just another symptom of things that should be re-evaluated on boards.
    Why would I trust a moderator's judgement above my own? They aren't holy, or higher powers, or super intelligent. Just people there to facilitate discussion.
    For all we know a couple of posters might have objected to post re the report post function. Im assuming mods occassionally take this on boards when closing threads. I think the thread itself was a good one.

Lads, this is a pointless debate :p

Seriously, I could be wrong but ..

I think SS locked it because of the two countries chosen, not just one.

Shenanigans must have been sussed but as Dr.B said, no harm her clarifying that, if its the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Bonito wrote: »
    Sharpshooter locked the thread out of her own little hunch that it would turn racial. IMO I don't think it was going that way at all but, as I said earlier, if the Op has a history of racial posts/threads then maybe Sharpshooter was justified in locking it.

the other thing to remember as well is that maybe SS is the most racist person you'll ever meet in real life, but feels she has standards to adhere to in modding boards.
    For example, I often get accused of being a particular radio presenter, or at least his lover, because I'll infract or ban people who make accusations or post rumours about him.
    Now, that doesn't mean that I wouldn't be the first person to repeat those rumours down the pub - but the way I see it, the admins have trusted me to run a little part of boards on their behalf, and where there's a conflict between what I think is ok, and what I think the admins would think is ok, I err on the side of the admins, because it's their site. that doesn't stop me from getting abuse for it, but it won't stop me doing it either :)

• Advertisement

Basically it boiled down to the mods own racial views or whatever you want to call it. Talk about jumping the gun. I doubt there would have been any issue if the Op used Australia and Jamaica as comparative examples of how different language/culture are.

tbh wrote: »
    the other thing to remember as well is that maybe SS is the most racist person you'll ever meet in real life, but feels she has standards to adhere to in modding boards.
    For example, I often get accused of being a particular radio presenter, or at least his lover, because I'll infract or ban people who make accusations or post rumours about him.
    Now, that doesn't mean that I wouldn't be the first person to repeat those rumours down the pub - but the way I see it, the admins have trusted me to run a little part of boards on their behalf, and where there's a conflict between what I think is ok, and what I think the admins would think is ok, I err on the side of the admins, because it's their site. that doesn't stop me from getting abuse for it, but it won't stop me doing it either :)
    I have never met SS in real life but it wouldn't be the 1st time I've heard of or had experience with her jumping the gun and making hasty decisions based on her false hunches. Sometimes she makes her own assumptions and acts very rash rather than looking at the facts. Her Avatar is very apt. Shoot first and ask questions later. Why? Because she can, apparently.

I have never met SS in real life but it wouldn't be the 1st time I've heard of or had experience with her jumping the gun and making hasty decisions based on her false hunches. Sometimes she makes her own assumptions and acts very rash rather than looking at the facts. Her Avatar is very apt. Shoot first and ask questions later. Why? Because she can, apparently.

and my point is, she's making those decisions because she thinks she's doing the right thing by boards. And her thanks is threads like this which seem to contrive to pour scorn on her.

Clearly all mods have different ways of seeing things. :) This is a good thing as it shows you aren't all one big robot. :p

What's your opinion on the thread being locked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Ah come on, we all know you're Gerry Ryan. You NEVER post between 9 - 11 :P

I thought he was Joe Duffy?:confused:
    You lied to me tbh. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

and my point is, she's making those decisions because she thinks she's doing the right thing by boards. And her thanks is threads like this which seem to contrive to pour scorn on her.

And therein lies the problem.

She may think she is, but she may not be.

Opinion on that particular thread would indicate the latter and that's where someone needs to step in and sort it out.

Opinion on that particular thread would indicate the latter and that's where someone needs to step in and sort it out.
    Yes but at same time every mod has to make a call. To be fair poster doesnt seem to have taken this to the help desk which is normally the case when a thread is prematurely locked so obviously there is either stuff going on behind the scenes or poster simply hasnt got back to mod in terms of clarifying post.

I pm'd her on behalf of the Op. I was told by AC that when you submit a thread it becomes everyone's. Nobody owns it and anyone can speak for it. I have spoken for it to be re-opened and it's being ignored. So not only has it been locked but it is being ignored that posters want it reopened, too.

Clearly all mods have different ways of seeing things. :) This is a good thing as it shows you aren't all one big robot. :p

What's your opinion on the thread being locked?

I wouldn't have locked it in fairness, my honest 2c is that if it were my call, I would have just deleted the post, let it carry on and dealt with any fallout over PM
    . But that's one incident, if I had hundreds to deal with per day - as they must have in AH, I might have called it differently.

• Advertisement

Kiera wrote: »
    Ah come on, we all know you're Gerry Ryan. You NEVER post between 9 - 11 :P

I tell ya - if I had his cash, you could say what you wanted about me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Hmm. Lets not be raw prawns about it here. So I'll just come out and say it. The mods currently running AH don't work well. Particularly with this pre emptive striking on threads policy. Are they really for the betterment of boards or do they just aggravate the community?

I thought mods are appointed to facilitate a civil discussion, not stifle them at their own whim. I think SharpShooter should step down in all honesty. It's nothing personal. I like her as a poster, but not as a mod of AH.

What I would like to see happen is an appointment of a mod or mods who have a vested interested in AH. The rest I feel, are impartial to AH, which of course is no bad thing, but I think someone needs to be there who knows whats what and can clamp down on the flirting, rather than just close a thread and leave it at that, or leave it to run until a post is reported.

My 2 bob, take it or leave it.

yeah that seems to be true in that case as well. But there's a way of doing things if you want the thread reopened, and theres a way of doing things if you want to humiliate the mod - (not you personally, obviously), but it's human nature to stick to your guns if you're challenged sometimes, even if you do think that maybe you made the wrong call. The pressure on AH mods is quite intense I'd say, while it may be easy in theory to say she should hold her hands up, you can't deny there would be plenty who'd use it as a stick to beat her with.

WindSock has a valid point. IMO there are some mods who have too much on their plate and too many fora to mod. I've often seen a couple of mods complaining about moderating becoming a chore. If they don't enjoy it and it's really annoying them and they're seeing it as work then perhaps they should step down.

Why don't they step down if they're under too much pressure with a few fora to look after? Because they enjoy the power trip too much IMO. They start to impose their own agendas on their forums. This doesn't work and it just pisses the posters off TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

yeah that seems to be true in that case as well. But there's a way of doing things if you want the thread reopened, and theres a way of doing things if you want to humiliate the mod - (not you personally, obviously), but it's human nature to stick to your guns if you're challenged sometimes, even if you do think that maybe you made the wrong call. The pressure on AH mods is quite intense I'd say, while it may be easy in theory to say she should hold her hands up, you can't deny there would be plenty who'd use it as a stick to beat her with.

Fair point tbh. I don't want to be seen a part of some form of witch hunt here.

The thread in question just happens to be a great example of the current problems in general.

WindSock has a valid point. IMO there are some mods who have too much on their plate and too many fora to mod. I've often seen a couple of mods complaining about moderating becoming a chore. If they don't enjoy it and it's really annoying them and they're seeing it as work then perhaps they should step down.

Why don't they step down if they're under too much pressure with a few fora to look after? Because they enjoy the power trip too much IMO. They start to impose their own agendas on their forums. This doesn't work and it just pisses the posters off TBH.

I blame the 'Off-topic' chatter myself.

They should set up a special thread for that malarky.

Some good looking hunk has a thread about I think :p

You couldn't resist, could you. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I pm'd her on behalf of the Op. I was told by AC that when you submit a thread it becomes everyone's. Nobody owns it and anyone can speak for it. I have spoken for it to be re-opened and it's being ignored. So not only has it been locked but it is being ignored that posters want it reopened, too.

And getting back to the pointless debate thread, this is the point!

The thread has been going a few years. Resurrected every so often, good few posts, then dies.

It was resurrected a few months ago, good few posts, then locked. After this thread and consultation it was reopened.

Few months later, resurrected again, few posts, locked and looks like it will not be re opened. Some consistency would be nice.

The thread is hardly ruining the flow of AH, it's one thread on the front page and any flirty chat could have been sorted by a mod post, just as easy as locking it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    And getting back to the pointless debate thread, this is the point!

The thread has been going a few years. Resurrected every so often, good few posts, then dies.

It was resurrected a few months ago, good few posts, then locked. After this thread and consultation it was reopened.

Few months later, resurrected again, few posts, locked and looks like it will not be re opened. Some consistency would be nice.

The thread is hardly ruining the flow of AH, it's one thread on the front page and any flirty chat could have been sorted by a mod post, just as easy as locking it.
    Inconsistency is the only consistency on here.

• Advertisement

Fair point tbh. I don't want to be seen a part of some form of witch hunt here.

The thread in question just happens to be a great example of the current problems in general.
    Well it does seem to be turning into a witch hunt given that this thread started off as something different altogether. Should we be zoning in on this mods decision and saying whether she is suitable to mod. IMO I dont think its fair within the confines of this thread which as I said began as I totally different thing altogether.

Advertisement