Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

<pointless debate>

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Well it does seem to be turning into a witch hunt given that this thread started off as something different altogether. Should we be zoning in on this mods decision and saying whether she is suitable to mod. IMO I dont think its fair within the confines of this thread which as I said began as I totally different thing altogether.

True, but each of these complaint threads seem to come back to the same issue. I amn't tip-toeing around what I reckon the problem is anymore. I have said what I think on the issue. No one else has mentioned any names but I'm pretty sure we are all on the same page. If not, sorry for assuming so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Next step. Who's going to put up the issue in itself rather than beating around it within this thread. =/

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well SS reopened the pointless debate thread, after taking on feedback, so I've no gripes there.

Its locked again which kind of makes a mockery of the process. What was the point of reopening it? What was the point of users complaining?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Bonito wrote: »
    Next step. Who's going to put up the issue in itself rather than beating around it within this thread. =/

You

K-9 wrote: »
    Well SS reopened the pointless debate thread, after taking on feedback, so I've no gripes there.

Yeah, that's fair enough. But is it going to take a thread here on each issue to get them resolved though?
    Its locked again which kind of makes a mockery of the process. What was the point of reopening it? What was the point of users complaining?

That is because there is an issue with modding in AH. It wasn't modded. It was simply just locked.

• Advertisement

WindSock wrote: »
    You
    Right well I want PM's outlining everyones issues so I can throw it all in to the one Op. When I get that I'll push it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Its kind of odd seeing a post requesting private messages about peoples problems with a mod, just over the ACT sig.

Surely if people have a genuine problem with a mod they'll have the balls to say it themselves.

That includes you Windsock. As a moderator yourself do you not think that maybe what you are instigating might be better handled with a PM to the CMod or in private in the mod forum. This public witch-hunt, and lets not kid ourselves that this is what this thread has turned into, is extremely sickening. If you have a problem with any particular moderator common decency dictates that you would try and sort it out with them in private instead of calling them out in the fashion you currently are. Asking someone else to start a thread you want to start yourself is very cowardice and I personally have lost a lot of respect for you. Grow a pair and do it yourself if you want to, instead of getting someone else to do your dirty work

Quazzie wrote: »
    Its kind of odd seeing a post requesting private messages about peoples problems with a mod, just over the ACT sig.

Surely if people have a genuine problem with a mod they'll have the balls to say it themselves.

That includes you Windsock. As a moderator yourself do you not think that maybe what you are instigating might be better handled with a PM to the CMod or in private in the mod forum. This public witch-hunt, and lets not kid ourselves that this is what this thread has turned into, is extremely sickening. If you have a problem with any particular moderator common decency dictates that you would try and sort it out with them in private instead of calling them out in the fashion you currently are. Asking someone else to start a thread you want to start yourself is very cowardice and I personally have lost a lot of respect for you. Grow a pair and do it yourself if you want to, instead of getting someone else to do your dirty work

I can easly start a thread, no bother. Sure didn't I start this one? There is a lot of beating around the bush by other posters on here and elsewhere it seems. People are asking who's going to do what, when they can do it themselves.
    I feel as if I have already done my dirty work. I said directly I thought everyone else was saying. Do I think it should be in the mod forum, or via PM? No. I don't agree with some things being done behind closed doors, especially when there is a call and push for transperency. And more especially when others are whispering around the elephant in the room already in the public sphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

True, I don't like the way this thread seems to be turning.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Why? It means taking the chatter off here. If you're weirded out by myself requesting a PM then the posters can go to ACT and post in there and I'll take a summary of everything.
    We do but the problem is our issues fall on deaf ears and nothing is done about it.
    That includes you Windsock. As a moderator yourself do you not think that maybe what you are instigating might be better handled with a PM to the CMod or in private in the mod forum.
    Why? She's not the only one with the issue so why try resolve it, on her own, over pm or in the mod forum?
    This public witch-hunt, and lets not kid ourselves that this is what this thread has turned into, is extremely sickening.
    By posting this you haven't exactly helped stop this "public with hunt" have you?
    If you have a problem with any particular moderator common decency dictates that you would try and sort it out with them in private instead of calling them out in the fashion you currently are.
    I don't know about others on here but my pm's have been ignored the last 2 days. Is that suitable mod behaviour? It's not only the posters who are outraged by the way the moding is going on, it's other mods, too.
    Asking someone else to start a thread you want to start yourself is very cowardice and I personally have lost a lot of respect for you. Grow a pair and do it yourself if you want to, instead of getting someone else to do your dirty work
    She's not asking anybody to start anything for her. It's very evident WindSock is not one who's afraid to speak her mind when the time calls for it.

I don't know if you read the entire thread or not but the mod has been pm'd but has not replied. This thread hasn't necessarily dragged into a public witch hunt. It's one mod's name within the issue of the Op. Over the course of the thread posters have just pulled up more examples of this mods decisions/actions not being up to standard as of late. I don't see any harm in providing more examples TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

It was me who emphasized it again on this thread. It was not my intention to turn the thread into a witch hunt or whatever it's been called. I personally have no issues with SS so I'll leave that with those who do and want to see her step down.

My point was that the reason for closing the thread was ridiculous and I'd like to see some sort of reasoning behind it. The silence and lack of interaction from the admins/SS etc has been deafening. Even more so on the original thread on it in FeedForward which has been open for a while at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Heh, I'm sure glad I don't mod AH anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

If anyone mentions it via PM or through the proper channels they get called a bully.

The admins don't give a toss they just want everyone to be "Shiney happy people".

Life doesn't work that way.

Sincerely,

EX-mod of After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

First up, let me clear up one thing. I am not against anyone that has a problem with any mod seeking to take action on it. All I'm saying is that this thread and in particular the way it has turned is definitely not the right way to approach this subject.

Its obvious here than there are a few people who have a problem with Sharpshooter. Fine by me. Calling her out on this thread in such a public way though is not the way to deal with it. If there isn't a mechanism currently set up to deal with this situation then suggest it in feed-forward where the Trustees of the site can discuss setting up such a mechanism.

Whatever your issues are with a mod, she deserves more respect than to be called out like she is in this thread.

You are entitled to have concerns with her moderation, and no one will deny you that, but there are better ways of dealing with it that this is all I am saying. Some of the earlier posts are bordering on personal abuse and bullying and to me, its sickening. Whether your concerns are justified is irrelevant because its not your concerns I am complaining about, its the way you are handling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I have to say, the lack of admin input to this thread one way or another is a bit concerning.

Surely there should have been some guidance, i.e. go to Help Desk, PM the mod, please don't name names, the mod was incorrect we're dealing with it, etc.

But no, nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

While myself and SS dont see eye to eye much, i'd also like to say the way this thread has turned out makes me feel very uncomfortable.

I mean i wouldnt like a load of people airing their problems with me on one public thread tbh.

I do not wish to be accused of being a bully, if I am with whom those accusations lie. I have abstained from being personal. I don't even have personal gripes, I am just calling it as I see it. tbh.

This thread was created 2 months ago, and got bumped a few days ago. Meanwhile there have been other threads, ie - one in FFP at the moment regarding issues with locked threads and the modding of AH.
    The question I have is, how long is this going to go on for?

What are the proper channels to use to spare a mods feelings?

Help desk - doesn't work. Takes too long to approve and only a select few can reply.
    PM - doesn't work. Should be used for personal reasons, imo.
    Mod forum - doesn't work for that. Only a select few can have their say.

Feedback - It is what it is. The system of using feedbck to air your grievances was fine before. Don't see why it can't be used for this reason. Every one gets their say and their input.

If anyone has an issue with me or my modding, by all means start a thread on it here. I don't see the difference on being made accountable for my actions on here or elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Kiera wrote: »
    While myself and SS dont see eye to eye much, i'd also like to say the way this thread has turned out makes me feel very uncomfortable.

I mean i wouldnt like a load of people airing their problems with me on one public thread tbh.

I think it's a critique of moderating rather than a critique of the person moderating. When you take on the task of moderating you leave yourself open for critics, let that be in Feedback Helpdesk or Prison.

You are not a moderator so nobody is entitled to pass comments on your moderating.

Also, crap from other forums should not be brought into, what is essentially, an AH moderating critique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

The question I have is, how long is this going to go on for?

by which you mean, "how long will be it be before we get what we want?" I guess. Maybe you wont - ever think of that? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

TheZohan wrote: »
    I think it's a critique of moderating rather than a critique of the person moderating. When you take on the task of moderating you leave yourself open for critics, let that be in Feedback Helpdesk or Prison.

You are not a moderator so nobody is entitled to pass comments on your moderating.

Also, crap from other forums should not be brought into, what is essentially, an AH moderating critique.
    Ok i geddit now.

• Advertisement

tbh wrote: »
    by which you mean, "how long will be it be before we get what we want?" I guess. Maybe you wont - ever think of that? :)

It's not only me with the problem though. I am not making this whole thing about my own issue, but from what I have read here and elsewhere in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

It's not only me with the problem though. I am not making this whole thing about my own issue, but from what I have read here and elsewhere in general.

what's your ideal resolution for this issue? Sharpshooter gets fired?

Can mods be fired for overzealous modding? I haven't seen it happen before, but I have only been here a few years. I don't think there is a system in place to do this, but it seems a little off that a mod can be fired against their will if they were only doing what they thought was best.

One would think however, that if they are getting so many abrasive complaints about them, they may realise they may not suit the modding of the forum and would step down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Can mods be fired for overzealous modding? I haven't seen it happen before, but I have only been here a few years. I don't think there is a system in place to do this, but it seems a little off that a mod can be fired against their will if they were only doing what they thought was best.

One would think however, that if they are getting so many abrasive complaints about them, they may realise they may not suit the modding of the forum and would step down.
    Agreed but I personally dont think this is the thread to discuss it given that we are now pretty much talking about one mod. As such the dynamics of the thread have changed.

Agreed but I personally dont think this is the thread to discuss it given that we are now pretty much talking about one mod. As such the dynamics of the thread have changed.

Thats true, you are right there. This thread, like others went back to that one mod though (not by me, initially)
    To be honest, I am sick of seeing all these threads go back to that. I am sure others are too.

Why are they though? I think because the system currently in place won't facilitate this type of discussion properly.

If I were to start a thread anywhere saying what I have said, it would surely be locked and I'd probably get told off for doing so.

Soooooo we just sweep it all under the carpet then?

What's everyone having for lunch today?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Just because an admin doesnt post here , doesnt mean its being ignored or that nothing is being done.

My opinion on this , the original point of the thread, If the mod has a good enough reason to close the thread, and lets the users know why the thread is being closed then thats good enough for me. If users want the thread re-opened and can provide good enough reason for it to be re-opened, then the mod should be able to change his or her mind without it being seen as a weakness in the mod or a victory for the users. its not either, its just how a forum should run.

On the seperate issue that was raised in this thread. I am well aware that there are non-AH reasons for some of the criticism being levelled at the mod in question and I am way way less than happy that a legitimate issue is being used as a front for a hidden agenda. The underlying issue is being discussed and will be dealt with.

As for mods being fired for over-zealous modding. cant remember it ever happening (I could be wrong) but generally it is resolved by a cmod or admin having a word and the mod agreeing to tone it down a bit.

thanks

LoLth

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I am still awaiting some sort of reply from Rabies as to what justifies the complete locking of a thread for no other reason than the thread is "pointless".

Also, if there are issues with SharpShooter specifically, it might be best to make a specific thread for those complaints. It does seem like several people are unhappy with ongoing decisions taken.

I don't think it's right or mature to label criticism as "bullying" or malicious, especially when any grievance I've read was strictly about decisions taken in AH or moderating style. Not exactly personal abuse. Having said that, the criticism is a little insidious. So perhaps taking the discussion somewhere else, where the admins will actually (have to) deal with it, might be better for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I am still awaiting some sort of reply from Rabies as to what justifies the complete locking of a thread for no other reason than the thread is "pointless".

Also, if there are issues with SharpShooter specifically, it might be best to make a specific thread for those complaints. It does seem like several people are unhappy with ongoing decisions taken.

I don't think it's right or mature to label criticism as "bullying" or malicious, especially when any grievance I've read was strictly about decisions taken in AH or moderating style. Not exactly personal abuse. Having said that, the criticism is a little insidious. So perhaps taking the discussion somewhere else, where the admins will actually (have to) deal with it, might be better for everyone.

in 99% of the forums on boards.ie "pointles" more than justifies the locking of a thread. maybe in AH there is an exception and that is being discussed, not jsut for this thread but hopefully as a way to reduce the "iffy" area of thread closure as much as possible in future.

If there are issues with a mod, any mod, them raise them with the cmod. thats what they are there for. if the cmod decides it has merit, then it will be referred to teh admins and discussion will take place and a resolution found. trial by popular opinion is not, and never should be, the way issues are handled on boards. what next? do we post a poll to see if a user should be banned? Do we allow users to votekick other users - awarding an automatic forum or siteban if x number of users vote in favour?

You are correct, it is not mature to label criticism as bullying or malicious however, it is not wise not to at least recognise when criticism goes past the point of being a concerned opinion and becomes a means to an end. Throw enough mud and some is bound to stick has never been a fair tactic imho.

• Advertisement

LoLth wrote: »
    Just because an admin doesnt post here , doesnt mean its being ignored or that nothing is being done.

My opinion on this , the original point of the thread, If the mod has a good enough reason to close the thread, and lets the users know why the thread is being closed then thats good enough for me. If users want the thread re-opened and can provide good enough reason for it to be re-opened, then the mod should be able to change his or her mind without it being seen as a weakness in the mod or a victory for the users. its not either, its just how a forum should run.

I agree here.
    On the seperate issue that was raised in this thread. I am well aware that there are non-AH reasons for some of the criticism being levelled at the mod in question and I am way way less than happy that a legitimate issue is being used as a front for a hidden agenda. The underlying issue is being discussed and will be dealt with.

I started this thread regarding the Pointless Debate thread 2 months ago. The issue was resolved, then another mod stepped in to lock the thread again. Since, this thread has gone off on a tangent regarding other decisions on locked threads. Specifically an issue that has already been raised in a different thread in the FFP forum. Again, that was not the topic of the thread. But I am seeing a pattern here. People are talking about the issues but not giving ideas for any solutions. This is an ongoing issue that hasn't seemed to be addressed.

I gave mine idea for a solution. I posted what I thought. I have no hidden agendas and it is certainly nothing to do with anything beyond the moderation of AH.

Advertisement